It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most expensive food I could find at the supermarket came as something of a suprise.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I have been doing some research for a new youtube channel I am setting up.

I came across a bag of dryed apple chips for kids. they are called Kiddylicious Apple Crisps. its only 60p and I imagine the kind of thing you would put in a lunchbox as a healthy snack.

The problem is though when you work out the cost per kilo. A whopping £50 per kilo.

Compare that with an actual apple which cost £1.15 a kilo and you see a pretty hefty profit margin there even factoring in the weight loss due to the drying process.

It really is amazing how we look at the price per unit and not the price per kilo.

Another example is the good old pepperami(snack salami) 70p for a 25 gram stick coming in at £28 per kilo.

Compare that to deli counter Italian Milano Salami at £12 a kilo and you see it's more than double the price of proper imported stuff.

The only other one I'll mention is Walkers crisps at £17 per kilo. potatoes retail at around .75p per kilo.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
that is why I make my own crisps whenever I can, two large potato can create the same amount as a 170 gram bag bought at the store i save a ton of money for a little effort and no preservatives or addatives.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

the more processing (and time) involved, the more cost passed onto the consumer.

You could buy a dehydrator and dry your own apples. They aren't that expensive. Cutting up the apples and electricity involved drying aren't that expensive… the time you have to do all that isn't that expensive, is it?

Actually it probably is. I used to dry fruit for storage, the reason I did that. Its a sterile process to make any sizable amount. it rots easy, is time consuming and aww hell, just buy the snacks already. Better than candy bars, right?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Check if your supermarket has fresh black truffles. In the states they can run over $200 a pound.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daavin
that is why I make my own crisps whenever I can, two large potato can create the same amount as a 170 gram bag bought at the store i save a ton of money for a little effort and no preservatives or addatives.

Me too although I prefer to make Parsnip or beetroot.

My Step kids loved them and would choose them over store bought any day of the week.

Another one to bear in mind if you have kids, Cheese string spaghetti works out at £26 per kilo.

Compare that to Standard cheddar at around £6 a kilo or Parmigiano Reggiano Parmesan at £21 a kilo and you can see why people say they can't afford to feed there families.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I don't mind that so much due to there rarity I was pointing out that a lot of prepacked foods are more expensive than high quality ingredients.

One day I will buy a black truffle, but not today.

a reply to: ChefSlug

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

never thought of parsnip I love them gonna try that.

Thanks

link   
Oh great. Forced to convert to thinking in metric and foreign money again. I got up too early, I need to go take a nap.

link   
Or maybe give them an apple?

a reply to: intrptr

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Dried apple slices would be $36 dollars a pound.

I think I have that right, 2.2 pounds in a kilo, 1.6 dollars to the pound.

edit on 1120141130pAmerica/Chicago2014-11-04T08:10:30-06:0010f10 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Well that's the food industry, isn't it? They aren't going to stop any time soon, producing way over-priced unhealthy food, watching the world turn to obesity or starvation (depending on where you are) and cashing in their hefty pay check.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
You need to brine them first and cook at lower temp, beetroot are best.

Don't try raddish I still shudder when I think about raddish crisps.

a reply to: Daavin

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Or maybe give them an apple?

Aren't those considered terrorist weapons at schools nowadays?

You can hurl the whole thing, slip on the core, or spit seeds.

Very dangerous.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

All joking aside, have you looked into "shrinkflation" ? How goods are shrinking in weight and quality but prices remain the same? Bags of chips are filled with air and going down from 8 ounces to 7.25 ounces to 6.1 ounces and so on.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Yes it's standard practice i beleive. Acording to a friend of mine it was done with a certain chocolate bar here in the uk a few years ago. They quitetly lowered the weight over a couple of years whilst increasing the price.

Then they bought the old size bar back called the big one or something and charged even more for it.

It's quite clever really.

a reply to: intrptr

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

All joking aside, have you looked into "shrinkflation" ? How goods are shrinking in weight and quality but prices remain the same? Bags of chips are filled with air and going down from 8 ounces to 7.25 ounces to 6.1 ounces and so on.

Boxes of cereal are so small now. Lucky to get two bowls out of one box, I remember when a box of cereal lasted a week. And they are double the price now too...

Heck, only 15 years ago you could buy a weeks worth of groceries for $20, now that gets you maybe lunch and dinner for one day.
edit on 4-11-2014 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Or just over half an ounce of apple chips.

I ditched cereals years ago apart from value brand bran flakes, there actually pretty good.

a reply to: WP4YT

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
At Christmas last year I decided I'd like to cook a goose. I did it 30 years ago when we lived in Germany. So I finally found a store with a goose.
Just to let you know a comparison:
a ham to serve the same # was about $25
a turkey to serve the same # was about $15
the goose was $60

My first thought?
We have tons of geese that live around our area, we even have to stop the cars sometimes to let them pass on the road.
I thought I know how to gut and pluck a chicken a goose can't be all that different.
He he

Bought a turkey.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I always wait until around 6 oclock christmas eve to do my shopping.

Last year I got an organic freerange turkey for 87p (about $1.40)

a reply to: grandmakdw

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Same thing with Beef Jerky here in the states. It's god awful expensive to purchase in the store! (aprox. 20 - 25 dollars per pound)

I had a dehydrator, and used to process people's deer for them for 1/2 their deer's meat - which for most people was worth it since many people hunt for the sport of it rather than the meat - and one of the things I would make was jerky out of it.

I had an awesome recipe for the marinade and its fairly easy to make, the time is simply the cutting into thin strips and marinating for 24 hours - then dehydrating in the dehydrator.

It used to sell (as I sold to truck drivers etc) for 60 dollars a pound. It was a way I made a little extra money... and it worked since the meat itself was free - again just time involved in the processing of it. Believe it or not, I had repeat customers! Even at that price!

That is really really expensive, especially since no meat would cost that per pound!
edit on 4-11-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join