It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USB Ports Not Working

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I have three USB ports and I was plugging in a mouse and it sparked, now none of the USB ports are working. Are they forever ruined or did the system possibly just shut everything down as a surge protection?

I've already taken battery out and unplugged to see if that would reset anything and it didn't.

I am not great with hardware issues on computers but if anyone knows what I could do to possibly fix this let me know.

Also: It shows them working properly in device manager.
edit on 24-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: D

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

Try going into the USB hub properties and uncheck the option that says something along the lines of "turn this device off to save power"

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I've seen that happen on a pc and it killed that channel, but the others still worked. Is it a laptop?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

How do I do that?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Yes. None of the ports are working currently.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

You may have killed the 5 volt supply. If thats the case your only real option is to power usb devices with an external source. Phone chargers are good for that if they're small devices.
edit on 24-1-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Do you have an optical mouse that lights up? If so plug it in, if it lights the supply is still good.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

First:

hit windows button + R
type or copy "mmc devmgmt.msc" without brackets and hit enter
look if everything is ok (no red/yellow icons)

Shut down PC.
Unplug power supply.
Make sure you switch off the power button, too, if it has one.
Open case.
Unplug power supply from mainboard (ATX plug, the big one is enough)
Wait at least 20 seconds.
Plug in ATX plug.
Plug in power supply.
Turn power supply on.

If this does not help:

Do you have a voltage meter / multimeter with you at the moment? If so, cut any old usb cable, remove isolation of the wires and make sure they don´t touch. Find out the most left and most right pin wires (resistance meter mode), plug the cable in and measure in direct current mode, there should be around 5V on those two. Now you know there is still voltage on the bus.

If that´s the case and usb still does not work, your bus driver chip is damaged, you probably need a new mainboard. If there is no voltage on the bus, you could, like void hawk already said, power the USB bus over extern OR link your cut cable to the red + black wires of the molex plug of the power supply and plug it into an USB hub. Then, maybe, if your USB driver chip (datalink) is not damaged, you may have a chance.

edit on 24-1-2014 by verschickter because: spelling, WOT split

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

I'm going to have to buy a tiny screwdriver to try what you're saying with the ATX thingy.

I don't have a voltage meter.

I hope it's not completely messed up.

I'll have to go up to hardware store tomm.
edit on 24-1-2014 by OrphanApology because: D

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I hope you don´t want to use the screwdriver to remove to plug, because you don´t need one. You just need a screwdriver to open the case if even. The ATX plug has a plastic nose/spring you need to press it against the plug and slowly lever it out.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
First I would check each usb visually. Look down inside and see if any of the four metal connectors are bent over touching one another. This can happen if one of the usb's are damaged while forcing a plug into them. If so unplug the PC and straighten them to the best of your ability.

If they look fine then restart and go into your motherboards bios and check that they are on. Your motherboard bios usually can be accessed by hitting f2 or delete key as your computer starts. If not you'll have to google how for your motherboards manufacturer.
edit on 24-1-2014 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

you´re right, she should look for it first and again after she plugged the ATX plug back to make sure they are still on if BIOS should reset because of bad battery on mobo.
edit on 24-1-2014 by verschickter because: spelling

edit on 24-1-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

No the screwdriver is for case. It has these tiny screws that are the size of those ones on eyeglasses.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

OrphanApology
How do I do that?

This Microsoft article also gives you several ways of getting the USB ports working again:

support.microsoft.com...

It would help to know if this is a laptop or desktop. If a laptop, your options are limited to the above article. If a desktop and you've tried the options in the Microsoft article, then you could purchase a PCI/PCIe USB card(s) to get some new USB ports that way.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

What are you using, Notebook?
bonez beat me to it

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Did you use the same mouse to check the other ports?

Try another USB item in a port that didn't spark.

Good luck!
edit on 24-1-2014 by ChuckNasty because: !

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Laptop.

And I used different USB device to test everything. Actually three.

I will brb, I think I found screwdriver that will work.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Hold up, did you ever open a laptop before? I would try the software side first.
You might "screw up"

Jump to 2:14

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Before you go opening things, have you tried all the different options in the Microsoft article I posted above?

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

She won´t find any big ATX plug in there either. I don´t know my trick would work with the type type of PS she´s using.
Flushing the condensators works sometimes.
I also advise to go through that microsoft paper first.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join