It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Take A Look At This Nonsense

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I watched this last night with my son last night. Not really my cup of tea, cause most of the CW shows are just angst teen dramas, but for what it was, not bad.

Source

Anyway, so this story breaks today:

The CW network’s new science fiction television show Star Crossed outraged conservative Christian viewers on Monday when it predicted that the words “under God” would no longer be in the Pledge of Allegiance in the near future.

The show, set in 2024, tells the story of a romance between a human girl named Emery and an alien boy named Roman, who has been allowed to attend her high school even though most of his fellow aliens were imprisoned in internment camps after coming to Earth.

Just minutes into the premiere episode, Emery makes her way to her first high school class, where other students are reciting the Pledge of Allegiance.

“I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all,” the students say.

Although the pledged recite by the students at the futurist high school was exactly as it was written in 1892 before the words “under God” were added, conservatives on Twitter lashed out and vowed never to never watch the show again.

Ok, so never mind the fact that even just contemplating alien life the way they've set it up, goes against their religious values, but they are upset that Under God was removed.

Which is nonsense, considering the ORIGINAL pledge did not contain that language, which makes their version of it, far more historically correct than what conservatives would like.

Just like the whole this isn't my language fiasco, conservatives are stuck in this time warp it seems. Where the 1950's are still what they cling to and they desperately want the US to return to that state of mind.

I guess I'm not surprised that ignorant people would act in a manner considered ignorant, but these things are getting more frequent and honestly, it's total nonsense.

If I went through those people's viewing habits, I'm sure I would find ANY NUMBER of the shows they watch violate a variety, if not all of the tenants they supposedly subscribe do under their conservative ideology.

CW meanwhile is just happy for the free publicity.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I have no idea why I'm laughing.

What a ridiculous thing to get upset over.
edit on 2/19/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Anyone else think its a little archaic to have our children swearing loyalty oaths in the first place?

And thats coming from a staunch constitutionalist.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

benrl
Anyone else think its a little archaic to have our children swearing loyalty oaths in the first place?

Yeah the whole patriotism thing doesn't really fly these days does it?

I see where you're coming from with that.

Question, as a constitutionalist, do you have any qualms with the language of 'god' being removed?

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The US is leading the way with movies and drama covering alternative and sometimes controversial ideas but also probably has the highest outrage factor in the Western world, ironically.

The whole patriotism thing features so strongly in the US identity that anything that strays from it will be challenged by some.

I think the whole left / right, lib / cons, dichotomy features too strongly in the West IMO, it lacks the balance of a harmonious society.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The Original Pledge of Allegiance .

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Pledging oath to the flag is idolatry.

Even if you are not religious, idolatry is bad.

That being said...

Who cares how it is worded?

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I just hope that the people making the show or the station execs don't put forth some kind of apology saying how they regret the decision and how now someone get's fired over this, etc. etc.

Please tell me they are going to stand their ground and tell these f**ing cry babies to just change the channel to Pat Robertson next time then!!

I'm so sick of everyone saying sorry because they say something some Fundi doesn't like because of their mythology. I mean just grow a pair for once and don't give in to yet another group of whiny non-thinkers.

Just this once.....Have some dignity and self respect......come on, ya know ya want to.....

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The original pledge of allegiance written in 1892 didn't contain the words "under god". That was added by congress 62 years later in 1954.

www.ushistory.org...

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

benrl

Yeah the whole patriotism thing doesn't really fly these days does it?

I see where you're coming from with that.

Question, as a constitutionalist, do you have any qualms with the language of 'god' being removed?

~Tenth

It wasn't there in the first place, from the money to the pledge.

Ill add a 2nd reason.

As a Christian, this nation has undertaken actions that I would gladly remove under God from all of our money and the pledge, as it couldn't be further from the truth.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Uh huh, who invented the idea of a flag anyway?

Control freaks…

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

If I went through those people's viewing habits, I'm sure I would find ANY NUMBER of the shows they watch violate a variety, if not all of the tenants they supposedly subscribe do under their conservative ideology.

Id' be willing to bet my car on that!

*as a side note: Arrow, Nikita, and the older Veronica Mars are decent CW shows
Ringer as well but it was cancelled.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
They are ok with the inter-species romance?

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Eddie Izzard says it was the brits.

www.youtube.com...

Go to 4:05 and you'll see its true.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
In my personal opinion, people ought to recite the pledge as it is or not at all. It's just that simple.

Anything else is disrespecting it, and that is very much disrespecting what it stands for. Hate the Government, and I'll agree in many ways too. The nation and people that form it are what the flag represents. Not the career politicians who fancy it to be about them.

Perhaps it is time to take out what Congress added in so recently, in historic terms. Given that is where it came from and when it was added? I might even agree.

However, this disregarding things because we just don't like life the way it..ahem..IS...is what has started small and moved right on up to other things leading headlines now for other laws just casually disregarded or enforced on an 'as desired' basis, and in high enough profile ways to be a topic of national headline and discussion. That alone speaks volumes to the pervasiveness of the 'meh...it's just the way things are supposed to be...we can ignore it' attitude as it's spread.

The pledge may seem a small thing and those who think least of it do seem to follow other general directions for world views, though perhaps not exclusively. Removing or disregarding it is no small thing though. Not in what it represents.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

In my personal opinion, people ought to recite the pledge as it is or not at all. It's just that simple.

Anything else is disrespecting it, and that is very much disrespecting what it stands for. Hate the Government, and I'll agree in many ways too. The nation and people that form it are what the flag represents. Not the career politicians who fancy it to be about them.

Using a "flag" as representative of all that is noble is a ruse. As nebulous as a "war on terror", designed for our minds to be just vague enough so as to mislead most of the people most of the time.

Let noble concepts stand by themselves, teach that to our children (instead of ritual oaths to young impressionable minds). It is that indoctrination at a pre cognitive stage that is the proof of the deception…

"You don't have to know what you're pledging, just swear by it".

Then later, its so much easier to get young men to take up arms to "defend the flag". When after all here we have learned that that cry is become just a corporate call for profit and a political cry for conquest. Then, now, everywhere and when.

And what are these noble concepts? You mean like peace and good will towards others, forgiveness, turning the other cheek? They have been supplanted by the authority of men and don't sit well with their war like nature.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Using a "flag" as representative of all that is noble is a ruse. As nebulous as a "war on terror", designed for our minds to be just vague enough so as to mislead most of the people most of the time.

I'm sorry if it's not to your liking, but symbolism for nationalism or even tribalism goes back several thousand years of human history. I tend to embrace tradition that predates history as I know it. I'm certainly not going to take on the hubris of believing I'm in any position to declare the beliefs of others to be a 'ruse'.

For some of us..what that flag stands for IS worth fighting and giving everything for. It has been in past generations and it continues to be to this day. Country and the Leadership are, again, two very different things in some contexts.

There are 330 Million citizens and others across our great land. A few thousand of them are scumbag, career politicians. I'm never going to talk down, forsake or disrespect over 300 million of my fellow Americans just to get personal ya yas from bashing the symbol of the nation they belong to. They and I both, for that matter.

It's one of those matters where opinions vary and opinions say a great deal about the person voicing it, to be sure.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Its so easy to malign the particular ideology you love to hate these days. Just pick half a dozen foul smelling and densely ignorant tweets and claim they represent the views of that particular group, in this case "Conservatives" and "Christians". The truth is of course that most people didnt notice, and if they did, they didnt care. Its just a show. Its just a few tweets. Unless of course you're living in ideology bubble where "the other side" (left or right) is involved in some nefarious conspiracy.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Since you felt the need to use the term "conservatives" to describe believers, I feel the need to remind you that some people believe in a god (of some type) and some believe in Obama (as a new type of messiah).

(Myself excluded from both categories.)

The basic spiel we are hearing and will continue to hear right up until some form of news comes out that there is advanced life out there (and here) is the one-note urgency of accepting "Diversity" as the uniting thought to be ingrain within every brain. Nothing wrong in that, it trumps the word of "integration" that I grew up with. however, on the coattails of living in the land of Diversity is the liberal view that the residual anger of the formerly down-trodden must be over looked in all of the ways it that manifested today in mandated and multiple social and governmental edicts from the very top to the very bottom. This constant display is social engineering at its most obvious.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Oh No I didn't, the article did.

I was simply carrying on the same line of thought. Let's be honest though liberals who are religious aren't likely to ever complain about something like this. Conservatives are traditionally the ones who complain about these sorts of things.

Hence the comments.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join