It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will racism die?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
So how many more years will go by before were too mixed up to chose sides along racial lines?

I'm in The US so well take it from an American POV.

As humans, it's just in our nature to take sides. We used to consider Irish less the English and Jews less then both. It's my opinion that the reason we stopped doing that is because we mixed up too much for anyone to really claim they were 100% Irish or whatever other "race" you wanna use.

IMHO as the mixed race population rises sooner or later well get to the point where the amount of people who can claim they are any of the presently recognized races are no longer in the majority. I bet by census data the population of mixed race people has skyrocketed.

My guess is in our grand children's time we will have picked something else to choose sides over.. Prob progressive vs. conservative.

Thoughts?

Will it take 50 years? 100?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

As soon as people stop bringing it up and perpetuating it. So long as it remains something for people on either side of the equation to think they can gain an advantage from in any way ... then it won't die.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

People can't even define precisely what the word "race" means but that's not going to stop people left to their own devices. Tribalism is wired deep.

When extraterrestrials attack Earth, we'll see if anyone gives a hoot about "race". LOL

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Well, for one thing when folks stop politicizing race for personal, or group gain the divisive speech being omitted from our daily information intake will certainly help.

I have never seen a president be so divisive as to make comments on television assuming some white folk dont like his policies because he's black, in order to aggrandize an unpopular platform. Its very sad, especially when the media joins in and hypes it up even further.

The poorest group of leaders I have ever seen, or imagined.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
When race pimps stop race pimping!!!

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

When will racism die?

When we stop categorizing by race. When we stop using race.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Ideally I would like to think that we had got over racism and everyone regarded themselves as citizens of the country they live in. There appears to be more of an effort politically, not to encourage this view but to emphasize people's differences and pay incredible PC attention to altering the way this country is managed to incorporate just about any whim or demand minority groups demand. A public swoimming pool had to have its windows darkened completely to compromise modesty demands. As we don't get much sunshine here normally this, although done, went down like a lead balloon.

In the UK many English feel they are becoming almost a minority in their own country. It can only get worse as services and shortages bite further.

Although I loathe racism itself I have had quite enough of feeling like I am living in an ever increasing rat run, designed to profit the rich to force wages lower on the middle classes.

Its a shame because had immigration here been introduced slower allowing people to integrate, racism would not be an issue, but I do wonder if it isn't on the increase.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
IMO, when the majority of the Baby-Boomer generation passes away, so will most of the social conditioned racism that is prevalent in America today. Of course, not all racism will end, but the conditioned fears will begin to subside substantially. Bad habits die hard, but eventually future generations will see humans and not races. Again, not all racism today is due to Baby-Boomers, but many still carry the albatross of childhood and adolescent societal misguidance in regards to race acceptance. Some have transcended the lies, but most still fear like children.
edit on 23-4-2014 by Boscov because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
What ketsuko said. When people stop calling others "racist" for having a point of view different than their own. When people stop calling others "racist" as a knee-jerk reaction when they don't have any other arguments to present. Today people call others "racist" to gain some sort of advantage, even if it's just to feel all cozy inside themselves because, after all, if you call someone else "racist," you can't possibly be racist yourself. That way you can pretend to have transcended "race" when in actuality, you have done the exact opposite and perpetuated it when it was unnecessary.

What people need to do is call BS on being called racist on the first place. It really is an offensive move (in both senses of the term) designed to put you ill at ease and into a position of defending yourself as "non-racist." You don't need to defend yourself. You need to call it for what it is, a BS argument that deflects the facts and is disingenuous. It's the person calling "racism" as an excuse for everything who is perpetuating it. They're not going to stop as long as they perceive it is in their advantage to do so. The proper course of action is to take that advantage away from them.
edit on 4/23/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
As soon as you people acknowledge my race as the best.

Edit - I mean never.

edit on 23-4-2014 by minusinfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ignoring something doesn't always make it go away. Ignoring the fact women arnt allowed to read doesn't teach woman to read....

I agree that as long as it's benifical to play the race card people will. Both political sides use it as a get outta jail free card. If you watch it with out taking sides it's humorous. They both literally play the race card while whole saying the other side is.

I honestly can't think of one example of a societal issue that has gone away by ignoring it. Sounds like ostritch syndrome

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

No offence homie. But that's a talking point not reality... Obamas not at all the most divisive. Nor the most racial. Lincons divisiveness lead to the civil war. Nixon coined the term welfare queen. Obamas not at all the best either of course. Don't fall for the extremism on either side. Obamas a middle of the road scared to make any waves bought and sold politician. Every president is the worst one ever to the opposing side.. Remember bush?

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
It will stop when people will realise that as humans, we have much more in common than differences, and that among those differences, there are much more differences that are invisible to the eye than visible to the eye. I think racism is the result of evolution and a device of the survival instinct.
Here is what I think about races www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Racism will die out when we stop making value judgements of every other human being and see that underneath the skin/emotional defenses/public persona is just another person, like me, like you.

I am not holding my breath

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Oh indeed I do, and you make some salient points, but I have to say I have never seen the level of race baiting that I am seeing now in my particular 47 years on the marble. Agreed I didn't much like the last guy either, but I didnt see him as racially divisive, a doofus yes...racially divisive ...no

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Racism will stop when the double standards/hypocrisy (sp?) stops. Which is never, unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Thousands of years from now when we all look like gray aliens.

Well, you asked.

Seriously, it will take generations and lots of racial mixing. Sadly....

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Answer to that question is quite simple.

Stop giving meaning to them.

Let me put it this way, have you told someone not to say something because it's bad? What was the result?.

Just stop giving it thought and it goes away, give no meaning.

*makes clear*
edit on 23-4-2014 by QuantumDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

1000's of years from now, when people are all the same shade...LOL

posted on Apr, 23 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It will only die when human behings accept that where all equal and we should all share in the same basic human rights.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join