It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7/01/2014 -- Bayou Corne sinkhole collapses into AQUIFER - "Active Volcanic + Geothermal"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
It's really getting BAD.

Last flyover, at the start of June 2014, shows the ever expanding collapse area has grown by several acres. New “containment berms” have been built, as the original levee system collapsed.

Now we see breaking news from the Geophysics community in regards to the ongoing earthquake activity at the sinkhole, which is causing further collapse.

The “earthquakes” themselves are being caused by underground movement of GASSES. The release of these gasses are being likened to Volcanic , Geothermal, and Explosive events seen elsewhere in the world.

dutchsinse.tatoott1009.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

The linked website is unsafe according to comodo antivirus.

Be careful going there. folks.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Wow, I am not sure I would stand next to that area. Those trees were getting swallowed up like a snack.
I feel bad for the land owners in that area. Some might loose everything they have. I hope it settles out.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Wow that is getting big. Look how far they pushed the levee out this time..........OMG. How big do they think this is going to get.

Also how deep is this hole? This sinkhole is scary no doubt.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
www.wwltv.com...

"Frustration continues at the Bayou Corne sinkhole despite assurances from parish officials as well as the company that operated the collapsed underground salt dome cavern.
“Texas Brine indicated to the community that they should be able to remove all gas by the end of the year,” said John Boudreaux, director of the Assumption Parish Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. “I would say that it's probably their plan, but I don't believe that can happen”.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Pretty deep hole. There was quite a bit of cable on that spool. That could be faked though, not knowing what the cable itself was made of. Chances are it wasn't, it could be two hundred fifty feet deep no problem. We have old mine shafts that collapsed into lakes that are probably that deep here in spots. We also have mine blasts. Well, that is actually in the copper country, not right here, I come from that location.

The texture and movement of that water almost looks like it is saltwater, I wonder if it has salt in it.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
its best to post this in one of the original threads that was started a couple of years back like this one, www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Is this the mining companies fault?

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17
From all info from the past...YEP!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Pretty deep hole. There was quite a bit of cable on that spool. That could be faked though, not knowing what the cable itself was made of. Chances are it wasn't, it could be two hundred fifty feet deep no problem. We have old mine shafts that collapsed into lakes that are probably that deep here in spots. We also have mine blasts. Well, that is actually in the copper country, not right here, I come from that location.

The texture and movement of that water almost looks like it is saltwater, I wonder if it has salt in it.

The caverns below the original sinkhole are salt domes, so yes, it's most likely a small salt water lake now.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Wow that is getting big. Look how far they pushed the levee out this time..........OMG. How big do they think this is going to get.

Also how deep is this hole? This sinkhole is scary no doubt.

The original salt caverns below the sinkhole came to within 690 feet of the surface. Geologists now believe the hole may be a mile deep. It's become a bubbling lake of methane and hydrogen sulfide gases from the deep.

EDIT: The hole itself is actually 1,000 feet deep, but the gases bubbling up may be coming from a mile below.
edit on 1-7-2014 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17
Is this the mining companies fault?

It may have been that Texas Brine may have triggered an event that was already occurring. NASA airborne radar detected in the year prior to the collapse that the land slid 10 inches sideways like water draining in a bathtub when a usual land subsidence event moves in a vertical direction. The NASA flyover usually records data once a year so they said that the land slippage occurred sometime after June 23, 2011 and before July 2, 2012. The collapse occurred on August 3, 2012. They said there was no surface movement before 2011. So, although Texas Brine has taken all the heat for this, something natural was already occurring and they probably were responsible for kicking it into high gear. Here is an article about the land slippage from LiveScience.com

Louisiana sinkhole slid sideways prior to collapse

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Can someone get into the whole part about this causing large amounts of methane being released into the atmosphere? This would be the most concerning thing, one would think. I know there is a thread somewhere that discusses this part of it. I also could swear I heard something about an insane amount of butane somewhere nearby that could pop off as a result of this thing..I hope I'm not getting this mixed up with something else..

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: suicideeddie
its best to post this in one of the original threads that was started a couple of years back like this one, www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why is that best? This is definitely worthy of a new thread, if it had not been posted I would have missed it.

snf op
edit on 1-7-2014 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

dutchsinse

We all know it's bad, but i would take anything this guy say with a ton of salt.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Copy of post from another post...Originally posted byG146541...

So break it down for me, bare bones how long have I got?
I'll be needing a few weeks more for my tomatoes.

So many apocalypses, so little time!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I've been following this particular tragedy for as long as it's been happening... It's horrible to think how many people have been displaced by this incident, whether it was initiated by fracking or not. Bayous don't often have "stable" land and salt domes are always rising through the more dense rock and sediment atop them, so who knows about what the actual cause was?

That said, I think the title is a bit misleading. "Active Volcanic + Geothermal" is quite unlikely. Even the OP's source says "likened to..."

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

This page may be helpful. It's Assumption Parish, Louisiana's page and FAQ area about this event, by the look of it. It has a great deal of info, but I do get a sense of it being dated and before things have gotten worse. I recalled there being threats beyond just Methane though, and that is what I went to hunt down when I came across it. As they describe it:

How far from the Texas Brine storage cavern is the underground butane storage cavern operated by Crosstex? How much butane is contained in the cavern?

Crosstex operates storage cavern that contains 940,000 barrels of butane, which is located 1,600 feet from the sinkhole.
Source

They say in another point that the move was planned to be to a location 1,000 feet further away. I don't recall or see where it says whether that happened or not at this point, but if it's still growing like doom's own little Ghia Pet, then a few hundred yards may not be quite far enough.

If that somehow vented or breached, I think we'd be lucky to see it simply vent without more happening.
edit on 7/1/2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: Minor edit for clarity

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Texas Brine says that they should have all the gases cleared out by the end of this year. Is that enough time? Who knows, but geologists also believe that the 26-acre sinkhole will grow to at least 50 acres, so is another 1,000 feet far enough? Doubtful.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: hydeman11
I've been following this particular tragedy for as long as it's been happening... It's horrible to think how many people have been displaced by this incident, whether it was initiated by fracking or not. Bayous don't often have "stable" land and salt domes are always rising through the more dense rock and sediment atop them, so who knows about what the actual cause was?

That said, I think the title is a bit misleading. "Active Volcanic + Geothermal" is quite unlikely. Even the OP's source says "likened to..."

Yes, that is misleading, but this sinkhole is a lake of methane gas, which is bubbling up from very deep. That's why the guy "likened it" to volcanic.

Initially, 350 residents were evacuated that lived within a mile. Over the course of the next year, the 1-acre sinkhole grew to 26-acres and 65 families remained displaced. 44 of those families were bought out by Texas Brine, and the rest continue to collect an $865 per week check from the company.

I recently wrote a book about methane and hydrogen sulfide gases which is in the publishing stages now and in it, I dedicate a full chapter to this disaster. Here is a bit from that chapter.

Geologists believe that the Bayou Corne sinkhole may still double in size to over 50 acres. Seismic activity and dangerous methane and hydrogen sulfide gases continue to bubble up and release from the swamp. The hole is over 1,000 feet in depth. There is literally tons of methane gas migrating through caverns throughout the area not to mention the hundreds of pipelines that crisscross carrying highly explosive chemicals. In January of 2014, loud booms were reported around the same time as seismic activity about 45 miles from the hole and about 140 miles from BP’s Macondo Prospect oil well in the Gulf of Mexico. These booms were most likely gas explosions as it escaped from fissures caused by minor earthquakes. With the dangerous mix of gases, pipelines, and seismic activity, this is a catastrophe lurking in the not-to-distant future.

The sinkhole is believed to be caused by a failed cavern wall in the western-edge caverns under the Napoleonville Salt Dome. The collapse triggered a chain-reaction of collapses, which continued to grow over the next year. Minor earthquakes that started on June 8, 2012, are the most likely culprit of the original collapse. After that first quake two months prior to the collapse, tremors continued to rattle the area. What caused the earthquakes? According to the lead Bayou Corne seismologist at the time of the collapse, Dr. Stephen Horton, the quakes were manmade, caused by the fossil fuel industry. It was reported that within the first few months of the collapse, there were thousands of quakes with differing intensities.

Horton said that the Department of Natural Resources didn’t want to believe that the sinkholes caused the bubbles and that the bubbles are what caused the sinkholes, rather than the quakes. He said that instead of calling the thousands of quakes that were occurring prior to the collapse what they were, quakes, they called them tremors.
Horton pointed out that on July 24, 2012, the number of quakes drastically increased to hundreds, sometimes thousands a day until August 2 when they stopped. The next day the sinkhole opened up.

<<   2 >>

join