It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Prison Better Then Poverty?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

onequestion

Im sorry thats how you feel about your siblings.

Some of my family are not perfect either but i still have compassion for them.

I did, but I don't anymore. She would drag anyone she could down into her little hell. She drove my mom into bankruptcy and I could spend every dime I have on her and get nowhere. I have a wife, 2 kids, and a future for them all that comes first. I have wasted 10,000s on her over the years just for her to sit on her butt in the end doing nothing.

To sit in a house with no electricity or water I would think at some point jail would be better. At lease then should could read all day as she does now.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

I have relatives like that but i still love them and im still there for them.

I definately dont wish they were in prison.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   

onequestion

I have relatives like that but i still love them and im still there for them.

I definately dont wish they were in prison.

I'm not wishing her to go to prison, I just think that prison life would be a better one than she has created on her own. I guess my point is that prison can be a step up for some people.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Two words: Tough Love. By enabling her, you make the situation worse. I do not mind helping people who will help themselves but not those who will not try. Do not take kindness as weakness. I do have compassion for my fellow humans but I refuse to be taken advantage of. Sometimes you have to cut your losses. Maybe the tough love will sink in and create the next saint or at least self sufficient.

The topic at hand is sad because this country was the greatest one on Earth at one time. I see the sands slipping away eroding morals. I read a couple posts here where someone said that when morals die so does the empire. At least I have a front row seat. Waste more money building America back up and less on wars. A resource grab can be so cut throat not only for those abroad but here at home also.

Dig a little deeper in the well. Try to do what is best. That is all any of us can really do. I do not have the respect in social circles nor the money to make that much of a difference but I'll try anyway.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I hope no one gives up on me like that. I would be devestated if someone I love said I would be better off in a state run cage.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
2 things to consider though, is that there is no Freedom in Prison. I'd rather have death than lose my freedom. Two, you can always climb out of abstract poverty. It might take you a few years but you can always get out.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LOSTinAMERICA

This country was the greatest in the world when? For whome? For some certain chosen families sure.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Unless your health is deteriorating. Society is cruel to bums in this day and age. I bet a bum who is on his last leg would rather be in prison than get knocked out in the knock out game or his face eaten off.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Good point, but even then I think there's a way out. I would find a way out but I'm stubborn that way.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Yeah, my friend shot himself last week. He found a way out.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by amazing

I understand stubbornness. I would like to think I would also try my hardest to get out of a bad situation. I cannot say what life has for me and I hope I never have to find out the hard way. I have had ups and downs but I'm still here. I can understand why people take the easy way out. Some people are weaker than others. That is a fact of life. I wasn't joking about my friend shooting himself. I felt like I should have said something to help his situation before it came to that. I knew he was unstable and down on his luck. Drugs took their toll on him and that's when I cut ties. I heard from another friend that he shot himself. All I can say is I won't be going out like that.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Prison IS poverty...

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I just think Prison is a bad way out. It would be nice if we could help those who really need it most.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Another_Nut

I didn't say you were different. I said there was a culture that tended to want to trap you in that cycle. There were always a few who were going to break out, but there were far more who took the path of least resistance. They either got into gangs or didn't take their schooling seriously and try to do what was right. Or if they did, they lost any hope or strength and fell into the second cycle I described.

You're right it's the pattern the government wants people in. The government wants us all in it, but they haven't destroyed everyone yet. They're getting closer all the time, and the key is to destroy families.

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

TKDRL

This country was the greatest in the world when? For whome? For some certain chosen families sure.

I'm not complaining too much about USA. I understand we have our problems, but find me a country that doesn't have issues.. I grew up in poverty, which had it's own challenges, but I overcame them. This country is still one of many opportunities, which is why so many still try to come live here... So you can believe this country isn't the greatest or was never the greatest, but in all reality, it's a pretty solid place to live when comparing to other countries around the world...

Just one Americans opinion...

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I got ya

But many of those i schooled with are doing much better than me atm

I think its maybe more of a economic thing

Like Detroit where you have few options

Compared to Oklahoma city where the options are a little easier to come by

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by IronVelvet

For many it is.

(post by IronVelvet removed for a manners violation)

posted on Feb, 8 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join