It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The French SNAIL Thread....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Those are good, too, but when it came to sushi, I just told myself that if it was all that bad for your, the Japanese would have died out a long, long time ago.

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Snails are good...escargot!

I just buy em in a can, put them in the shells with butter, garlic and shallots and bake...

Ta-da! Great with a crusty baguette!

If you order escargot at a restaurant, 99% of the time they came from a can. It's cheaper to do it at home in yourself

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I have had them, not my favorite. However I am interested in the whole process, lead on Rodinus, I look forward to reading all about it.

Evidently some snails have mad skills......

edit on 13-10-2014 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2014 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I knew when I saw the title of this thread it was by you Rod. LOL
We have a yard full of snails. You can have all you want. EEEEEW!!!!!

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   
There are a couple of steps that have to be respected in order to hunt the snails and keep them in captivity until preparation ;

I will try and explain these steps one by one REAL TIME with pictures each and every day as things plod... or should I say TRAAIIILLLL along.

The steps :

Step one ; Hunting and gathering and protecting yourself

Step two : keeping them alive

Step three : Starving the poor buggers to half death and then equally half drowning them

Step four : Glug Glugh URRGGHHHHHHHH..... ouch it is getting hot in here?

Steps five, six, seven and eight : Ever seen the SAW or Hostel films? Warning graphic pictures will be used for this step...

Step nine : How to cook them

Step 10 : How to avoid indigestion after eating too many garlic and parsley Pastis marinated snails...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Not keen on snails or anything icky.

I do like some French food though, my relationships with France is long and rather complicated.

I would prefer truffle hunting for sure, or even artisan bread making, pomme boulangère, Poulet Aux Quarante Gousses d'Ail.

posted on Oct, 14 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Bare with me folks...

I took loads of pictures this morning with my stupid Iphone just to find out this evening that the Iphone has a glitch and cannot download my pictures (even tried sending them to myself by mail and the pictures were apparently corrupted)

Methinks this is a job for Rod Jr...

This means that I will have to use the camera and take pictures again tomorrow morning so I will be one day late.

My apologies to all.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Well... I am hoping that things will turn out alright today as I asked Mrs R where the charger cable was for the camera in order to RE-take some pics very early this morning... lets see how thing turn out huh?

Anyways... back to the snail slaughter :

Step one : Hunting and gathering and protecting yourself

It should be known that there are two main species of snails that are used for cooking over here in France :

This one which is commonly called l'Escargot de Bourgogne... or for the more posher of you out there or scientifically minded "Helix Pomatia"... these snails can be found very first thing inthe morning when the dew is still on the grass or after a very heavy rainfall...

This is the more expensive snail because of size and colour but in all honesty, us country dwelling folks stick to the common garden snail that I will underline later on...

These snails are normally found (as their name states) in the Bourgogne region which is situated in the East of France but can also be found in the North West of France in Brittany in secluded forests.

More can be found here : en.wikipedia.org...

This guy/girl here (don't forget that snails are hermaphrodites) :

The other snail... the one that my dearly beloved recently passed away father in-law used to prepare for at least a month, (around 1000 snails for the French independance day on the 14th of July) is the Petit Gris (yep... the Little grey... should go down well with ATS methinks?)...

Posh or latin name is the following : Helix aspersa aspersa or Cornu aspersum

More here on the little slimy bugger :

en.wikipedia.org...

This little feller :

The common garden snail... mostly found in any gardens in France apart from the extreme South and can be observed crawling and slithering over everything when the early morning dew is still visible or after it has pissed down with rain overnight...

Anyways...

How to go about hunting the common garden snail... sorry I am too poor for the Bourgogne variety... A mere commoner...

Equipped with wellies (they go for your ankles and have a nasty bite... can even rip your neck out over a 2 week period that it takes for them to slither up your body...)

Go out first thing in the morning when the dew is still on the grass or after a heavy rainfall... over a 3 week period depending on where you live you should be able to catch at least 70 snails.

DO NOT grab them on the smimy part of their bodies as they do not appreciate human salt secretion and will start to shrivel... always pick them gently up by the shells...

I tend to place my snails in our compost bin which provides a good scource of food for them (veg scraps, egg cartons etc etc)...

Don't throw them into the compost bin... this will only crack their shells and kill them... the slow killing thingummyjig will come along a little later in the thread... Bwahahahahahahaha....

The compost bin is kept closed and I spray with water once a week to help the composting process and also keep the snails Hydrated.

Here is the compost bin :

Step 2 keeping them alive to be continued tomorrow.

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 15/10/14 by Rodinus because: Crap spelling

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

You know, they are really delicious...but so damn nasty. Its really gross. They may taste like heaven but they are not meant to be eaten. Freaking yuck.

I love lobster for example but cant eat it. Its a bug from the ocean to me. I only eat bugs when I am starving. Fire cooked snakes smell delicious but I cant eat that crap. Its not like there is a shortage of food where I have to hypnotize my body to accept things it wouldnt naturally. Certain things shouldnt be eaten. We just fool our bodies into eating weird crap out of culinary boredom.

Its like sexual deviancy out of boredom. You dont NEED to do weirdo stuff to your partner, you just get tired of the same old same old. You can spice things up and get way out there without having to resort to angry butt sex with the devil for kicks.

Its a damned slug in a shell.

edit on 10 15 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Equipped with wellies (they go for your ankles and have a nasty bite... can even rip your neck out over a 2 week period that it takes for them to slither up your body...)

Lmao! Thanks for that. Vicious ankle biting snails. Here in the US we call children, 'ankle biters'. lol
edit on 15-10-2014 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

You know, they are really delicious...but so damn nasty. Its really gross. They may taste like heaven but they are not meant to be eaten. Freaking yuck.

I love lobster for example but cant eat it. Its a bug from the ocean to me. I only eat bugs when I am starving. Fire cooked snakes smell delicious but I cant eat that crap. Its not like there is a shortage of food where I have to hypnotize my body to accept things it wouldnt naturally. Certain things shouldnt be eaten. We just fool our bodies into eating weird crap out of culinary boredom.

Its like sexual deviancy out of boredom. You dont NEED to do weirdo stuff to your partner, you just get tired of the same old same old. You can spice things up and get way out there without having to resort to angry butt sex with the devil for kicks.

Its a damned slug in a shell.

Tad...

You have never savoured the real way to eat snails mate...

Correctly prepared (not the canned variety)... over here in France and you will have a gastronomic orgasm my friend...

You are kindly invited to try this out whilst also chugging down lots of Loire valley wine at the same time...

What does angry butt sex have to do with snails? (I thought that type of comment was only for Saturday nights between consenting adults or snails?)

Actully... many years ago when I was just a mere foot soldier we went on a survival course... dried slugs and worms powdered down after eing slow cooked on hot rocks are a marvellous source of protein and taste quite nice when mixed with hot water as a soup...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 15/10/14 by Rodinus because: My spelling has gone to pot now that I am over the 40s?

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Thanks man. I appreciate good food being offered from nice people.

I have tried them fresh picked in northern Spain. We get the regular ones you mentioned before. They are everywhere in the morning after it rains, you are right. I like the taste but I have a mental block. Even though I will be salivating over the aroma of something I dont normally eat ,my brain can kick in and tell me I am going to die if I chew another bite...lol

I think one day I will get over it since I really do like the taste. Its just a cultural issue. Maybe I will meet some awesome person like you who will blow my mind and melt away my phobia with an irresistible dish. I am always a volunteer for a decent bottle of wine too!

have a good one buddy.

edit on 10 15 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Thanks man. I appreciate good food being offered from nice people.

I have tried them fresh picked in northern Spain. We get the regular ones you mentioned before. They are everywhere in the morning after it rains, you are right. I like the taste but I have a mental block. Even though I will be salivating over the aroma of something I dont normally eat ,my brain can kick in and tell me I am going to die if I chew another bite...lol

I think one day I will get over it since I really do like the taste. Its just a cultural issue. Maybe I will meet some awesome person like you who will blow my mind and melt away my phobia with an irresistible dish. I am always a volunteer for a decent bottle of wine too!

have a good one buddy.

*Uncorks bottle of Dry Sauvignon, Chai des Sablons 2012*... POP....

Erm... actually not a good idea? only 11:03 over here in the morning?

Kindest respects

Rodinus...

Ho Hum, better stick it in the fridge for later on???

posted on Oct, 15 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Non - merci !

Cody has had me dry reaching at the thought!

Not to mention my Father in-law who is Italian - making his own - from garden snails !

This is Australia mate! Same as frogs legs ! Why ....

Get a pie into ya mate !!

Maybe even a chicko roll or two !

Kill a cow or a pig or a chook !!

Or just chuck a prawn on the barbie !!

en.wikiquote.org...

Non.

Ed: Forgot about your much touted reds .

Humble apologies. I hear escargot is a wonderful dish ... I should be so lucky ...

*bows out gracefully

edit on 15-10-2014 by Timely because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-10-2014 by Timely because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-10-2014 by Timely because: maaate !

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Step 2 keeping them alive :

Well, the snails that I have here at home have been chomping on all of our veggie waste for the past couple of months and at the same time giving us a great compost for next years tomatoes...

Happy little slimy buggers they are and on an evening when I open up the compost bin they are all stuck to the surface of the lid for the fresher temperatures and humidity as down at the bottom of the compost bin the temperature is a degree or so warmer during the day and much drier.

This morning at the crack of dawn the snails moved house in order to be readied for the purge in 3 days time :

What is needed :

A plant pot big enough to hold roughly 70 to 100 snails

Saucer filled with water under the plant pot so that the snails have constant humidity

Large panel of rigid chicken wire to prevent snails escaping and attacking everyone

Saucer to place on chickenwire to provide shade

One large brick or stone to hold the chicken wire down as the snails can actually push off the chicken wire...

Here is the pot with the snails in (notice how they are already trying to escape their fate and try and kill us all :

Close up piccy :

Plant pot with chickenwire lid on :

Plant pot with lid on plus rock and saucer underneath and saucer above for shade :

I like to keep the snails busy (lets call it environmental enrichment) so I have placed the pot next to one of our lemon trees as they absolutely love lemon tree leaves... the tree also serves as shade for the pot as snails don't really like direct sunlight :

Oh... just noticed on that pic that the stinky killer kitten from the gateway of hell barged into the photo shoot...

And finally, just to show you all how much the snails love my lemon trees :

These snails will stay in this plant pot for a period of 3 days in order to be completely empty of any food before the next gory episode of the preparation???

Part 3 : The Purge...

Coming up in 3 days time (NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED AS GRAPHIC IMAGES INVOLVED)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 16/10/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I don't like snails, and I often suspect it is the sauce that is really the key- cover anything with butter/garlic/parsley and it is good. Dog poo probably tastes good with that!

I do love frogs legs though, and rabbit (especially grilled with mustard!).

I wonder- do you have any information on the nutritional benefits of snails?

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
I don't like snails, and I often suspect it is the sauce that is really the key- cover anything with butter/garlic/parsley and it is good. Dog poo probably tastes good with that!

I do love frogs legs though, and rabbit (especially grilled with mustard!).

I wonder- do you have any information on the nutritional benefits of snails?

Ahhhhhhh... you don't know what you are missing out on my dear...

When I pop down to the South of France next I will bring you some to try...

And as for the nutriotional benefits, you might be interested in this :

Snails are surprisingly nutritious, as long as you don't eat all the butter often slathered over and around them. Like any animal meat, snails -- which sound much more edible when referred to by their French name of escargot -- provide a hefty dose of protein, little carbohydrate and some fat. Snails also serve as an excellent source of iron and other essential minerals, such as potassium and phosphorus.

healthyeating.sfgate.com...

More detailed information with charts and figures can be found here too :

www.dietaryfiberfood.com...

However... being the gourmand that I am, I DO eat all that garlic and parsley butter.... dribbling just thinking about it...

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 16/10/14 by Rodinus because: Link added

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rodinus

Snails are surprisingly nutritious, as long as you don't eat all the butter often slathered over and around them. Like any animal meat, snails -- which sound much more edible when referred to by their French name of escargot -- provide a hefty dose of protein, little carbohydrate and some fat. Snails also serve as an excellent source of iron and other essential minerals, such as potassium and phosphorus.

Wow! I didn't know that! Thanks!
I'll be honest- I have never actually tried them. Nor have I tried brains or tongue.
Someday I will get over my blockages and actually try.

edit on 16-10-2014 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

originally posted by: Rodinus

Wow! I didn't know that! Thanks!
I'll be honest- I have never actually tried them. Nor have I tried brains or tongue.
Someday I will get over my blockages and actually try.

The easiest way to go about it is to go to your local Leclerc or Carrefour Hypermarket and purchase a box or bag of frozen Bourgogne (already prepared snails).

You just chuck them in the oven for about 30 minutes and hey presto.

Definately worth a try.

I was fairly retiscent about a few things over here when I first arrived in France such as sheeps brain and andouillet sausage but finally after plucking my courage up went for it.

Cannot say that I was impressed so much with the sheeps brains but now I am an unconditional fan of andouillet...
Although TRIPE is still on my DEFINATE NO WAY list...

Go on... I dare you.... I would love to see your comments once you have tasted snails...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Oct, 16 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I *almost* feel bad for them, they have no idea what's coming!

The anticipation is building, it's very neat to 'watch' the process come along. Thanks for keeping us updated! Can't wait for the next post, although it is a little disturbing that I'm excited to start my day with a 'snail progress check'! LOL.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join