It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lard is why our people are sick

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Did you know 1 tablespoon of Lard has 1000IU of vitamin D?

coastpacking.com...#:~:text=Turns%20out%20that%20lard%20is%20surprisingly%20nutrient -rich.%20Packed,contains%209%20IU%2C%20and%20olive%20oil%20contains%20none.

And lots of vitamin B.

When we traded it out for veg oil we screwed up.

A buddy of mine has a cookbook, locally published by a Black man named Rufus. If you can find it, link it.

The reason I bring it up, is this guy was a chef on pullman cars in the heyday of rail travel, and when I leafed through the cookbook every recipe had some lard in it.

That stood out to me.

Want to bake a cake? Sugar and LARD. And some flour of course but LARD was way up in there like High fructose corn syrup is today.

LOL

We are sick because we don't use lard anymore.

On the other paw....

I have some reluctance to eat pork products. Pigs are smart like dogs.

I don't like killing one for food.

But today I'm going to buy a big can of lard anyway for preps to go with my beans and rice.

The people who quit the Tv game show "alone"

Don't eat enough fat.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Former Slave Rufus Estes Helped Teach America How To Cook

laist.com...

Rufus Estes; Good things to eat^^^^

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:47 PM
link   
After seeing pigs , cows and chickens jammed together in slaughter houses I’m not a big fan of meat anymore. Seeing some of those animals covered in $hit , diseases and abused it real turns my stomach. I have no problem eating deer or fresh chicken or beef from a farm but stuff in the store is no bueno. My grandparents cooked everything with lard. It’s definitely not used like it used to be.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Luvapottamus

Vegetable oil is derived from GMO Soybeans, extremely bad for human consumption, might as well use motor oil.

Use Olive oil whenever possible, and use real butter.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I agree that animal fat, especially wild hogs have a lot of good healthy fat and also Omega-3 fat acide, as I read lately.

But coming from a hunters family (hunt to eat) there is one thing that stood out to me:

I don't like killing one for food.

Then you should not eat that meat, or any meat at all. No offense intended. In my opinion, everyone eating meat after a certain age, should at one point have raised, killed, slaughtered and ate from that meat.

Just once, the whole process. If everyone had to do that, I don't think there would be a lot less meat eaters, but more sensible meat eaters. "I don't eat this, it's too fatty, flexy or whatever" would be a sentence unheard.

Because it's easy to take a frozen burger meat patty and throw it on the BBQ.

It's not so easy raising and animal, then killing it the fastest way, break it open (it's a bloody mess), cut out the internals, skin, part the animal.

And from that hunters tradition we know to thank the forest for what it gave us, right after the animal gave it's life so we can live.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I had some gastrointestinal issues after defeating Delta. I got over the lung issues with home brew zstack.

zstack.vladimirzelenkomd.com...

Quercetin, zinc, viramin C vitamin D....Bought them seperately,

What eventually fixed me up with the gut issues was Sprouts(Grocery chain) bratwursts. They make them in the store butcher shop.

LOL

It's pork plus pork fat....like my german ancestors ate every day.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I agree. I don't want to be a hypocrite about it.

My grandfather on my dad's side was a dairy farmer. His family provided dairy products for towns around Kiamichi County in Oklahoma, but they also had a peach orchard, grew peanuts, and were diversified.

They were able to just load up anything ans everything they had on a train, and a mercantile in Idabel sold it and they had a profit sharing deal.

watermelons go well under peach trees...

They raised some hogs too.

Once a year they'd slaughter a few. Neighbors would come around with one of theirs.

It was a community effort.

They'd kill a few hogs, bleed them, butcher them, and everybody participated, the sausages were made the same day, lard was rendered the same day, cracklins etc.

Then the meat got salted or smoked. Or both.

This was before refrigeration.

I don't like eating other animals, but plants and fungi have spirits too.

So it's a conundrum.

I can't do full needs photosynthesis.(I do photosynthesize some of my own nutrients)

But spiritualy I agree; if you eat meat you should ideally kill it yourself.

If you tend food animals they should have a great life then one really bad day.

I fish, I've done that,.

It's not the same as raising a pig then eating it.

But I'm off the farm.

I was raised off the farm as a city slicker.

LOL

i agree with you though. Modern life is a lot of conundrums.

For example: If we don't eat cows would there be any cows?

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: 38181

All the hummus in supermarkets is made with GMO soybean oil.

EEK!

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:31 PM
link   
From a small farm too, nothing huge, few cows and pigs, chickens. We had slaughter fests like you described too. The boys would sweep the blood down the drain with brooms and such things, we girls helped cutting vegetables and potato, helped cooking for the slaughter plate dinner.

One time we had an ox to slaughter. It was perfectly normal and almost like a small biology lessan that the ox's eyes would get handed around to us kids. Or that we blow up a pigs lung to understand what happens inside us too. As in, inflating, not blowing it to shreds. It wasn't a funny situation one could feel the sternness about life. But it wasn't traumatic as some would claim.

I too believe that plants are more than just fibers. However if we start to question that -besides we're carnivores and need the diet of meat- plant's or fungi should not be eaten either... Our existence becomes kind of pointless since we would by natures law not be allowed to eat, therefor die.

For example: If we don't eat cows would there be any cows?

Maybe in regions where they are still roaming freely but certainly not the locked up, caged and stacked ones.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Can you find lard anymore? We used to use crisco when I was a kid... I think that started out as a lard but I think they even adapted that now to make it more "healthy"..
Thing is... we seem to have been healthier back then than we are now so I don't think their advice worked too well or the problem is something other than our diet.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   
'Science' has been steering people away from healthy food for many decades. Butter was replaced with margarine, and just like cooking oils our body doesn't metabolize them.

Eggs were bad, until they weren't. GMO'S taint our entire food source. Snack foods, cake mixes, puddings, flour, sugar, oats- they're all tainted. Their is virtually nothing in a supermarket that doesn't contain chemicals to enhance flavor and/or extend shelf life. MSG is used liberally as a flavor enhancer and also as a trigger to eat more and never feel satisfied, called the 'Pavlovian' response, which triggers neurons in the addictive portions of ones' brain. Bet you can't eat just one!

GMO crops are sprayed with Roundup; the claim is the herbicide doesn't get into the plant, but tests show it does indeed.
Organic? All that's required to claim food as organic is to use only pesticides and herbicides the USDA hasn't approved for organic crops, and that they contain no GMO's.

The FDA sets limits on how many toxic chemicals and at what levels can be added to our foods to extend shelf life, and to enhance color and flavor in each product on the shelf to ensure safety. I have wondered what happens if you combine several products that are at 'safe' limits, does the total chemical content increase beyond the FDA maximum allowed?
What amount chemicals that can't be safely combined?

The food we eat to the air we breath and the water we drink has become heavily saturated with chemicals. Since this doesn't seem to be a great concern- unlike climate change and CRT- I wonder when a tipping point will be reached.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Luders Lard...one of the best.....only if it was called something other than LARD...Then again we wouldn't have the phrase...Hey LARD ARSE...

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I baked a Peking duck for Thanksgiving. It rendered a lot of beautiful lard. Duck lard isnt cheap. I keep it in small Mason jars in the fridge, and add it to soups, and sauté with it. I didnt waste any part of that duck. The carcass was simmered into soup, with vegetables and wild rice.

I use avocado oil for high temps, EV Kalamata olive oil for low sauté, and Miyoko's butter, as a butter replacement.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:18 PM
link   
We use the regular shortening for making some stuff, it is a mixture of animal fats and vegetable oils. It isn't cheaper than crisco anymore, and it is harder to find. It contains around fifty percent mixture of lard and tallow from what I am reading. We buy it because of the taste, not because it is healthier.

We also render the fat from the half a grassfed cow that we get each year, but that only gives us about a gallon of beef tallow, it is really good tasting and is supposed to contain quite a bit of nutrients.

The article addresses pastured lard, not lard from animals in factory farms which may be mellower in flavor but has less diversity of nutrients. It is still all right, but not as good.

I get heartburn from pure lard in crusts for some reason, I like the mix of fats, it does not do that. Beef shortening is better tasting to make fried potatoes in, but organic certified grassfed beef tallow is expensive, around sixteen bucks a pint if shipping is free, so we just make our own in a big cast iron porcelain enameled pot in the oven. In the winter it takes about five to six hours at three hundred twenty five degrees to totally render, the heat does not get wasted, it is heating the house. In the summer, we usually do not render the fats.

We did buy leaf lard about four years ago but as I expected, it caused me heartburn. The wife has no problem with that, I do not know why it bothers me. I am a little intolerant to pork if I eat too much, so I try to limit the amount of pork I eat. But I do not get heartburn off of pork chops or spare ribs, and I eat the crispy fat too, I have no clue what is going on with that.

I can't understand why grazing pigs vitamin D is so high, maybe because they lack sweat glands in the skin so it is not sweat out or something. Pigs out in the sun probably have more vitamin D because of the sunlight I suppose.

I like the taste of lard in crusts, but lard bites me, that heartburn of pure lard sucks. I do not have that problem when frying potatoes in bacon grease. I like frying eggs in bacon grease too, no heart burn from either of those things. It may have something to do with the leaf lard which is the better quality lard and comes from around the organs of the pig I suppose.

The saturated fats in animal fats is less apt to be absorbed unless you consume emulsifiers in the same meals, emulsifiers mix fats and water, like polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, polysorbate 80, carrageenan, and xanthian gum All of those give me problems except the xanthian gum is not as bad as the others. One of the reasons I cannot eat ice cream and some milk products that are thickened.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

I believe butchers still sell lard.

I haven't looked for it in supermarkets.
edit on 9122021 by Wide-Eyes because: Missed word

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

Grapeseed oil is also good for high temperature and has almost no taste

Someone here, I think it was DAVID but not completely sure, recommended it for my grill over a year ago. Since then I only use grapeseed oil for high temps and can not complain at all.

Duck lard is so good for so many things, I will make two small ducks for Christmas Eve and almost more excited about the replenished duck fat reserves than the dinner itself.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Duck fat is yummy, as is lard
Being southern I save bacon grease for cooking as well. Not sure about the nutrients, but it's good 😁

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Agreed.

So....I went to Las Americas, the local Mexican/latino supermarket.

Lard was on sale 4 lbs for $8.35 and I bought one of those and bottle of Bahia iodized sea salt.

There is another brand of iodized sea salt that has a lot more iodine in it(this one is 20% Recommended daily allowance per serving, the other one is 99 percent, but this location didn't stock that one.

Lard and salt is good preps.

LOL

I'm not a big survivalist freak, but I have 20 lbs of dry pintos and 20 lbs of long grain rice in reserve. Just in case.

The lard gives me a better sense of security. A little dollop of it in each batch of pintos will totally make a difference If cI have to live off it for an extended emergency. I have spices also but I think the lard is really more important.

Zero trans fat!

I usually cook with coconut oil, but I'm going to get a little tub next time and start using it.

(Keep the 4 lber in reserve.)

The small one lb tubs were about $2.50.

I bring this up because we used to not be obese and I think this is why.

We ate lard.

Not GMO vveg oils and shortenings.

You need healthy fats in order to absorb vitamins and minerals.

Bad fats don't work.

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: texas thinker

It's the same thing.(bacon grease is pork fat)

LOL

Bacon and eggs wasn't a traditional meal until Madison Avenue marketing.

Sausages....that was normal because you could salt and smoke cure them before the refrigerator.

Little extra factoid: The feral pigs that roam Arkansas and elsewhere are descendant from the Hernando De Soto entrada.

There were no pigs in the Americas until the conquistadores brought them over here.

These were domesticated pigs without hair or tusks. Once they go feral they grow hair and tusks.

edit on 9-12-2021 by Luvapottamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2021 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Good quality Beef Dripping is far better than Lard, sadly what they give the cattle end's up in there fat deposits so that ends up in us.

Still while I no longer use it you can not better chip's (Fries in the US) cooked to a golden crispy in beef dripping.

But also remember people used to have far more active lives so they used that energy, if you don't use it were does it go, into our own fat deposit's and that is not good.

Also got to watch those arteries.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join