It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americanization of the Sheep British.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I drink tea, and watch Downton Abbey.

edit on 092828p://bSaturday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Your taste buds must be damaged.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Was it still just as boring as it was in 1982? I wouldnt know, i was only born in '89 lol

Soccer (futbol) is becoming wildly popular here now - over the last 20 years or so...

we just finished our first major-league soccer season with our team "Sporting KC" (stupid name, but they have a nice new stadium that sells out regularly, and did really well).

And....what the hell is "cricket", please? It's a jumpy insect we hear at night in summer and feed to fish and lizards and cats play with.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

I see a cultural exchange. There are plenty of other cultural/social imports here in the United States. Economics are often a driving force in that, which can seem déclassé, but it is inevitable. I'm not really sure why this has you upset. Isn't Indian food darn near an adopted cultural staple in the U.K.? Why is a Hershey bar more offensive? I suppose it could be picking and choosing the quality of your cultural imports; I mean curry vs. McDonalds isn't much of a contest in terms of value, but that seems a bit cherry-picky to me. Is it just that you don't like American culture and so any representation of it within your own is offensive to you? That is rather what this looks like, but perhaps I misunderstand. (For the record I think American football is too slow and frankly more than a little silly, so maybe you have the glimmerings of a point there).

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

wildtimes

Was it still just as boring as it was in 1982? I wouldnt know, i was only born in '89 lol

Soccer (futbol) is becoming wildly popular here now - over the last 20 years or so...

we just finished our first major-league soccer season with our team "Sporting KC" (stupid name, but they have a nice new stadium that sells out regularly, and did really well).

And....what the hell is "cricket", please? It's a jumpy insect we hear at night in summer and feed to fish and lizards and cats play with.

Cricket is probably the most boring sport ever inflicted upon humanity. It should be banned globally haha.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I actually quite like American Football. Once you work out what's going on and whose doing what. I'd definitely stay up and watch the Super Bowl, but I'm lucky if I can stay awake till 10 pm these days.

As I kid I was obsessed with Michael Jordan, I used to hire out the slam dunk competition videos and just love it. Played NBA jam on the Nintendo and really enjoyed basketball

There has always been a bit of Americanisation in the UK, especially with music, film and other cultural things. It's called globalisation. I don't eat much American food, but a KFC tower burger, is a welcome addition. Like another poster said Indian food has made more of an impact here. It's something I eat at least once a week. American fast food is about once or twice a year.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

NO! That would be golf.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

SearchLightsInc
The question is WHY.

Cuz we are coooool!

Seriously though. Dont' worry about it. Unless you guys give up drinking tea for coffee; and start drinking Sam Adams; and dump soccer and tennis for football and hockey .. you don't have to worry about it.

Your Beatles changed a bit of American culture.
So Starbucks opens a store in London.
Share/share. It's all good.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

wildtimes

I didn't say what was quoted in your reply to me.

anyway, I was born in 72 not 89.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

god I feel old

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Stormdancer777

NO! That would be golf.

Amen.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

SearchLightsInc

Battleline

I would suggest you ask the store owners and your local broadcast station. You will probably find out the store items make British store owners a lot of money and the football broadcast makes British broadcast stations an obscene amount of money.

I have a hard time with you blaming America for this when it is British entities that are making all the money.

I am glad to see this is all you have to worry about in GB..by the way, how is the Islamization of Britain coming along " you looking forward to Sharia Law anytime soon ?

Im not blaming america but AMERICAN BRANDS.

And the "Islamification" of the UK is coming along just fine and by that i mean not at all. Trust me, i live here. You've been reading to much Daily Mail.

American brands care nothing for nationality they only care for profit. So if you want that crap out of your nation get people to stop buying it as soon as the profit drops off they will be out of your nation before you can say get out.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Cricket is actually the 2nd most popular sport in the world. More a testament to the size and influence of the British Empire than its entertainment value. I definitely agree its one of the most boring sports invented. I remember trying to explain the rules to an American and just gave up. So many silly terms and positions, it's like learning a new language. The Americans did well to miss out on this bore fest. Worth winning the war for independence just to escape it. Other countries weren't so lucky.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Say what?

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Oh, I'm so sorry!!!

No, it was searchlight who said it. You had just cracked me up when you pointed out "Super Bowel", and I jumped the gun.

Sorry!!!!

I'll see if I can rectify that.
MY BAD

CRAP! It's too late.
This is what I meant to respond to:

As an American who doesn't like American Football (nearly making me a traitor to my country lol), I chuckled at your spelling of "Super Bowel" (sic) intentional or not.

LOL!!!!

I went off on the tangent of soccer based on the entire thread.
I humbly apologize, chamber.

edit on 2/1/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Stormdancer777

NO! That would be golf.

No, tennis!

Yet another game the British inflicted on the world (it originated in France, but we have to accept the blame for creating the modern game)

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
btw, as for Americanisation, I see today that Starbucks has now spread to Siberia ....

siberiantimes.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

NO! That would be golf.

Oh, golf.

YAWN

yeah. Dull da duh du DULL!!!!!
I'm a proud Scot descendant, but golf has GOT to be the worst spectator sport on earth.
----------------------

Thanks to the poster who remarked on cricket - even though I still don't know what it is, now I know I don't have to bother.

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Rumour has it the Dutch invented golf. Though I defer to Tolkien

tolkiengateway.net...

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Women's Beach Volleyball is entertaining though...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join