It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if we (Conspiracy Theorists) are all actually just crazy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Like many of you, I frequent many different conspiracy sites looking for my 'fix'. I've read an inordinate amount of linked material in posts that proclaim everything imaginable to be a Hoax, False Flag, Illuminati Scheme, etc.

While doing so, a thought occurred to me: What if everything isn't really a conspiracy? What if most things are just unfair, or wrong?

I was willing to believe that all elections are rigged. Why? Because my candidate never wins, no matter who I pick. I mean, the world can't be that screwed up, that so many others willingly vote for the obviously wrong candidate, could it?

Maybe it could.

Could the impetus of all of these wild theories really just be sour grapes? Do we (conspiracy theorists) have legitimate claims, or are we simply finding ways to rationalize the fact that so few others agree with us?

Could the Governments of the world truly be subject to a Cabal of Globalist Puppeteers? Sure. Are they? I don't honestly know.

Inevitably, every news story gets labeled as a hoax perpetrated by 'TPTB', and I'm getting to the point that I simply can't believe that anymore. Sometimes, bombs go off, planes are hijacked, wars break out, celebrities die by accident, and ideologues attain high office by doing little more than lying.

I'm not saying that I don't believe that conspiracies occur; quite the opposite. What I am saying, is that not everything is a conspiracy.

Trying to point this out to fellow conspiracy theorists usually results in finger pointing and being labeled a 'shill', as though I'm somehow getting paid for thinking about things with an open mind. I really wish I was, because then, I wouldn't be worried about making my rent every month.

Bear in mind that I'm not solely referring to threads on ATS.

I wanted this thread to be a bit more profound, but I guess what I'm wondering here, is: Am I the only one that feels this way?
edit on 9/27/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: Typo

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

It's not crazy to question, to speculate, to investigate, and to entertain ideas--thinking outside the box is wonderful and it covers all our bases in a good way. Leaving no stone unturned is not crazy, but essential to true understanding. All avenues must be explored.

It becomes crazy when someone lets paranoia and inflexibility run their life into the ground. This is a pitfall in other areas of belief and attitude as well, not just for the conspiracy theorist.

edit on 27-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Most stuff is not a direct plot. Some is. Since real credible information is so tightly controlled now it's impossible to tell one from the other. The general ideas are definitely true. History tells us that quite clearly. Just look at western imperialism to see that the elite pull strings all over.

I doubt there is a single all powerful group that runs everything but there are numerous groups that clearly do manipulate media and world events. The problem lies in assuming that there are a group of people with COMPLETE control. They have enough control for their needs.

Some people are crazy. I know for a fact I'm not since reasonable people agree with me privately. When you try to take these ideas to the public you do sound like a nut job because all subversive ideas are treated that way. Marginalizing the people who see past the curtain is the best way to make things seem A-OK and so the most extreme and crazy (Alex Jones anyone) are given the limelight because their ideas are both the most entertaining and least likely. For every dead on right idea there is ten stories of mole people and the like.

I have a friend who thinks every single thing in the world is a plot and that's impossible. He's certifiably crazy which makes sense given that he was sexually abused by his father at a young age. A single person like that cancels out far more than one reasonable person.

So are you crazy? Who knows? Crazy people rarely think they are. Best bet is to ask a close friend who won't lie to you. Even then you won't know for sure. My parents definitely are worried I'm insane a little bit even though they admit that there are serious problems with the way things are run. They also gave the benefit of the doubt since they know I'm very well balanced and well educated.

Any idea or activity that deviates from societal norms is perceived as crazy so by most mainstream definitions I am (especially in how I value happiness over wealth) but I know I'm not since I've never hurt myself or others and am highly renowned among people who know me for my mental stability.

TLDR : insanity is based on societal norms so hard to say.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Depends what the definition of "crazy" is. Whether it's the person who completely cannot function in society and is a danger to themselves or others via paranoid delusions, or the person who simply shuns society because it doesn't resonate with them to do things like everybody else. Crazy, like most things, is all a matter of ones own perspective. Everyone has their own individual "thing" that they are passionate about. For some, it's conspiracies. Does it make you crazy if someone points it out because it's different from what they deem "normal"? There's no such thing as normal...and one could argue maybe..no such thing as crazy. What you deem one, somebody else deems the other.
Meh..my two pennies...but I'm CRAZY

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
If you look at the rate of conspiracies that is turning out to actually be a conspiracy VS the amount of conspiracies made or conspiracies turning out to be nothing or never resolved....Yes, conspiracy nut's are "nut's".

As it is a business and highly used as entertainment today, it's "hard" to say what's real, just speculation or pure craziness, though they can sometimes be identified by it's maker or the big picture of the conspiracy and the Impact on the whole world.

The fun fact is, almost all conspiracies involve USA....Hmmm

edit on 27-9-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

It's not crazy to question, to speculate, to investigate, and to entertain ideas--thinking outside the box is wonderful and it covers all our bases in a good way. Leaving no stone unturned is not crazy, but essential to true understanding. All avenues must be explored.

It becomes crazy when someone lets paranoia and inflexibility run their life into the ground. This is a pitfall in other areas of belief and attitude as well, not just for the conspiracy theorist.

I agree. My feelings really are aimed primarily at the obsessive conspiracy theorists that I continually come across on many sites.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
What makes you believe that things are what they appear to be?

Has it never occurred to anyone that "nutters" are the only ones who aren't crazy?

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Actually it's everyone else who are "nutters".

They live orderly boring lives, carefully defined and compartmentalized. They spend their days worrying and talking about the least important things in life. They stay inside the boundaries dictated to them and fear those who dare step outside the box and take a look around. They never open the hood or kick the tires to see what lies underneath.

We spend our days learning about the world around us. They spend their days worrying about the latest fashions, watching celebrities living the lives they wish they had and dotting their I's and crossing their T's.

Nutters make the world go round while normal people watch the world go by.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Murgatroid
What makes you believe that things are what they appear to be?

Has it never occurred to anyone that "nutters" are the only ones who aren't crazy?

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Actually it's everyone else who are "nutters".

They live orderly boring lives, carefully defined and compartmentalized. They spend their days worrying and talking about the least important things in life. They stay inside the boundaries dictated to them and fear those who dare step outside the box and take a look around. They never open the hood or kick the tires to see what lies underneath.

We spend our days learning about the world around us. They spend their days worrying about the latest fashions, watching celebrities living the lives they wish they had and dotting their I's and crossing their T's.

Nutters make the world go round while normal people watch the world go by.

I don't. I thought I made that clear; apologies if I didn't.

The waters have been extremely muddied by those that put forward everything as a conspiracy. I mean, how can someone live like that?

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ProfessorChaos

I agree. My feelings really are aimed primarily at the obsessive conspiracy theorists that I continually come across on many sites.

I understand where you're coming from, but remember that you're looking at a very big and diverse group of people. If a particular individual is pushing for every conspiracy under the sun and attempting to tie them all together in a neat package, then yeah..that's what I meant about allowing paranoia to run one's life. It's no good.

I rarely see this on ATS. I see a lot of individuals who are usually focused on one or two topics at a given time. Look at a bunch of people doing this and it looks like a group of raving lunatics.

This is why conspiracy theorists get such a bad rep--people see us as a homogenous group of the worst type. Please don't whitewash us all because of a few examples
....because that's what they want you to do!

edit on 27-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I understand where you're coming from, but remember that you're looking at a very big and diverse group of people. If a particular individual is pushing for every conspiracy under the sun and attempting to tie them all together in a neat package, then yeah..that's what I meant about allowing paranoia to run one's life. It's no good.

I rarely see this on ATS. I see a lot of individuals who are usually focused on one or two topics at a given time. Look at a bunch of people doing this and it looks like a group of raving lunatics.

This is why conspiracy theorists get such a bad rep--people see us as a homogenous group of the worst type. Please don't whitewash us all because of a few examples
....because that's what they want you to do!

Yeah, maybe the title was a little off. I'm not trying to whitewash everyone, I'm kind of just thinking out loud. Honestly, I may just need to stay away from some of those other sites; they're loaded with the "everything is a conspiracy" crowd.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Like many of you, I frequent many different conspiracy sites looking for my 'fix'. I've read an inordinate amount of linked material in posts that proclaim everything imaginable to be a Hoax, False Flag, Illuminati Scheme, etc.

While doing so, a thought occurred to me: What if everything isn't really a conspiracy? What if most things are just unfair, or wrong?

I wanted this thread to be a bit more profound, but I guess what I'm wondering here, is: Am I the only one that feels this way?

I completely agree with you but has it ever occurred to you that some people are paid to make certain claims which are ridiculous so that when legitimate conspiracy theory occur most of the people don't pay real attention because they are conditioned to see it as a bunch of BS? Although there are lot of people that are mentally ill and pour their paranoid thoughts all over the net, but see themselves as truth hunters and conspiracy theorists.
edit on 27-9-2014 by alomaha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: alomaha

Of course it's occurred to me, I'm a Conspiracy Theorist, lol!

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I am curious and found myself drawn to many of the conspiracy theories. At the same time, I realize that I read them as more entertainment than a documentary. I would have to agree, that the extreme conspirator viewpoints often baffle me. As you, I have wondered how some could possibly live their daily lives? I can only say that I believe that some individuals may live off of the adrenalin rush of thinking they are wiser than everyone else. It is amazing how one's self ego can be inflated by assuming superior knowledge that others do not possess.

I usually have a very lazy neutral position on many topics, though even I find it fun being considered crazy by others in my everyday life. Honestly, I just find debating entertaining. Thanks for the acknowledgement that I am not alone in being fascinated by others conspiratorial discussions. Amazingly, sometimes I even go 'whoa, there's something to that! Or holy moly, this is some really crazy sh*t!' though most never hear or read my response....that is the life of the fly on the wall. Though,
what if there really was such a grandiose conspiracy and the extremists in our views are the actual shills to throw us all off on their craziness that we completely disregard the ultimate truth! Whoa!

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I don't think so, most conspiracy theorists IMO are visionary's into human nature mixed with some imagination, common sense, reasoning and logic.

What would humans be without imagination and curiosity .... no I won't say it.

edit on 27-9-2014 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Numerous studies have demonstrated correlations between creative occupations and mental illnesses, including bipolar disorder and schizophrenia

en.wikipedia.org...

Relax OP, even if we are all mad, we're in good company.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Depends on what conspiracy you're looking at. Some are clearly nuts while many have a strong foundation. There is no doubt there are crazies in the conspiracy world, and they're called nutters.

But I focus on the big conspiracy, one that's been in power since recorded history, the elites, the movers and shakers.

George Carlin puts it all together nicely.

edit on 27-9-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
There's definitely a high percentage of reality challenged folks among CTers.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

In all groups.

Truly I think many conspiracies are disinfo and fed to the world to distract and occupy minds. However, most CTs are very much aware of the threads that make up the tapestry. In my eyes, the crazy ones are the people who believe what the media tells them, go along with the trends and dismiss anything "outside the box" as insane.

CTs if they focus on the truth can help bring the world out of the current dark age.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I live by the philosophy of "nothing is true, everything is permitted" whereby I believe that nothing is entirely true or false, yet, everything is possible, I don't discount any theory or story. For all I know it may be true but at the same time it may be entirely false. Truth is simply a matter of perception.

Kallisti

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Relax OP, even if we are all mad, we're in good company.

Absolutely.

Confirmed by Michael Ellner in the sig quote as well as many others...

The diagnosis of mental illness is always a weapon ~ Dr. Jeffrey Schaler

Psychiatric confinement of sane people is uniformly considered a particularly pernicious form of repression and Soviet punitive psychiatry was one of the key weapons of both illegal and legal repression.

Punitive psychiatry

Following the fall of the Soviet Union, it was often reported that some opposition activists and journalists were detained in Russian psychiatric institutions in order to intimidate and isolate them from society. In modern Russia, human rights activists also face the threat of psychiatric diagnosis as a means of political repression.

US Veterans Forcibly Sequestered in Mental Hospitals

In China today, political dissidents, whistleblowers and government petitioners are being labeled mentally ill, incarcerated in psychiatric wards and subjected to electroshock—a tactic reminiscent of Soviet Russia and the alliance between psychiatry and the police state. This practice is not limited to Russia, China, Cuba or Uzbekistan, all of which currently employ psychiatric incarceration of citizens for political protest.

In the UK, a specialized unit called the Fixated Threat Assessment Centre has been granted the authority to incarcerate anyone who has given inappropriate or threatening communications to a member of government into a psychiatric ward. The assessment teams are made up of police, psychiatrists and psychologists who have been given the authority to evaluate, accuse and detain anyone they consider a threat into a mental facility -- indefinitely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join