It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Rock 'Appears' in Front of Mars Rover

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

And its shape seems to preclude a roll without leaving several marks on the ground along the way, marks which aren't seen on any of the photographs.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
We had no hint from NASA, before this, that the area between the rover and the mystery rock was a downslope. That seems an odd thing to omit, under the circumstances.
Mass and inertia remain, regardless of the strength of the gravity field. I believe you'll find that an object will resist rolling on a steeper slope on Mars than it would on Earth.
NASA is making at least a couple of assumptions. 1.) That the rock definitely rolled from the direction of the rover to its current position. and 2.) That the rock received a sufficient impetus from the rover to roll down to its current location.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

These "moving" rocks might be undergoing the same phenomena as the rocks in the Death Valley Salt Flats. While even that is still unexplained, it's all I could come up with regarding this post.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ross 54

Like I mention above, this seems like too odd and bulky of a shape for a good roll. It looks like it would maybe start bouncing if it rolled, and not flow on a good round roll.

By the way everyone, on that Spoke fossil on another thread? User Blue Shift may have found another one, but it may just be image distortion and optical illusion.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 24-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Arken
reply to post by grey580

This "ROCK" could be The Major Event in Mars exploration....
S&F.

"Something" is moving on Mars... and is NOT the Rover....

edit on 17-1-2014 by Arken because: (no reason given)

Is this true color?

If so, I'd wager some strange spooky stuff goin' on with that blue #...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Steve Squires, principal investigator of the Mars Exploration Rover mission talks about the mystery "jelly donut" Mars rock and its strange chemistry on The Planetary Society's Planetary Radio.

Have a listen starting at about 10 minutes in.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

interesting listen , the thing I don't get , they keep talking about this red stuff inside it , or red color ... but it looks blue,/ has a reaction taken place prior to the picture where it appears blue ?

truly odd and come on Nasa its been long enough now , where are the rest of the close ups?

*funBox tears into his cuttlefish*

funBox
edit on 30-1-2014 by funbox because: insert pic

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Dr. Steve Squyers has described the color of the center of the object as 'raspberry jam red'. He also said that the chemistry of the rock was 'really weird'. A very high abundance of manganese has been reported.
Perhaps the red color is from Mn3, manganese metal ions. These give a vivid red color to red beryl, a fairly rare gemstone, and to some other minerals.
edit on 30-1-2014 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
That " Thing" is a Lichen! Similar to the Apothecium Lichen.... Wow!

It is a Living Form!

And I've seen hundreds of the same feature that appear like simply rocks....

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

If he thinks spores were exposed to moisture and germinated then why're there no other germinating spores turning into mushrooms nearby?

My bets are ..... I don't know. I guess it depends how much weight the NASA team has in your mind. If you think they're very intelligent and knowledgeable then you have to conclude if this were a lifeform then they'd be saying something about it. Since they haven't come out and said this is possibly a lifeform then one must conclude it probably isn't. However, if the NASA team just missed it somehow because they're not as capable as expected and this other guy saw it instead, it still has to be confirmed - bold claims require big evidence. This "other guy" is also part of the Journal of Cosmology which publishes questionable research.
edit on 30-1-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Arken
That " Thing" is a Lichen! Similar to the Apothecium Lichen.... Wow!

Even if it's a lichen, how did it get there?

PS: I think that "apothecium" is the name of a part of the lichen, not a type of lichen.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Even if it's a lichen, how did it get there?

What kind of question is this ArMap?

Even if you are an human, how did you get here?

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Arken

It's a normal question, as it wasn't there on the first photo and lichens are not supposed to move on their own.

Humans are known to be able to move from place to place.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

ArMaP

Arken

It's a normal question, as it wasn't there on the first photo and lichens are not supposed to move on their own.

Humans are known to be able to move from place to place.

Lichens spore can do the same, I think, and however, they could die and reborn in the same situ seasonally, or in the good weather conditions.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Arken
Lichens spore can do the same, I think, and however, they could die and reborn in the same situ seasonally, or in the good weather conditions.

Spores, as far as I understand it, can rely only on something like the wind to be spread or they can have some filaments that they move to propel themselves inside liquids, they cannot move on dry land.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Mars, as far as I know, have some wind...

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Arken
reply to post by ArMaP

Now we only need evidence of all the rest.

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Arken
reply to post by ArMaP

Not just some. Full blown dust and electrical storms at times.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
The issue of how the object moved to its current location still seems to be unresolved. Without a geological context, the dislodged-rock- rolling-down-a- slope scenario is speculative, and this has been admitted.
The observations so far indicate that the object is made of minerals, albeit unusual-appearing ones. This doesn't rule out the presence of a living thing somewhere in the object. We have the precedent, on Earth, of barnacles, which are, when at rest, totally encased in a mineral coating, calcium carbonate.

posted on Feb, 9 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The recent article, linked below, Indicates that the red center of the mystery rock is thought to be a combination of iron and manganese oxides, and the white outer coating is probably sulfates. It seems to be the manganese that gives the center its unique shade of red. Dr. Steve Squires remarked that it isn't the usual Martian red.
There is still no word on the finding of the hole or 'divot' from which the mystery rock is supposed to have been dislodged by the rover. Given the firm and rocky terrain, it seems that this should be findable. Failure to do so tends to weaken the speculation that the rock was merely dislodged and rolled down slope.
www.planetary.org...

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join