It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7/01/2014 -- Bayou Corne sinkhole collapses into AQUIFER - "Active Volcanic + Geothermal"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Yes that is what I was looking for, thanks. So I don't have my stories crossed after all. Let's hope that as Rez said, they actually somehow manage to extract all that Butane within a year. Maybe it won't be too late, who knows but that sinkhole is a beast. I'm definitely going to be watching this again..
edit on 1-7-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954
Wow thats some scary footage. Those trees completely disappearing looks biblical!
Yee

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17
Yes it was the oil & gas companies mining too close to salt dome or something. It caused fracking. Rocks caved in.

Not a good situation.

ETA

The sinkhole is believed to have been caused by the salt dome cavern being mined too close to the outer face of the massive salt deposit, scientists said. In 2009, the cavern failed a pressure integrity test and mining operations ceased. The cavern was ordered to be abandoned by the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources and Texas Brine complied in June 2011. The sinkhole was discovered Aug. 3, 2012, and has grown to 29 acres. About 350 residents were forced to evacuate. Texas Brine officials originally didn't claim responsibility, but later did.

WWLTV
edit on 2-7-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 04:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper
What happens if there's a volcanic type explosion?

It looks as if Louisiana will be partially gone in the future. It's sinking.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: violet Hi violet, I live in Louisiana and I often wonder how far things will go and how bad things will get. This state has been ravaged from fracking and oil wells and logging. Another thing, we have so many gas pipelines running through the state. I know that waste water or other chemicals are often dumped in our water ways or in woods areas. Everything is such a mess. So many folks have had water wells contaminated.

This state is so low and so messed up, if a good sized earthquake ever occurred here, I'm not sure how well we'd all fare. I have nightmarish pictures in my minds eye of an awful lot of land sinking/disappearing. Explosions too because of all the pipelines...yikes!

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I think they should turn the sinkhole into a mountain and see what happens.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I thought that thing was filled with Butane or was another salt mine in the area?

If that thing ever went...yikes

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BABYBULL24

It's another cavern very close, which they are trying to move that gas out of there (but only an additional 1,000 feet away)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I went and read up on the sink hole,but can someone tell me what is the worst case scenario and why people should be worried?

I have been kind of following the story since it started,
but never really took a hard look at it until just now.

If they are talking the chance of a local explosion, then I don't know why everyone is so worried, it is not like it will swallow the entire state.
edit on 2-7-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
a reply to: Rezlooper
What happens if there's a volcanic type explosion?

It looks as if Louisiana will be partially gone in the future. It's sinking.

Not sure what or how bad it would really be. To add to what Shrevegal said, there are pipelines full of gas criss-crossing all over the place down there and there's also hundreds of salt domes that are used as storage facilities for gases, and this is not to mention the gigatons of natural methane and hydrogen sulfide gases that are bubbling up. The entire area was an ancient ocean, thus all the salt domes below the surface. In my opinion, it's a catastrophe waiting to happen should any of that gas erupt below, it may set off a chain reaction with all the other gases below (either stored, transferred by pipeline, or the natural sources.) Over the past couple of years there has been a lot of seismic activity there, land subsidence, land slippage, sonic booms and even hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg) smells and other gaseous smells that made numerous people sick (those ones of course were blamed on nearby companies who denied having anything to do with it). Also, there are many residents up to 45 miles away from the sinkhole who have reported bubbling areas in their yards...a school bus route was changed due to gases bubbling up in the roadway and Lake Pigneur also reported much more bubbling activity than they usually have. Activity continues increasing, and at this point...only time will tell! No one can know for sure if and when a catastrophic explosion will occur.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Exactly! It may or may not grow a little bigger but even if it does the end result will be the same. A large hole in the ground filled with water. There is no scenario where this is anything other than a local event which is pretty cool to look at and discuss.

I live about 2 hours west of where this is. Maybe I will drive over and take a look for myself.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: BugOut

Awesome! Get some pictures, and bring them back for us!

I will admit it is quite a sight to see with the trees going down and the way the water is sloshing around.
Now that I can understand.

That was actually a cool video at the beginning of the thread.

The whole time I was paying attention to the line going down, and not stopping. I used to get a chance to do some deep sea fishing once and a while and watching the reel of line go out/down really did make me realize just how deep that hole is.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Some major worries at first were concerns over what exactly is in those domes. It was widely reported that nuclear waste is in the mix. Think about it how long does it really take to move a million barrels of butane. Seems like something may be stoored somewhere that can not be moved.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
When did this become a hoax? Anyone?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chronogoblin

I'm guessing the 'active volcano' part. There is no doubt that the sinkhole itself is genuine.
media establishment of course is ignoring this.
edit on 3-7-2014 by works4dhs because: clarify

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Wondering the same thing myself. Does ATS usually give a reason in the thread? Title is misleading and that might be the reason.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

Yes, the title MIGHT be the reason, but I think when something gets HOAX slapped on it, we should all know why shouldn't we? I really hate it when ATS Mods/Owners do crap like this without explaining why.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I'm sure the owners hands would be tied in some form over the whole situation. The other thread that was linked on page one started out in the hoax bin. It is a very touchy subject it seems.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Probably when the mods found out that vid and link in the OP led to dutchsinse, a known hoaxer.

Edit to add: Here's the original thread with facts: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 3-7-2014 by Ivar_Karlsen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ivar_Karlsen

Probably when the mods found out that vid and link in the OP led to dutchsinse, a known hoaxer.

Edit to add: Here's the original thread with facts: www.abovetopsecret.com...

OOPS MY BAD!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join