It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Breathtaking Photos Of The Northern Lights, Taken On A Scottish Island

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+44 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hi there peeps...

This was link from a local weather page that got sent to me this evening. Some absolutely stunning photos of the Northern Light on the Isle of Lewis, Scotland. Just happens to be the island I have been living on for the last 3 years...!!

Sadly I have yet to see this beautiful phenomena grace the skies and light up mine eyes... I do go out at night a fair bit. But whenever they are alleged to be incoming there is usually cloud cover...! Typical... Anyhoos methinks I will be on this little rock for a while longer. So I got my fingers crossed for an awesome light show one day...

These photographs were taken by Colin Cameron who also owns a fish shop in Stornoway which is the main town here. He has some talent with a camera though.. However these photos are from October last year..

Please enjoy the photos...!!

The article does not say much. But not much needs to be said...

Article

Colin's Website

Peace
Fluff

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Those are just stunning photos.

Breathtaking.

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
These are beautiful !
Tomorrow there should be a lot of northern lights as the sun´s bigger solar flare hits the earth and may be seen even southern than usually.

Thursday and northern lights

Also there is a space weather service
Auroras Now

I hope that sky is clear tomorrow and no snow is disturbing the show

edit on 15-1-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

Absolutely incredible photographs!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Absolutely stunning photographs!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

Aren't they just........!! Such beautifully delicate patterns in the sky. Although I can assure you there is nothing delicate about the skies up here...! Nature can be awesomely ferocious with us....!

Thank you for the links..

I use this one as it is in the UK:

Aurora Watch

However my partner and I have decided that their site is not localised enough so we are going to build our own magnetometer this year. using a Raspberry Pi...! We are quite excited. And that means if there is any activity in the skies above us we will know straight away...

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Superb photos

thanks for posting

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Glad you like them...!

Slightly off topic but you're no the real Big Yin are ye...? I once literally bumped into him as I was walking out of a local shop. Funny man...!

posted on Jan, 15 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

These photos are incredible! I am amazed.
I have always wanted to see the northern lights, but have never gotten far enough north to have a chance.
It's on my bucket list, but not sure it will happen.
Seeing Scotland is also on my bucket list, but alas, that likely won't happen either

So beautiful.

thanks

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Wow !
Thanks for sharing something GOOD!

God Loves Scotland, and so do I.

S&F

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
These photos are beautiful! And brightened my day like them skies thanks for sharing

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Lovely photos , but the first one is mesmerizing and def my fav. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Eh naw am no himsell naw. Am a lot better looking.

Would love to know how you get the cool effects tho ?

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Thank you for sharing!
We have yet to see any this year ourselves, it's been cloudy here too every night they were supposed to be good.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Lol...!

The effects in the northern lights photos...?

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Galadriel

Aw what is stopping you..? Is it finances, geographic location or (hopefully not) sickness..?

Well if you ever do decide to visit Lewis it will not fail to amaze you...!

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Aw shucks. Whereabouts in the world are you. If you do not mind me asking..!

They are very cool...

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
If beauty had a name it would whisper "Northern Lights"..crazy beautiful. I would love to visit Scotland and those pics make me long for a trip to visit your country. Reminds me a bit of up north where I grew up. Stark beauty beyond definition and amazing winter night skies. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I'm in Alaska.
I have seen some good shows since living up here too. The best was my first winter here about 20 years ago, I was up at 4 am to go deliver my paper route and the entire sky was lit up with every color of the rainbow. It was incredible.
Still to the this day it was the only time I have seen blue, red was on that list until last year when we happened to get a great show while on a long drive. We pulled over and watched that one for about 20 minutes, it was my son's first time to see them.

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by woodsmom

Wow I bet you get some super cool light shows up there...!
Bet your son loved it..

I have seen them where I used to live on mainland Scotland. 3 times I have seen the green curtain albeit faint. And up here on Lewis I have seen a tiny flickering curtain of white which did not last long...! Am hoping one day they give my eyes a proper feast...

<<   2 >>

join