It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Grading for Equity" - Portland Schools Mull Banning Zeroes for Cheating and Not Doing Work

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: quintessentone

a reply to: FlyersFan

THe world will always need ditch diggers.

Actually when I took a horticultural design course the instructor/contractor said that serious money can be made in this field by installing sprinkler systems and fish ponds...a sort of ditch digging.

Pedantic reply.

STEM jobs, careers won’t happen to folks who can’t read or do maths.

Well in my experience if someone can't do math they can read/literature so the rarity would be people who can't do any of those mental activities.

Entrepreneurship seems to be the future for the upcoming generations and being an online influencer does not require any of those classroom activities.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Actually when I took a horticultural design course the instructor/contractor said that serious money can be made in this field by installing sprinkler systems and fish ponds...a sort of ditch digging.

Pedantic reply.

Well in my experience if someone can't do math they can read/literature so the rarity would be people who can't do any of those mental activities.

Entrepreneurship seems to be the future for the upcoming generations and being an online influencer does not require any of those classroom activities.

Oh please yes, promote the career field of online influencer.

Lol

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

If someone can't do math, or isn't good at it, the odds of them making money on their own is slim to none.

If you are to go into your own business, the necessity to know basic math, reading, and writing is there.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

If someone can't do math, or isn't good at it, the odds of them making money on their own is slim to none.

If you are to go into your own business, the necessity to know basic math, reading, and writing is there.

The children won't be held accountable. They won't learn responsibility. They won't learn consequences of their actions. What they WILL learn is that they can get a free ride and not have to pull their own weight in life. They'll learn that they can do nothing and get the same outcome as those who actually do the work. This 'woke' ideology is both absurd and destructive.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Pedantic reply.

Lol

Why not when some have made serious money at it?

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I think that someone who goes into their own business is learning what they need to learn along the way, or on an as needed basis. With success comes the monetary ability to hire others to do that type of work.

link   

Pedantic reply.

Lol

Go for it!

Lol

link   

Accountability is absent in all walks of life, not just school.

But yes, I do agree

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

The children won't be held accountable. They won't learn responsibility. They won't learn consequences of their actions. What they WILL learn is that they can get a free ride and not have to pull their own weight in life. They'll learn that they can do nothing and get the same outcome as those who actually do the work. This 'woke' ideology is both absurd and destructive.

Nobody knows the outcome of this plan until it is implemented and looked at from all angles.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Pedantic reply.

Lol

Go for it!

Lol

Exactly, go for it!
edit on q00000013831America/Chicago2222America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Again, the odds are not in their favor.

If they aren't willing to put in the effort to learn how to do basic things in their lives, they sure as hell aren't going to put in the effort required to make money at being an influencer.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Yes, there will be the odd man out that can go from nothing to something. But that is the outlier in this situation.

20% of all small businesses fail in the first 12 months, and rises to 30%+ after 18 months.

Not saying some people can't do it, but most won't. Just the facts

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Again, the odds are not in their favor.

If they aren't willing to put in the effort to learn how to do basic things in their lives, they sure as hell aren't going to put in the effort required to make money at being an influencer.

I don't think it's only one reason that you think it is, that being not willing to put in the effort. Children and their families may have many temporary issues happening and it's not the child's fault. I think school boards should try different plans to see what works today because today is different from yesterday, with remote learning, pandemics and who knows what else is down the road. Children are all different and learn differently and at different paces, so we should at least give these new plans a try before shooting them down because what they are doing now is not working for "all" the children.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Yes, there will be the odd man out that can go from nothing to something. But that is the outlier in this situation.

20% of all small businesses fail in the first 12 months, and rises to 30%+ after 18 months.

Not saying some people can't do it, but most won't. Just the facts

And I've listened to entrepreneurs that have failed like five or more times but kept on going until they hit the right thing and made it. Effort and hard work and not giving up can lead to reward.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Another point I'd like to make, certain learning disabilities must be diagnosed and I'd like to see school systems design curriculum or streaming geared to helping children with these types of learning disabilities into studies which will enable them to be successful in targeted professions out in the working or entrepreneurial world.

What is the difference between dyslexia and dyscalculia?

Dyslexia and dyscalculia are both learning disorders, but they have key differences. In the most general terms, these two break down as follows:

Dyscalculia: This learning disorder affects a person’s ability to do math.

Dyslexia: This learning disorder affects a person’s ability to read.
While they’re different, the two conditions fall under the same diagnosis, “Specific learning disorder,” in the American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5). It’s also possible for people to have both dyscalculia and dyslexia.

my.clevelandclinic.org...#:~:text=What%20is%20dyscalculia%3F,of%20people%20without%20this%20disorder.

Dysgraphia
Dysgraphia: “difficulty with writing”

“Dys” means “difficulty with” and “graphia” means “writing”, thus “difficulty with writing”.

The term dysgraphia refers to more than simply having poor handwriting. This term refers to those who struggle with the motor skills necessary to write thoughts on paper, spelling, and the thinking skills needed for vocabulary retrieval, clarity of thought, grammar, and memory.

nildcanada.org...#:~:text=Although%20learning%20disabilities%20are%20as,dyslexia%2C%20dysgraphia%2C%20and%20dysca lculia.

There is so much more school boards can do to help children succeed.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:45 AM
link   
So, if I'm understanding correctly, schools don't need to teach or regulate anything. Students don't need to learn to pass. Employers are forced to employ them. How could this possibly go wrong in the future when this generation needs to run the businesses?

Maybe it's better to cancel school, learn from the working class parents and build a skill set. I mean, if they don't need to learn they've practically graduated. So get a job and contribute now. That'll learn em better than schools at this point. Schools will be only for the motivated and wanting to learn folks, and they'll be graded accordingly, like it should be.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: nickyw

Well considering even in China they still have a regular grading system, creating serfs doesn't require dumbing down your population.

I doubt the people who want to get rid of zero grade are smart enough to create and push through an elaborate scheme to create zombie workers for wealthy elites.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

I've actually had young people interview and demanded to know my salary and asked it to match, with no experience or skill sets.

The sense of entitlement is ruining young people.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Nobody knows the outcome of this plan until it is implemented and looked at from all angles.

I already posted the outcome. It's basic psychology and common sense. The children won't be held accountable. They won't learn responsibility. They won't learn consequences of their actions. What they WILL learn is that they can get a free ride and not have to pull their own weight in life. They'll learn that they can do nothing and get the same outcome as those who actually do the work.
edit on 8/29/2023 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 08:56 AM
link   

and if the person trying to start the small business failed in school because they refused to do the work, they have an even higher chance of failure later on. They will not have learned anything in school except to be lazy and get a free ride doing nothing.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join