It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The French SNAIL Thread....

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Hi Boys and Girls...

It is I... Rodinus... your infamous amateur snail serial killer...

Back again with the final and most important part of this gastronomic adventure with our slimey friends.

So... I deliberately took an extra day to respond back as wanted to go through the whole quarantine thing in case I ended up with an upset stomach... (1 day is better that 21 days...)

To cook the snails that I had already prepared... I simply warmed up our oven (10 minutes beforehand at 200 (electric oven)) and then placed the loaded plate inside the oven for 35 minutes)... NO MORE THAN 35 minutes as this will dry them out.

The result was this :

I would like to add that there is a varient to this recipie which involves covering my same recipie with breadcrumbs and extra garlic before placing in the oven...

OR :

Just after taking the snails out of the oven after 35 minutes sprinkling them with a small glass of Pastis or Pernod and setting fire to them (Flambé)

Anyways...

After the 35 minutes, take the snails out of the oven and serve... with the aid of a small needle or special "pique" as they call it in France your snail should ressemble this when you pull it out of the shell :

Notice the curly whitish part of the snail at the end... this is the stomach... if it is this colour you can eat it... if it is darker then best just to cut it off and eat the rest (darker means that you have not purged them correctly).

Some people actually pull out the snails from their shells before cooking and cut away the stomach before putting back into the shells for cooking.

This is what the plate looked after eating... My son Rod Jr kindly joined in (Teamwork at its very best) and with the help of a freshly baked baguette mopped up all remaining garlic sauce :

For extra information... these lovely little gastropds can be washed down with a couple of glasses of chilled dry Sauvignon...

HOWEVER... and also very important for your wellbeing...

You will notice that you may become extremely thirsty after eating snails... due to the salt and butter content (and maybe the Sauvignon too), so always best to relish in small quantities... (This symptom can be easily observed on a nighttime by your beloved other half when you are snoring your head off and dribbling all over the pillow)

BON APPETIT...

So... on the last part of our sejour into discovering snails... I will leave you all with this...

DAM THOSE SNAILS WERE GOOD...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

Ps. I am not responsable for anyone dying or contracting an infectious disease because of this thread and all complaints and lawsuits should be adressed to no-one in particular...
Apart from Springer or Skeptic Overlord or just for the fun Beezzer...
edit on 24/10/14 by Rodinus because: Grammar check

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I know that a lot of folks don't want to try snails because they are 'yukky'. But really, they are very tasty. I enjoy snail but they have to be done just right otherwise they are rubbery. And the garlic can't be too heavy or too lite. There is an art to cooking snail. And yes, the French recipes are the best for this.

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jainine
I know that a lot of folks don't want to try snails because they are 'yukky'. But really, they are very tasty. I enjoy snail but they have to be done just right otherwise they are rubbery. And the garlic can't be too heavy or too lite. There is an art to cooking snail. And yes, the French recipes are the best for this.

Vive la France...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 27 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

Legend !

Mario cart was also funny !

edit on 27-10-2014 by Timely because: plenty of recipes on line ... if that is your thing .

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Timely

Legend !

Mario cart was also funny !

Legend he is indeed... Glad to know that there are other people out there who appreciate French humour...

Warmest respects

Rod

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I am starting to get a little worried here...

No-one has answered my thread and am wondering if everyone has died of food poisoning or not??

Kindest respects *runs to catch a one way ticket to Venezuala*... Or the moon if you are in a disco mood...

Rodinus
edit on 29/10/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I thought it was great.

What's your next presentation?

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I thought it was great.

What's your next presentation?

Hmmmm... could be French frogs legs or wild mushroom recipies...

I suggest a vote... after lets say 20 votes... the average winning vote gets the thread...

Frogs legs?

OR

Wild mushrooms?

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 29/10/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

Frogs legs?

OR

Wild mushrooms?

Mushrooms, since my wife will not eat frogs legs.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Frogs legs?

OR

Wild mushrooms?

Mushrooms, since my wife will not eat frogs legs.

ONE down... 19 to go...

Your missus has not eaten the right frogs legs.... Mine are much sexier *coughs*

So they say?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Apologies I am siting in a hotel with bad WiFi connection and it is screwing up my quoting for some strange reason?

Erm...

I forgot to mention...

AND I can debone them to make the experience more enticing...

Kindest respects

Rod

edit on 29/10/14 by Rodinus because: I hate hotel WiFi!

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Wild mushrooms first ...
We need a short break from the snot and corruption .

Frogs legs - after that.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Frog legs please! Especially if you have video of the hunt for them

Thanks for the cool thread on snails, yum, am now craving a plate full with a couple of baguettes but darn it, I'm gluten free now, no baguettes for me. Has France started baking gluten free baguettes?

Great thread, thanks,

STM
edit on 29-10-2014 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: seentoomuch

Frog legs please! Especially if you have video of the hunt for them

Thanks for the cool thread on snails, yum, am now craving a plate full with a couple of baguettes but darn it, I'm gluten free now, no baguettes for me. Has France started baking gluten free baguettes?

Great thread, thanks,

STM

Oh Bugger... Not easy hunting frogs with a shotgun... But I will try...

No... not the best season but depending in the 20 votes... I will probably work on both threads anway....

Yes, you can even find Gluten free baguettes over here now in France and darned delicious they are....

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Oh Bugger... Not easy hunting frogs with a shotgun... But I will try...

In keeping with the theme of your thread I suggest loading your shotgun with slugs when hunting for the frogs.

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Shotgun for frogs, Lol! And you're right, guess it's too cold there now for frogs. Is it a good season for mushrooms? If not, that's okay, market bought will do. It's the recipes and photos of the plate that work for me, (can you tell that I'm hungry? It's just before dinner time and I'm having a salad, gotta slim a bit to go to my niece's wedding). Am living vicariously through you foodies right now. Only photo food for me.

edit on 29-10-2014 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I vote for wild mushrooms! Then frog legs.
Like someone else mentioned, I need a bit to recover from the grossness of the snail process!

posted on Oct, 30 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I love just about anything with garlic and butter, but I think I'll draw the line somewhere north of a plate of snails. Just give me the cheesy garlic bread and skip the whole bucket of mucous process.

More for the rest of you, though right?

On that note, I leave you with the brilliant comedy styling of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore and their classic bit, The Frog and Peach.

If you've never seen it, it's hilarious. If you have, then here it is again:

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
As it is not the "Frog hunting" season so to speak right now, I have decided to go ahead with the wild mushroom option and get back to the frogs in Spring next year.

We are going out mushroom picking on Saturday so will start the thread off as from beginning of next week.

Thanks for all your feedback folks.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Derek and Clive - live .

That is all !

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join