It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five of the Most Dangerous Taliban Commanders in U.S. Custody Exchanged for American Captive

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Does this mean that at some near future moment US Drones will be slamming into a Hideout delivering salutations?

I am assuming the Americans tagged these fellows with neuro-transmitters and they will be linking them to the fire-control guidance systems of some nasty drones ASAP.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
This should never have been done.

Obama seems to be on the side of al-Qaeda since he has been in office... this is just further proof of that.

are you serious?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I gotta disagree with ya on this one....

Saying the release of these 5 guys is comparable to the cold war exchanges of professional intelligence officers doesn't really work for me.

The short bios on who we just let go makes my blood run cold for knowing people still in Afghanistan at the moment. No family, but still people I consider friends. God help them all if these guys get up to speed and combat ready to return their years of very deep burning hatred. They never should have been let go. Damn sure not while we still have men in the field, in the nation these guys are commanders from and in.

These guys are fire into a refinery.

It's like saying releasing prolific serial killers on ankle bracelets is okay because it's worked fine for non-violent felonies before and people are people.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

I agree. This soldier must be "someone" or know "something."

This deserter more than likely knows nothing. If you have read up on this guy he walked off his post to look for the Taliban because he wanted to "walk the world". We lost several like six men while looking for this guy. They even gave this guy a parting gift for goodness sake how many other prisoners have they done this for? He won't be prosecuted like he should be he will be paraded around as another "hero" for the war on terror when he should be thrown into a military prison and the key thrown away.

Dammit, Buster!

Stop that!

You KNOW how I hate having to star or agree with you on pretty much anything, and here I've got to.

Bergdahl was a PFC in an infantry outfit when he was captured. Nothing special about it that I can find. He wasn't a Trail Watcher or any sort of intel asset that I can find when captured. Just a low level grunt that got pissed off at the Army and wandered off base hunting for butterflies or some such crap.

We used to call that "desertion". It was not grounds for promotion in absentia.

Understand the gravity of what I'm about to say by realizing that I come from the "no man left behind" mindset. We would throw money, resources, and lives at the recovery of a comrade who got himself into a jam, and we'd bring him home, dead or alive. No man left behind.

Not for deserters, however. They made their choice and made their bed when they turned their backs on US and walked into the arms of the enemy. As far as we were concerned, they no longer merited the "man" in "no man left behind".

Bergdahl, however, get PROMOTED from E-3 to E-5, skipping E-4 altogether, while he was in captivity after deserting.

Not cool. Now, after recovery, he gets promoted to E-6 just for getting picked up by his betters?

I'd have let the Taliban eat him before going to just pick him up by the roadside, much less negotiating for a swap, giving up 5 high value prisoners for this one body.

Even his own father realizes that his son isn't there right now. The man learned Pashto just so he could talk with a boy who has all but forgotten his native language after 5 years of Taliban hospitality. He actually stated “I look forward to continuing the recovery of our son which will be a considerable task for our family.” Source

He realizes that he has to "recover" his son, because his son isn't there right now. That's pretty damned heartbreaking, but I'm a pretty damned heartless kinda guy when it comes to turning your back on your own and walking into the arms of the enemy, as Bergdahl did. I feel for his father, but not for Bowe Bergdahl himself.

Here's what he had to say in an e-mail to his folks just before going over the hill:

Last email to parents

On June 27, 2009, according to Rolling Stone,[19] Bowe sent a final e-mai­l to his parents: "The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american. The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting."

His email went on to describe his disillusionment in the army: "In the US army you are cut down for being honest... but if you are a conceited brown nosing # bag you will be allowed to do what ever you want, and you will be handed your higher rank... The system is wrong. I am ashamed to be an american. And the title of US soldier is just the lie of fools...I am sorry for everything here. These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid, that they have no idea how to live. We don't even care when we hear each other talk about running their children down in the dirt streets with our armored trucks... We make fun of them in front of their faces, and laugh at them for not understanding we are insulting them...I am sorry for everything. The horror that is america is disgusting...There are a few more boxes coming to you guys. Feel free to open them, and use them."

Source

That says it all to me. Turned his back on his own and went off butterfly hunting. He was already "Stockholmed" before he ever got into the Taliban's lovin' arms. How much more so NOW, after 5 years?

The "gift" you mention means nothing really, however. it's just a part of the pashtunwali. He was their "guest", and eventually a "friend", and the parting gift means nothing in that context. Look up "pashtunwali". They were honor bound to protect him as "one of their own", which he evidently eventually became.

His "own" got switched up in his own mind, and in reality.

I'd have left him for the crows.

But I'm an asshole like that.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DustbowlDebutante

If this is the first time we have done this ( sacrificed six other soldiers' lives, let five big-name terrorists free, negotiated with terrorists, not charging him with desertion, etc...) either I have to think that this guy is someone "special" or the US Gov thinks he has valuable info on the terrorists due to his time spent with them.

I can't understand why this one guy, whose kidnapping details are somewhat self-incriminatory, would be so special as to warrant all of these exceptional actions by the government. High strangeness for sure.

He's no one "special", nor does he have any "special knowledge", even after 5 years of "captivity".

He was a PFC when he was captured, just another grunt, but one who happened to turn his back on his own and walk off.

In "captivity", he was probably under the Pashtunwali, specifically the "nanawatai" provision thereof. "Nanawatai" means "hospitality". They were honor bound to treat him as a guest, and defend him from his enemies... but that only goes as far as the village he was being held in. Just outside the boundary, he was fair game to any roaming Taliban. Therefore, I can't imagine that he gained any valuable intel from his stay there that we wouldn't already have gotten over that 5 year span.

The only way he would have roamed freely enough to gain any valuable intelligence would be if he actually joined the Taliban, actively, and traveled with them... which would open a whole new can of worms, wouldn't it?

But not unheard of.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

I'm not saying that it was a good trade, but *sigh* things like this have happened for a long time. And as idiotic as Obama is, this can't be thrown at his feet.

Bad trades have happened under every administration.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eryiedes
Morning,

So, can we arrest Obama yet?
He has now set a dangerous precident that will open the door to American soldiers being captured for ransom.
Who the he77 was this sergeant anyways that the nation's policy to terrorism hadda be rewritten for this one guy?
(My money says this army dude is CIA)
This whole thing stinks.

www.weeklystandard.com...

Guess what?
Obama hadda bypass Congress to do this deal.
Oh?
What was that?
Completely Illegal you say?
Congress & lawmakers must be notified of the swap before it can get the green light...and Obombya didn't do that?
Ya don't say...

www.washingtonpost.com... e3-afc6-a1dd9407abcf_print.html

So, can we arrest Obama yet?

-Peace-

edit on 6/1/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: Correct presidents name. End of Political Baiting

Well the president can pardon anyone, so...

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
After some creative thought,one wonders if there is a time-controlled viral Trojan Horse which will be released in about 2-3 years from these 5,you know culture themselves for a few years naturally and then spread themselves about.

I just dont see America taking one for the Team,they lead the team and they dont take em they give em.

How about this, they have been feeding them food that contains a specific mineral compound which will not kill them but that will light them up like a roman candle whenever satellites or Drones pass them.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is from a yahoo post. May shed some light. Trying to find the full version

Thomas Owens Forwarded from Jeff Howard. "We were at OP Mest, Paktika Province, Afghanistan. It was a small outpost where B Co 1-501st INF (Airbone) ran operations out of, just an Infantry platoon and ANA counterparts there. The place was an Afghan graveyard. Bergdahl had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things. No one thought anything about it. He was a little “out there”. Next morning he's gone. We search everywhere, and can't find him. He left his weapon, his kit, and other sensitive items. He only took some water, a compass and a knife. We find some afghan kids shortly after who saw an american walking north asking about where the taliban are. We get hits on our voice intercepter that Taliban has him, and we were close. We come to realize that the kid deserted his post, snuck out of camp and sought out Taliban… to join them. We were in a defensive position at OP Mest, where your focus is to keep people out. He knew where the blind spots were to slip out and that's what he did. It was supposed to be a 4-day mission but turned into several months of active searching. Everyone was spun up to find this guy. News outlets all over the country were putting out false information. It was hard to see, especially when we knew the truth about what happened and we lost good men trying to find him. PFC Matthew Michael Martinek, Staff Sgt. Kurt Robert Curtiss, SSG Clayton Bowen, PFC Morris Walker, SSG Michael Murphrey, 2LT Darryn Andrews, were all KIA

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfens
a reply to: Eryiedes
He was probably eminent commander and leader of poppy field production. Bush would've done the same. Big Pharm might have a bigger hand than they are given credit for.

Where is the "eye rolling" smiley when I really need it?

Do you bother to read or research anything before shooting off at the lip?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Still reading the thread, but if this hasn't been mentioned, I feel it should be:

Now would be the time to start contacting & pressuring your senator to impeach. No, not a damned petition, cram their inboxes, voicemails, mailboxes full of demands to do it. Be relentless. If the senate wants to keep their jobs, they'll listen. If they don't listen, you know who to vote out.

Now, back to reading this thread.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Beez.. This was a very very serious blunder (Or not, as the worst case scenario).... I've not been out into the media much to see what the talking goofballs in the 3 letter agencies of disinformation (CNN..ABC..NBC..FOX..) are saying.

I just checked around the net...as all I can really say here this way....to find where files on these guys (full..100% complete military custody files) had been put into the public domain before. (cue Xfiles music) The truth is out there! (innocent smile)

These weren't just commanders.. This was Grand Pu-bah class. The big Kahunas. This is real bad for the guys still in an active combat zone.

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

This deserter more than likely knows nothing. If you have read up on this guy he walked off his post to look for the Taliban because he wanted to "walk the world". We lost several like six men while looking for this guy. They even gave this guy a parting gift for goodness sake how many other prisoners have they done this for? He won't be prosecuted like he should be he will be paraded around as another "hero" for the war on terror when he should be thrown into a military prison and the key thrown away.

Holy crap Buster2010 I agree with you....

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Double post...damn Afghan internet sucks
edit on 1-6-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

I'm not saying that it was a good trade, but *sigh* things like this have happened for a long time. And as idiotic as Obama is, this can't be thrown at his feet.

Bad trades have happened under every administration.

I don't know if it was a bad trade... You can't hit them with a hellfire while they are at Gitmo... Duh

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
We do not negotiate with terrorists...

...very well.

A king, queen, two bishops and a knight for one pawn? Seriously?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

If he walked off from his post, isn't that some sort of military crime? quote]

Yes it is very much a crime. Here are the punishments for desertion I say he deserted instead of AWOL because he was in a war zone and by his actions and what he was saying he had no intention of returning.

AWOL and Desertion Maximum Possible Punishments

Article 85 - Desertion. This is the most serious of the absentee offenses. Remember the primary difference between AWOL and desertion is intent to remain away from the military permanently.
(1) If a member deserted, but voluntarily returned to military control: Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, reduction to the lowest enlisted grade, and confinement for 2 years.
(2) If the member deserted and the desertion was terminated by apprehension: Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, reduction to the lowest enlisted grade, and confinement for 3 years.
(3) If the member deserted with the intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service (and example of this would be a member ordered to deploy to Iraq and then deserts to avoid the deployment): Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, reduction to the lowest enlisted grade, and confinement for 5 years.
(4) If the member deserts during time of war: Death or such other punishment (such as life in prison) as a court-martial may direct.

edit on 1-6-2014 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: VirusGuard
a reply to: Eryiedes

Five of the Most Dangerous Taliban Commanders

But how do we know that without a link or should we just take your word for it ?

The link has already been posted in the thread. If you've read the posts and followed the links, you've already seen it, so I can't be assed to hunt it back down at the moment.

if indeed this is true then how come they have not been chaged with any crimes or don't we need that anymore

"Anymore"? They're POW's. Their "crime" was fighting against their captors. that's how one becomes a POW, being captured while doing so. So no, we don't need criminal charges "anymore" - we never did. We aren't cops or judges - it's a war, not a court room.

Now, with that being said, two of them HAVE been charged with war crimes and violation of the Geneva Conventions by the UN.

And we're just letting them skate free to do it all over again.

Do you think that between them they killed more people than killed during the false flag on 9/11 or do you think that the USA traded them because none of them have blood on their hands and they are a danger to no one.

Yes, I think precisely that (other than the "false flag 9/11" claptrap - it really happened, whether you want to believe it or not is immaterial. People died.) I think they were involved in the deaths of literally thousands of Shi'ites in a purge. They are as big a danger to Muslims as they are to the US.

if these gitmo inmates are so bad then how come its costing US tax payers $1m a year each to keep them in jail in a foriegn land and are you happy to be paid your share of the bill or did no one ask you

Yes, I'm happy to pay my share of the bill. Beats the hell out of all the useless spending going on in DC that wastes my money. Again, they're not in "jail". You seem to have a civilian mindset with no concept of how a war is conducted. This ain't civil matter. It's not for courts to decide, it's a war. Try and wrap your head around that.

getting stuffed is one thing but liking it is another so welcome the hero back, he is a hero because he just saved you all $5m p.a that can be used to create jobs in the USA or to put roofs over peoples heads.

"Hero" my ass. All the "heroes" I've ever known are now dead. They didn't desert, nor did they whine about how much they hated their comrades before they deserted. I'm sure that the Taliban sees him as a "hero", however. It that you Umar?

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

But wait...

originally posted by: beezzer

Now look at what you fine people have made me do!

*gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

Now I'm defending Obama!

*face-palm*

We've been doing prisoner exchanges forever! Anyone remember the Cold War?

Hello!

North Korea?

Hello!

Jesus Christ!

I've stepped into the Twilight Zone!

The entire world is suddenly upside down!

I remember the Cold War, very well. I DON'T remember any "prisoner exchanges" quite like this where the returnee wasn't, umm, "sanctioned".

posted on Jun, 1 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Well after the Syrian fiasco I'm not surprised Obama would do such a thing.

DING DING DING!

We have a winner!

Now, couple this with the "outing" of the CIA Station Chief in Kabul, and think of the applications to the Obama support of the Syrian version of AQ, and think deeply upon that, and those actions, and the connections involved.

It won't leave you feeling even as warm and fuzzy about it as you do at the moment, which I take it ain't much.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join