It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very strange-what's going on with twitter??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: SwissMarked
a reply to: AlienBorg

It hasn’t changed… got a new account in the middle of May and paid for the blue check mark… less than two weeks in they banned me for not adhering to their “community standards” but wouldn’t site what it was I’d done… screw’em…

I don't have an account on twitter but until yesterday I was able to view the twitter accounts that I wanted to view. No it had changed. You need to login to view the content created by the people you follow.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Don't panic people, it's twitter.

No one has lost a life, keep your bonnets on.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Don't panic people, it's twitter.

No one has lost a life, keep your bonnets on.

There's no panic.
In Elon we trust!

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I don't think anyone is panicking.

The aspect I see--

Some of those on twitter had large audiences, probably many of which were not account holders with twitter. This move by twitter has shrunk their audiences, and I doubt the lockout will make many people get twitter accounts. They'll just lose interest in the medium.

So will that create a pushback by the content providers ? No idea, but the disappearance of these feeds for those who don't have accounts just narrows (again) the number of feeds 'out there'.

ETA. One of the feeds I occasionally read also has the same information on t-gram. So that is where I now go to see that person's views.

Cheers
edit on 1-7-2023 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 07:24 AM
link   
And it seems to be down this morning with "unable to retrieve tweets" messages, some people unable to access the app or site.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 09:42 AM
link   

It's just a "temporary emergency measure."

That's what Twitter owner Elon Musk said on Friday after the platform's users noticed that tweets and profiles were inaccessible via web browsers on both desktop and mobile devices unless they were logged in to an account. The change basically blocked all Twitter content from unregistered visitors and was not well-received by even its registered users.

Whether the decision to force visitors to login to a Twitter account is actually temporary remains to be seen. Neither Musk or Miqdad shared any timeline for once again enabling Twitter access for visitors without the login requirement.

Mashable

Cheers
edit on 1-7-2023 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Anyone knows what is going on?

Dr Evil blocking Plebs who don't want to give him their information , let the twits twitter.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
And it seems to be down this morning with "unable to retrieve tweets" messages, some people unable to access the app or site.

DownDetector and other similar sites or apps can provide uesful information when something goes down.

For example this is me looking up Twitter today.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is just breaking.

Twitter has applied temporary daily reading limits to address "extreme levels" of data scraping and system manipulation, Elon Musk has said.

In a tweet, Musk said verified accounts have been temporarily limited to reading 6,000 posts a day.

Unverified accounts and new unverified accounts have been limited to reading 600 posts a day and 300 posts per day respectively.

Some users reported seeing a message stating "rate limit exceeded" on Saturday - and the phrase RIP Twitter began trending on the social media site.
news.sky.com...

I guess that explains the changes.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I can testify to that. Was permabanned for saying, a couple of years ago before it was cool, if blackface is offensive, why aren't drag queens. Gone!

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Jesus Chrikey, being allowed to read upto 6000 tweets sounds like a punishment worse than death, who in their right mind would want to read that much inane babble, perhaps this restriction could be seen as a service to humanity, i take it prior to that you could read unlimited tweets

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels

I can testify to that. Was permabanned for saying, a couple of years ago before it was cool, if blackface is offensive, why aren't drag queens. Gone!

And rightfully so! We live in an insane society and at that time twitter was under the control of the woke brigade.

Even now Elon doesn't have absolute control. Only a few weeks ago they tried to censor accounts and a well-known movie for which twitter made an agreement to screen.

For all we know could this be another woke plot?

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=27055332]gortex[/

'temporary' daily reading limits.
Can't just ;look, you have to join.
uh-huh

Hello? A tech oligarch is killing a world-wide free-speech platform.
Which is exactly why he paid for it and doesn't really mind the losses.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBoomersRBusted

Hello? A tech oligarch is killing a world-wide free-speech platform.

Although it wasn't a free-speech platform before Musk bought it so nothing has changed.

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Just something to consider. His bill to pay Google to use some of their cloud servers was due yesterday. This whole claim he's making does not make sense. He's throttling how many people see advertisers as well. I mean it's possible he's not paying Google, just because he doesn't want to. It's possible one of the 3 remaining employees screwed something up somewhere and he's scambling to make up a reason the site is a mess. A bonus with this excuse is when it is fixed in a few days, he can claim "I listened to you and now Twitter is back to the way it was". Some developers are stating that you don't prevent scraping by cutting off your own app's access to its own database.

Who knows really though.
edit on 1-7-2023 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 04:15 PM
link   
its Elon Musk... he did it so ppl would sign up to watch tucker carlson!

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: combatmaster

If it's to see how many people have signed up then isn't going very well...

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienBorg

originally posted by: combatmaster

If it's to see how many people have signed up then isn't going very well...

He did it to stop people from training models on Twitter data then he found out that you can't arbitrarily rate limit your API calls if you dont your frontend. I guess he's surrounded by yes men or worse everyone qualified to point out (what would have been obvious for even a jr dev) the inevitable issue is gone.

posted on Jul, 2 2023 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Its not really that strange, ive found many fb pages that require login these days to see whats on them supposedly for public businesses. Ive lost no sleep over it i don't bother anymore. There's only one reason why ive got a twitter account if that stops eventually i'll delete my account again. Had a fb account years ago closed it down family and friends moaned i told them to send emails some did some didn't life went on.

posted on Jul, 2 2023 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Gosh i'll be limited to spending 5 hours daily reading about what people had for breakfast. What a travesty. Can we all go back to Myspace things were simple then.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join