It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ford Motors Exec: "we know what you're doing and when you're doing it".

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Ford Exec: 'We Know Everyone Who Breaks The Law' Thanks To Our GPS In Your Car.

Ford's Global VP/Marketing and Sales, Jim Farley, said something both sinister and obvious during a panel discussion about data privacy today at CES, the big electronics trade show in Las Vegas.

Because of the GPS units installed in Ford vehicles, Ford knows when many of its drivers are speeding, and where they are while they're doing it:

"We know everyone who breaks the law, we know when you're doing it. We have GPS in your car, so we know what you're doing. By the way, we don't supply that data to anyone," he told attendees.

By the way, I dont believe them. If the FBI or NSA came knocking at their door and asked for info on a certain driver, think they would supply it? I do.

Theres a possibility that they dont sell the info to marketing lists but you cant really be sure about that either.

Farley himself then walked back the statement, saying "I absolutely left the wrong impression about how Ford operates. We do not track our customers in their cars without their approval or consent."

When would one give their "approval" or "consent"?

Translation: theres probably a line somewhere in that incredibly long sales contract which says something like "you can choose not to share information with us by sending a written request to [insert address here]".

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

much like many contracts a person signs ,the devil is in the details ...Peace

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
If they don't supply the data to anyone, then what's the point of them knowing it?

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
At first, I thought maybe he was just talking about 'company cars' that the employees drive, that are enabled to be GPS tracked.

But his clarification seems to indicate that all of the cars that Ford makes are able to be tracked via GPS, or he would have stated otherwise regarding Ford customers.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It seems like this is normal for these days. That's why I'd just get an older vehicle and fix it up. I won't even consider a vehicle that has OnStar in it. I wonder if there's a way to disconnect the GPS? This is some serious invasion of privacy.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It's no surprise. Henry Ford did help finance Hitler and the Nazi Party.

Let's not forget the Bush family with their "Patriot Act" (pun intended?) and their ties with the Third Reich.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Ford to me used to mean Found On Road Dead but now I'm thinking something like FBI On Raw Data...jeez I mean how much more blatant can he be. They simply wouldn't waste the time to put in the ability for nothing...but until some Snowden type guy comes along and exposes it they will deny it till their blue in the face. I'm sure this gets used very often in busting people for all sorts of stuff...same as the cameras basically everywhere in our modern world. I just can't believe this wasn't already assumed. Since the birth of On Star type services you had to know they could listen and follow you anywhere. If most of us here know how easily they can and have been proven to be able to listen to you and follow you on your phone...why not a car or any other GPS enabled transmitting thing?

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

The statement by the CEO of Ford is misleading. GPS is essentially a radio receiver in your car. There is no transmitter unless you have a cell modem on board and it's enabled (i.e someoune is paying the monthly service fee).

Maybe the NSA has the back door to access and even to drive the car remotely, but IMO this isn't routine.

I'm sure they have some form of local data logging capability that could be downloaded when you go for an oil change but position, velocity and the state of the car systems don't seem to have much commercial exploitation value.

I could be misjudging that last part, but I'm going with "who cares?" for now.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

You could call it a friggin old recycled Dodge ...:>)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Actually not new or surprising.

Chevrolet has their Onstar, Subaru has their Homelink, etc.
All the big companies have their gps systems installed in cars. It has been around for decades now. They have the ability to kill your cars ignition, track it's movements, and unlock the doors. No big news here. Of course they can pull the data. What scares me is when will all the big insurance companies come and bribe them for the information to inflate their fees and monthly bills? That is coming, I can guarantee it.

Hey, you want out of the system, buy an older car and learn how to fix things.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

but position, velocity and the state of the car systems don't seem to have much commercial exploitation value.

I could be misjudging that last part, but I'm going with "who cares?" for now.

Event data Recorders.

black box in cars

been in some cars since 1997. You are really FAR BEHIND in this aspect.

And completely wrong in your assumption. The FBI and state police can determine fault after the car is at the junkyard or body shop.

Learned about this in 2002 as an insurance agent, yet back then some people thought I was crazy. the reason it is so hushed, is people will disconnect them if they knew!
edit on 13-1-2014 by HanzHenry because: bb

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

gladtobehere

When would one give their "approval" or "consent"?

To have people track their driving habits? When they want to lower their insurance rates.

Ask Progressive how that works.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

InverseLookingGlass

The statement by the CEO of Ford is misleading. GPS is essentially a radio receiver in your car. There is no transmitter unless you have a cell modem on board and it's enabled (i.e someoune is paying the monthly service fee).

I thought near all modern GPS in cars are transcievers, a mobile phone type set-up.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
this has been part of a plot line in many of the cop/detective/crime fighter/ shows on TV for years now. and it's been in movies on the big screen too. the trick is to find how to disable it, or at least put an on/off switch connected to it. the whole secret is to NOT have people track us, but, to agree to track ourselves......new smartphone anyone??

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is just going to be a huge push towards automated cars that do not require a human driver. As it is, multiple companies are already working on these. It was really started by Google.

THANKS Google. Do no evil my a#$.....

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Smart Cell phone anyone?

edit on 07131America/ChicagoMon, 13 Jan 2014 13:07:31 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

They have been sharing the info. He's lying. In accidents today they will pull the 'black box' data to recreate an accident you were in.The info is there and has and is being used.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Nothing new - they record the last 30 minutes of your driving for accident causation. I remember seeing an accident on TV a few years ago where a car was hit by a train and it was caught on tape by a security camera. A few days later they said the black box of the car logged that the teen was driving with XX speed and hitting the brakes at the moment of impact.

They probably also have a cell phone device that can be activated remotely - like Tesla did with their infamous test that ended up on a flatbed truck. I think if might be illegal to disable these systems just like it's probably illegal to disable the ODB devices.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

korath
If they don't supply the data to anyone, then what's the point of them knowing it?

If they can work out the speeds their customers want to drive at, they can build engines that will reach that speed more efficiently (sarcasm)...or some other similar BS like that.

Sounds like someone snatched away his shovel when they noticed the hole he was digging was reaching his neck.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Well he has not learned anything and is as naive as most people. They don't need to ask, they already have this data. This is hilarious lol. Listen, they have acres and acres of the most sophisticated and massive computer systems and cyber technology in the world. They could know what I am typing in real time.

That is only the tip of the iceberg. Think that crazy software program on TV that uses all tech and video to project things before they happen on steroids multiplied by ten fold. They can literally tap everything. It is much scarier than worrying that ford knows how fast you are going, lol.

The Bot

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join