It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Anybody Know A Way To Expose Someone For 'Stolen Valor'?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here's the background for my question:

I work with a guy, who (until recently had claimed he'd been in the National Guard, and never shipped out, had finished basic, and was let out because of asthma, but had a friend who'd died overseas in battle) has been telling the new female employees (first hint) that he'd done a tour in Afghanistan before working with us.

A friend at work asked him today why he'd never mentioned his tour of duty during his many discussions in which he'd tell stories about Basic Training. This guy claimed that he'd never felt comfortable enough with us (we've worked together for two years, remember), yet was comfortable enough to woo the girls after a couple of weeks (second hint).

My friend asked him when he'd been deployed. He said, three, or four years ago (third hint).

When asked where he'd been stationed while in Afghanistan. He couldn't remember (fourth hint).

My question is, is there a way to prove him to be a liar, and shame him for it?

He works with actual war vets, and what he's doing is extremely disrespectful to them.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Sure, you need one of the vet's you work with to help you out though, have him talk about a base he was stationed at, make sure the base is fake, but sounds decent, and try to get the "faker" to agree, if he does you don't have to call him out, you'll just know.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

He works with actual war vets, and what he's doing is extremely disrespectful to them.

Sounds like he is desperate to belong. Give him a chance to eat crow in front of those he lied to. If he does give him credit for that at least. Then go on down the road.

If he refuses to butter up, then expose him in front of his peers. Just be sure you are guiltless of lying before you do.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: iclimbtowers

Clever! I find it kinda funny that he'd lie to women about that. Doesn't seem like it would work on most women. May as well say 'hey I could have PTSD and a helluva temper, wanna go out?"

edit on 31-10-2014 by corvuscorrax because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Why bother? (Sorry for the short reply but it is an honest question).

Peace

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: iclimbtowers
Sure, you need one of the vet's you work with to help you out though, have him talk about a base he was stationed at, make sure the base is fake, but sounds decent, and try to get the "faker" to agree, if he does you don't have to call him out, you'll just know.

Yes, I spent a little time talking to one of them today, who has two tours in Iraq to his credit. He's a quiet sort, so I'm not sure how involved he'll want to become, but he definitely agrees that this kid (he's just turned 23, by the way) needs a wake up.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: operation mindcrime

Why bother? (Sorry for the short reply but it is an honest question).

Peace

I made it clear in my original post why I feel that I should bother. His amazing level of disrespect for real veterans is enough for me to want to nail this kid.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Karma man, karma. thats what this comes down to, Can you see the unforeseen?

What if he loses his job, and decides to kill you? In your sleep...

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Ask him if he remembers his service number. (Hint) it would be his SSN. Then ask what rate or rank he was.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

post it up on some facebook pages. ie pog boot #s or just the tip of the spear. thats one of the things they do.
-marine combat vet

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Maybe I read it wrong but what I got from your original post is:

- A young man (just turned 23) is telling your female colleagues how he's seen action overseas.

To me this just sounds like some guy trying to impress some women.

Sorry if I got it wrong.

Peace

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: nrd101
Karma man, karma. thats what this comes down to, Can you see the unforeseen?

What if he loses his job, and decides to kill you? In your sleep...

He doesn't have the skills, or the stomach for it (hence the OP, lol).

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
Ask him if he remembers his service number. (Hint) it would be his SSN. Then ask what rate or rank he was.

There's a few of us working on him separately. I'll bring it up when I'm back on Monday.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Sorry for the interuption (again..lol) but it sounds like your beef with this guy is more personal than the reason you are stating in your OP.

Peace

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Maybe I read it wrong but what I got from your original post is:

- A young man (just turned 23) is telling your female colleagues how he's seen action overseas.

To me this just sounds like some guy trying to impress some women.

Sorry if I got it wrong.

Peace

Why he's doing it, isn't really the point, is it?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Sorry for the interuption (again..lol) but it sounds like your beef with this guy is more personal than the reason you are stating in your OP.

Peace

Actually on a personal level, he's generally not a bad kid (I don't hate him, or anything). When I heard of this today however, I got upset, and wanted him to be outed.

So no, it isn't personal.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

Indeed. But the reason you are asking our help in shaming him is....

Peace

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

Indeed. But the reason you are asking our help in shaming him is....

Peace

The reason is that he's stealing valor. I happen to find that to be detestable.

link   
I thought it was illegal to lie about being a vet ... or is that just wearing the uniform? I am sure there were news stories about this in the past few years.

link   

originally posted by: InvisibleOwl
I thought it was illegal to lie about being a vet ... or is that just wearing the uniform? I am sure there were news stories about this in the past few years.

I know that there's a 'Stolen Valor' Act, but I'm not sure what it entails.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join