It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Once Again Obama Claims Ignorance - this time of NSA Surveillance

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   

xuenchen

We *can* really "Trust" this nut right?

One look at him and all I see is "cover up" and melting icing on the donuts.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by Indigo5

That quells the rage a little bit.
I don't think I'll ever be un-mad at the situation though.

There is plenty to be mad about...

What I want to know is what Snowden still has.

He obviously has reserved some heavy artillery, it keeps him safe. It is currency that he can trade for a return to the USA or to hold on to as protection in case the US Gov. comes after him heavy.

If what he has already leaked...are the appetizers, what is the main course?

Good reporters should not be hyper-focused on the President talking about reforming the NSA's gathering of Meta-Data...they should trying to figure out what the other hand is doing...what don't we know yet?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Not to risk derail there Beez...but I agree with Hilary then and now. "What difference does it make"...if those folks were angry over a movie or angry because they think the USA is the great Satan...I don't care "why" ...there is no good "why" for what happened in Behngazi..There is no good reason for car bombs and suicide vests."HOW" they did it and "HOW" to stop it from happening again is what is important.

And just for reference:
Clinton: With all due respect, the fact is we had four dead Americans. Was it because of a protest or was it because of guys out for a walk one night who decided that they’d they go kill some Americans? What difference at this point does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, Senator.
www.politifact.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

My meme was on target and pertinent to the thread.

What difference will these new "rules" make?

I've worked for Uncle Sugar long enough to know that even before Obama came out today, NSA already had a work-around figured out with the Justice Department.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Indigo5
reply to post by Libertygal

Right...Postal sorting equipment that reads the address and routes it uses computer tech. It's a small step from there to insert technology to store that image/data if they choose to. BUT...at the end of the day...if you simply do not include a return address on the outside of the envelope they have nothing to track you by. It is a million-fold more private than a cell phone, text, or email. It's why it took them decades to find the unibomber and why many of the ricin mailings remain unsolved....not to point out the obvious downside of that..

That isn't what the article said... it was actually pretty quick with the ricin letters, iirc. Seems they have gotten a lot better at that whole tracing thing.

From the same article:

www.forbes.com...

If it doesn’t include a return address, as with the ricin letters, it’s possible to look at the pieces of mail around it for an approximate
location. The 20 pieces of mail scanned
before and after the ricin letters allowed
investigators to figure out they were
probably sent from a particular zip code in
Texas.

Seriously, there is something to be said for the good ole Postal System. It's the most private communication network we have right now.

I don't disagree it is the most private right now, but...

That's why I stated my response the way I did, when I asked about them opening and scanning the contents, "Or, are they?"

How long until we find out that tidbit, once it starts happening?

Never say never!

edit on 17-1-2014 by Libertygal because: l

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Indigo5

I am following it, closely and for a bit longer before I have to run for several hours beyond computer access to watch developments.

So far, I haven't heard of wide ranging replacements and removals of people in positions within US Intelligence and the NSA in particular.

As usual, it seems the bottom line will be 'no one is directly to blame cause they kinda all did it ..and promise to do no more'...or something along those general lines of thought.

Stinkin' Thinkin' is what I call that and until heads roll out the door and without pensions or benefits for retirement? He's not all that offended by what has happened.

He's not offended at all, and infact was lying. As evident by his micro body language (eyes & upturned lips). He knew about it, though it may not have been as much as a big deal to him as the response (by the public) has been.

I do honestly believe that they think we are all mostly pretty stupid.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

First-Class Mail and First-Class Package Service parcels (Commercial Plus prices), but not First-Class Package Service (Commercial Base Prices), are closed against inspection. The United States Postal Service® may open mail classes other than First-Class Mail to determine if the proper postage was paid. First-Class Package Service (Commercial Base Prices) may not contain personnel correspondence.

Link

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Indigo5
reply to post by beezzer

"What difference does it make"...if those folks were angry over a movie

come now, you dont think anyone is still buying that load of dung, do you?

Benghazi what?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

So what kind of president we have that have no clue what his own government agencies are doing?, he either is an incompetent a puppet or just getting his fair share of data mining when it comes to congress members and the Supreme court.

Doesn't the president the one that have to approve the appointment of the head of the national security agency after the Secretary of defense choses him or her?.
edit on 17-1-2014 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

beezzer
So we have a choice.

We either have a president who lies.

Or one that is a complete moron.

Biden is already filling the role as moron, so. . . . . . I'm going with liar on this one.

"if you like your privacy, you can keep your privacy"

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Indigo5
What I want to know is what Snowden still has.

What Snowden has is nothing the Chinese and Russians don't/didn't already have. That's why the Russians have him and not the NSA.

What Snowden really has is a crappy life in a foreign country. What Snowden has is a 'broken trust' label that's never going away.

What Snowden doesn't have is an ability to be free in society ... for a VERY long time.

What Snowden lost is a very important time in anyone's life. Consider his age ... his earning potential at this time of his life. He'll likely never be a rich man.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

beezzer
I've worked for Uncle Sugar long enough to know that even before Obama came out today, NSA already had a work-around figured out with the Justice Department.

So tell. Start a thread and I'll help you fill in gaps.
edit on 1712014 by Snarl because: formatting

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I just might. . . . . .

2nd

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Obama will be on the TV later today. He'll be making announcements about how he was surprised and disturbed at the extent of NSA Surveillance (yeah, right *eyeroll),

Wait WHAT ?

Surprised ?

Disturbed ?

My arse:

Obama effing knew before he took the job.and campaigned on it.

6 years later and his administration is still spying.

What a liar.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

....If he had truly been ignorant....

I'm not seeing rage...

We SHOULD ALL be seeing rage. This is OUTRAGEOUS!

(post by StoutBroux removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Nobody can debate President Obama better than Senator Obama. Still so sad to see the man that the Senator was and who he became.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Indigo5

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Indigo5

So far, I haven't heard of wide ranging replacements and removals of people in positions within US Intelligence and the NSA in particular.

Maybe I just pay attention to these issues more than most...a recovering news junkie..

NSA Spy Director Keith Alexander & Deputy to Step Down
www.heavy.com...
edit on 17-1-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

Those folks weren't running these units directly and day to day. They aren't anywhere near close to enough to account for what has happened. It's the usual scapegoating and two-stepping, IMO.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   

RobinB022

First-Class Mail and First-Class Package Service parcels (Commercial Plus prices), but not First-Class Package Service (Commercial Base Prices), are closed against inspection. The United States Postal Service® may open mail classes other than First-Class Mail to determine if the proper postage was paid. First-Class Package Service (Commercial Base Prices) may not contain personnel correspondence.

Link

Yes, yes. And we thought we were protected against warrantless search and seizures of our phone and computer data, too. How wrong were we? How long did it take to find out they were imaging our mail? Hint: This has been going on for years.

Don't discount something out of hand because some law says it can't be done. This administration proves over and over they only regard the laws and Constitution when it benefits them. Otherwise, it's useless paper.

That's all I am trying to say.

I don't understand why you thought laws that protected our phones and computers, the same laws that protect our mail, should contunue to protect our mail, but not our phones and computers? What sense does that make?

edit on 18-1-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Obama lied, that's all there is to it.

He didn't properly address the current failings, instead he defended the NSA and minimized peoples concerns.

His changes were vague, he gave no specifics as to what of the myriad of programs would be ended.

He provided no publicly accountable way to prove these things are taking place, only his word. The last time we had his word on domestic spying, it was that these programs didn't exist. Snowden proved otherwise so his word is worth nothing.

I want (as does the rest of the world) assurances and proof that the next time I buy a Seagate or Western Digital hard drive it doesn't come installed with malware and version of the firmware with an NSA backdoor.
edit on 18-1-2014 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2    4 >>

join