It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anybody Know A Way To Expose Someone For 'Stolen Valor'?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

Actually on a personal level, he's generally not a bad kid (I don't hate him, or anything). When I heard of this today however, I got upset, and wanted him to be outed.

So no, it isn't personal.

Okay. Personally I would just smile and realise it's just a dumb kid trying to impress some ladies but if you are that upset I say go ahead and try to shame the guy...he shouldn't be telling things that aren't true. Maybe he'll learn a valuable lesson..

Peace

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
seems to be a thing, I had seen youtube videos on dudes posing as vets getting called out, I didnt think ppl would do such crap but yes, humans are shallow.

one of many lol

GURL LOOK AT THESES MEDALS
IM SPEC OPS

edit on 31-10-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

Actually on a personal level, he's generally not a bad kid (I don't hate him, or anything). When I heard of this today however, I got upset, and wanted him to be outed.

So no, it isn't personal.

Okay. Personally I would just smile and realise it's just a dumb kid trying to impress some ladies but if you are that upset I say go ahead and try to shame the guy...he shouldn't be telling things that aren't true. Maybe he'll learn a valuable lesson..

Peace

Unfortunately, that's probably the case. It might just be the 'Dad' in me, but I really want him to realize what he's doing.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

It's disgusting. These guys are among the lowest, in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

I have a friend (also a kid, 23) who is a borderline pathological liar but he is just trying to be as bad as "the big boys". It makes for a lot of entertainment when you have a good memory because every other conversation he contradicts himself on previous stories and reminding him of what he had told makes for the best reaction and backpaddling you've ever seen...

Peace

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I have a friend (also a kid, 23) who is a borderline pathological liar but he is just trying to be as bad as "the big boys". It makes for a lot of entertainment when you have a good memory because every other conversation he contradicts himself on previous stories and reminding him of what he had told makes for the best reaction and backpaddling you've ever seen...

Peace

I worked with one of those at my last job. The kid lived in a virtual world of his own creation (complete with wedding invites, where he was marrying someone who didn't exist). lol.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with lying to get laid, one time I told a girl I was an astronaut, quickest head ever.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: nrd101
There's nothing wrong with lying to get laid, one time I told a girl I was an astronaut, quickest head ever.

Lots of guys do that, but the lies this kid is telling are so disrespectful, that I refuse to let him get away with them.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: corvuscorrax

It's honestly true, I have a friend who is a Vet, and he tells me all the time, that isn't a selling point for most women, as he does have PTSD, He gets a loud thunder or lightning crack and he hits the deck.

So why the guy would lie to women about it makes no sense, I'm guessing he has no idea women aren't always into that.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: iclimbtowers

It's honestly true, I have a friend who is a Vet, and he tells me all the time, that isn't a selling point for most women, as he does have PTSD, He gets a loud thunder or lightning crack and he hits the deck.

So why the guy would lie to women about it makes no sense, I'm guessing he has no idea women aren't always into that.

This kid really doesn't know much about anything. Seriously, if you were to have a conversation with him, it's like reading a book that only has a table of contents, and nothing else.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

You could even do a little fact digging yourself, and do the same thing, its sad and the men and women who do go over there, don't deserved to be disgraced like that.

I also enjoy dogging a liar out and making them see who they really are.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: iclimbtowers
So why the guy would lie to women about it makes no sense,

He's a kid...

I'm guessing he has no idea women aren't always into that.

23 and not a clue.....who'd thunk.

Peace

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
What's the point of the shaming? Why not just privately tell him you don't believe him?
Sounds like a bit of mental illness he has.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: meomy
What's the point of the shaming? Why not just privately tell him you don't believe him?
Sounds like a bit of mental illness he has.

If he has a mental illness, it's Chronic Douchebag Syndrome. Hell, for all I know, he'll pull that out of his hat for the sympathy vote.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I just got some good tips on what to ask from a buddy who's an Afghan war vet. Plus, some suggestions here have helped. Thank you all.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Back when I was a young private in the 101'st we were in company formation and the first sergeant was passing out mail.

He came across a piece of mail addressed to a Captain Jim Johnson.
We did not have a Captain Jim Johnson.
We did, however, have a Private Jim Johnson.

Jimmy was on KP for the weekend.
He was Captain Crapola for the next year and a half until he changed duty stations.

This stuff has a way of coming out at the worst possible time.

edit on 31-10-2014 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: badgerprints
Back when I was a young private in the 101'st we were in company formation and the first sergeant was passing out mail.

He came across a piece of mail addressed to a Captain Jim Johnson.
We did not have a Captain Jim Johnson.
We did, however, have a Private Jim Johnson.

Jimmy was on KP for the weekend.
He was Captain Crapola for the next year and a half until he changed duty stations.

That is beautiful, I love it.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Why he's doing it, isn't really the point, is it?

Indeed. But the reason you are asking our help in shaming him is....

Peace

Because it is offensive that anyone would falsely claim to be or represent something they are not--a veteran. The thing about many veterans is that they were frequently put in very hostile and frightening positions and pretending to be one of those individuals. I'm not a vet and yet, I find it offensive, too. I think he should eat crow and I don't even know the guy or ProfessorChaos offline.

If a politician using a fake war story is worthy of public recrimination in the press, then I'd say the distaste towards the practice is more typical than atypical.

Here's an article from the NY Times discussing various points of views on that particular practice and the problems with it:
roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Found this on a military site...

I have a very fool-proof way to spot fake veterans. You know the type. Talk loud in bars. Talk about some technical aspects of guns, but may or may not have ever fired them. Talk, talk, talk,....but.....never served one day. My question that gets a blank look every time: WHAT IS YOUR SECOND GENERAL ORDER ??? OK, in the Navy, we had 11. I believe the Army has only three, but they are a mix of the ones the Navy had. Not sure of the Air Force or Marines, BUT, I am sure we all had to recite them from rote memory in boot camp. I am pretty sure EVERYONE had them drilled into them. Even if you can't remember the exact words, or the number, you CAN say some of them, I will bet. The fakers just stare blankly at me and the even stupider ones ask..."What is that?". Please any other vets, post what you remember in this thread so we can all know and weed out the fakes. What I remember from the Navy is; 1. To take charge of this post and all government property in view. 2. To walk my post in a military manner, always observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing. 3. To talk to no one except in the line of duty. 11. To quit my post only when properly relieved. Number ?. To pass on all orders from posts more distant than my own. That's all I remember, but it sure nails the SOB's that never served. They can study guns, planes, uniforms all day long, but unless they had to repeat them while doing pushups in the rain like we all had to, they are not fooling anyone.....BUSTED !!!

This sounds like it will work.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Pass your suspicions on to your supervisor. If management has concerns they'll likely ask him to produce his DD-214. End of story. As a veteran I could care less about some young punk puttin' on the BS to get laid. However, if he's making himself out to be a vet in order to secure otherwise out of reach employment, reap monetary benefit or scam for profit--well that's another story. Finally: be careful who you set out to "shame". He could be legit. If you haven't the knowledge to prove or disprove well you could be playing with fire so to speak.

This guy for instance knows his stuff and proceeds accordingly:

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join