It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Challenge of Baiting Anti-Christian and Similar Threads for Believers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
If one has to 'believe' in God then one does not actually 'know' what God is.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Well the bible contends that all the horror to accompany the end times will turn many to see the light.Many will not.Fatima,Lourdes and Medjugorje were meant for the non believers I feel as well as the predicted troubles to come.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such silly beliefs.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
Ignore it.

It doesn't need a counter point at all. Just ignore it. I know it is hard and I have failed on a handful of occasions myself... but that is my fault alone. It isn't the thread starter's fault that I couldn't resist the temptation to jump in. It is mine, because I am obviously lacking in self control if I cave into giving explanations THAT I KNOW, they already know.

Great points. Have done that more and more. May need to more, still.

There is nobody on this forum that does NOT know most of the basic beliefs of most Christians. So depending on the questions asked, and the particular topic... one can safely assume (99% of the time) that the thread starter is not genuinely curious, but simply looking to troll, stir the pot, poke with a stick, etc. people who believe in God . . . .

INDEED. THAT, I certainly agree with.

Though . . . I think, usually, the understanding so many have on the other side is quite shallow, cursory, glib, greatly flawed. Interestingly . . . even some who have evidently lived as a "Christian" and studied it extensively somehow end up sounding like they've never had more than a shallow EXPERIENCE of Christ. That's more than a little mystifying, puzzling.

I'm reminded of an adjunct prof at the college . . . recently retired from teaching at a local High School. Bright enough. Kind of a renegade aging hippy type. Baptist background. My perception is that he has some REAL SIZABLE INNER GRITCH . . . not sure how much of it is at God and how much of it is at "Christians" . . . though he likely still considers himself a Christian.

He's quite brittle. Particularly regarding any hint or anything he can imagine is a hint perceived to be challenging his authority, manhood etc. Yet he refuses to discuss what the issue even ostensibly is. He seems to have a serious double standard meme routinely operating as well. That's all obviously deeply and intensely tied to ATTACHMENT DISORDER issues--as most of our junk virtually always is.

I don't know of any way to bridge the gap with him. I thought I had . . . only to have him erupt over some unknown perceived slight that he refuses to talk about. He can be quite erratic . . . moving the goal posts, raising the bar . . . more or less refusing to have any serious dialogue which progresses from point "A" to point "K," so to speak. It's as though he has to remain awash in a kind of amorphous, fuzzy, impossible-to-define-or-describe chaos in order to feel "safe." THAT's how it often appears that many on the other side on ATS live and present themselves on such threads.

I do run across some who seem to ask questions out of genuine curiosity and those are generally the threads I will reply in.

True. Maybe I need to be more discerning and discriminating about replying mostly only to those sorts of posts and posters.

That's about all you can do... Both sides. You can see a thread started (for or against) and know right away what is coming down the pike.

INDEED.

Both sides need to ignore it. It does neither side any good and only seems to strengthen the stereotypes both sides have concerning each other.

A huge amount of that seems to be the status quo, alright.

Just walk away is about the best advice I could give. I wish there was a better solution but the fact remains that fault lies on both sides and until both sides quit falling for any excuse to jump into the frenzy.... we are just adding fuel to the fire.

A reasonable exhortation, for sure.

I'm not convinced that the average Believer is AS guilty of such as the average fierce hostile sort is. I think there's a definite skewed graph on the other side with the 'average fierce hostile' being quite typically GREATLY ROUTINELY given to going after the jugular, the genitals, the heart of virtually any Christian that DARES to appear on their baiting thread. I don't see any Christians behaving THAT way--certainly not to THAT degree.

imho.

Thanks for your thought-provoking post. Worth pondering.

Blessings,

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Without the prickles there could be no goo.
The bait threads are the ignorance that just has to be denied.
Without them what would happen on ATS?

edit on 11-1-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

ccseagull
Dear Bio Xian - anytime I start to get upset or feel attacked I try to think how Jesus would behave. He's all about love and that's how I try to live my life. That doesn't mean I have to be open to abuse.

INDEED. . . . . keeping in mind . . . that He also used a verbal 2 X 4 whack upside the head of the Pharisees as an applied example of "tough love." LOL.

And very few of the so whacked are likely to label the 2 X 4 as a tool of love. LOL.

Basically I remind myself I can't explain my beliefs to the point of understanding to others who aren't genuinely interested and/or open to having an open mind about our beliefs. I do not comprehend why so many attackers and those who are so hateful towards Christianity have to come onto the Christian threads.

ABSOLUTELY INDEED. The "poking-a-sleeping-bear-with-a-sharp-stick" / moth-to-the-flame compulsion is interesting psychologically and sociologically. It long ago ceased being a lot of fun but it's moderately interesting, still.

I don't know that there's much that can be done to achieve any genuine dialogue with the hard core folks like that. They really are NOT INTERESTED in DIALOGUE. They only want to spew prickly, poisonous, irascible, unmollifiable, uncalmable virulent venom and outrage . . . no doubt fostered from the expanding puss pockets of hurt and rage within.

But then again I do like to think that the topics they attack may reveal God's existence at some time in their future lives - and that there is still hope of them coming to God.

I'm certain that's true for a percentage. What size a percentage I have little clue of.

I'm certain that Holy Spirit will use the words of many of us to haunt the inner landscape of such folks off and on . . . perhaps relentlessly at some point . . . giving every opportunity for enlightenment to occur while there's still time.

And after the opportunities close . . . said 'haunting' will take on a different character, imho.

I also have to remind myself that Satan is working all out to deceive all people and we should be gentle and answer those who have questions.

I agree, in terms of those who genuinely have questions and who are genuinely interested in and willing to actively listen to and consider reasoned responses.

Those that are just baiting and always asking why, why, why who I realize aren't really interested in any answers and just stirring the pot - I just let them carry on and eventually keep quiet. I do feel sorry for them because I do get the feeling they are wanting a magic answer, that maybe they want the answers but just are too afraid to admit to it, or don't want to hear how it is, but they want something that lets them off the hook - but God doesn't fit into our ideas, we fit into His. My heart goes out to them.

INDEED. INDEED on all counts.

In my heart I fear for those who are so anti-Christian and those who really don't know any better as the end times are coming and they will be beyond any human comprehension of how bad it really will be. So in the end I pray for them.

INDEED.

I think of it akin to those who cried CRUCIFY HIM! CRUCIFY HIM! . . . and then they saw the hours of darkness in mid-day . . . and experienced the earthquake . . . and then saw the Resurrection . . . what they must have felt about their earlier cries of CRUCIFY HIM!

I really enjoy your posts and comments in threads.

THX TONS for your kind comment. I feel like I do such a flawed job of it. But then, anything lastingly good isn't originated within our carnal skills anyway, is it.

Much appreciate your contribution(s).

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Its all good practice for when defending the faith to people who aren't so bitter or completely crazy with their theories as to who/what Jesus was or said and did.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

ABSOLUTELY INDEED ON ALL COUNTS.

Increasingly, it seems to me . . . every moment of every day HAS to be wrapped in prayer . . . not just for decent functioning . . . but more and more for sheer survival.

And, yeah, standing up and being counted is essential. Cowards are slated to end up on the eternal trash heap along with the rebellious.

I do NOT want to 'go there!'

Thx for your kind comments.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by rupertg

I don't know who Bill Hicks is . . . however . . .

Forgiveness IS always in order and crucial.

. . . for those who want to be forgiven, for sure.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
for all of you constant religious whiners...it's not what you believe, nobody cares. it's what religious people have tried to do with that belief. go to your churches, pray and sing, speak in tongues, go through all the rituals you want. that is not the point, and most of you know that already.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

I will participate in a thread as long as I feel I can contribute in some way, when it becomes apparent that the conversation has become un-productive I bow out.

Some threads are blatant trolling, and the old rule of Don't feed the trolls applies.

But most of all, "christian" baiting, should for all intents and purposes be fruitless, things like Turn the other cheek, loving your enemy, scoffers and mockers, redemption drawing near, terms and references that should be known to "Christians" that pretty much sums up the Christian response to such things.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Cinrad
Its all good practice for when defending the faith to people who aren't so bitter or completely crazy with their theories as to who/what Jesus was or said and did.

why would you have to..."defend the faith"?? either you have the "faith" or you don't...no one can take it from you, there is nothing to defend. and if it is "faith"...why would you call the people that question it "bitter and completely crazy"...you obviously don't have any knowledge of that, you simply want to separate them into something less human, and therefore easier to condemn....it's called propaganda 101.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Every mortal learns wisdom at their own pace.

One piece of advice for Christians: only guide non-believers twice. If the person is still resilient after the second try, back off and leave them to learn at their pace as they see this world dropping off a cliff.

1) Use recent events (Fukushima) as a high probability connection to a prediction in the Book of Revelation and elsewhere.

2) Use political events, made by atheists to create the NWO like the 10 Supernations and NAFTA. Ask them, 'why would non-believers obey a book they either don't believe in or hate?'

3) Recently, more Americans believe in aliens than Jesus Christ and they wonder why since the last Inauguration Day their country has gone to hell.

4) As for the trolls; they are programmed to be stupid just like Lucifer is programmed to be a rebel yet he is down here, somewhere on earth ready to pull the strings of his anti-christ after world war 3. And he has the ignorance to class himself as a rebel. LOL. Oh what a laugh.

5) i agree with you totally after seeing the recent 'Jesus is Lucifer' and 'God = Devil' blah blah blah threads recently. What the OP's don't know is that the demons watching them are going to make their lives a living hell for eternity. Justice.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
When both sides become comparativists these baiting threads won't be a problem. EVERYONE should be a comparativist.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

jimmyx

Cinrad

why would you have to..."defend the faith"?? either you have the "faith" or you don't...no one can take it from you, there is nothing to defend. and if it is "faith"...why would you call the people that question it "bitter and completely crazy"...you obviously don't have any knowledge of that, you simply want to separate them into something less human, and therefore easier to condemn....it's called propaganda 101.

There are posters on this site that use any excuse to bash Christianity. That is why I call these people bitter, they go out of their way, over and above what is normal in debating topics to bash Christianity. There are some threads on here about Christianity that don't take any logical or scholarly approach and are so incoherent with facts that I call them completely crazy. It is not I who have to defend my faith to myself but according to Peter: "But have reverence for Christ in your hearts, and honor him as Lord. Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to explain the hope you have in you, but do it with gentleness and respect. Keep your conscience clear, so that when you are insulted, those who speak evil of your good conduct as followers of Christ will become ashamed of what they say." 1Peter 3:15,16

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

so why would a member here on ATS even bring the subject of religion. you should know by now the very nature of ATS members is that they are extremely skeptical. here, you will always have people that disagree with "religious faith"...why?...because of it's centuries old history of deadly abuses by the very leaders that embrace it. the act of lying and providing false information is NOT restricted to non-believers....trust must be earned, not demanded.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Hey Bo Xian- Thanks for posting this.

I must say, I do believe there are 2 sides to this. I think There are those who don't adhere to Christianity at all who are still mindful enough to not be disrespectful, rude, condescending etc... But we're always going to deal with some who truly enjoy piling on, and saving their most intense anger spilled rants for Christians who come on here and spread the gospel.

Like some posters were alluding too, I can fully understand that the gate swings both ways. And sometimes those who don't believe feel attacked by Christians who don't truly respect that we're all individuals.
That being said there are some who love to simply twist it around and make Christians out to look like the domestic terrorists, bigots etc.. simply because they take a stand against homosexuality, abortions etc...

I think you alluded to something key in your post here. There's a difference between a fair-weather Christian who gives us all a bad name, and doesn't truly care about people, v.s an AUTHENTIC Christian who seeks only to model their lives after Jesus Christ. I can honestly say I've taken some serious flack already, and I'm only new to this site.

And while it's discouraging to feel persecuted we can never forget that Jesus promised us this would happen. So we need to dig down deep even when it's hard and thank God because that means we're doing something right.

when we truly should be afraid is when everyone loves us and enjoys every word we say. That's normally a sign that somewhere in our lives we're compromising and becoming friends of the world. Something Christ explicitly warns us against.

I understand religion is a very sensitive topic, the word "God " in itself is by far the most controversial topic in the world and that's no coincidence either. Its because deep down we all know that there's a great possibility God exists, as Christian we fully believe it. Only words that have significance for our entire lives and it's meaning can generate such strong emotion whether for it or against it.
If this were not the case, we could simply laugh it off and not debate it. But the very fact that the Conspiracies in Religions section, and extreme curiosity as to the nature of Jesus Christ, the Old Testament stories and their validity, the end times NWO emergence are all heating up to a peak is definitely a sign of the times.

I think some other posters have hinted at this, what's concerning isn't the criticism, accusations etc... It's the fact that all of these posts are probably being catalogued by the NSA, among many other databases and those who stand for the truth are going to be targets. it's about Courage at the end of the day, regardless of what backlash we face. We're called to stand strong for the faith and persevere to the end
edit on 11-1-2014 by freedom7 because: fixed a word

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Hey JimmyX you said here

"so why would a member here on ATS even bring the subject of religion. you should know by now the very nature of ATS members is that they are extremely skeptical. "

You have to keep in mind that we feel beyond compelled to preach the gospel because once you give your life to the Lord Jesus Christ you have a new spirit in you that tries to become Christ like. So the more we grow to love God the more we find ourselves uncontrollably wanting to spread the good news, to speak the truth to all, and to love unconditionally.

It doesn't matter that many ATS members are sketpical. That's the defining point between having a relationship with God and having his holy spirit in you, v.s following a bland religion full of rules. it's spirit v.s flesh.

The flesh will always give up and seek to satisfy it's own pleasures and stay comfortable, complacent and not spread the word. The new spirit in you comes from God, and because God loves all of humanity and will stop at nothing to spread the truth to the ENTIRE world, you do the same. It just flows naturally because the spirit is willing.

You can't ever forget many of us Christians were once so skeptical too! We've seen we serve a God that breaks down the strongest foundations of stubbornness, pride, confusion, resistance . We serve a God that accomplishes impossible feats, so we are not fazed by skepticism. We understand it's a by product of being a human being, but the light will reveal all in the end.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

BO XIAN
in an average week, there are 3-5 or so brazenly baiting hostile to Christians/Christianity threads posted.

What criteria do you use to determine what is a 'brazenly baiting hostile to Christians' thread?

This is a conspiracy site and therefore people aren't going to take things at face value just because we believe in them. If FACTS can prove a belief wrong, then it's not a 'baiting' thread. Example - Facts prove Noahs Ark didn't happen. A thread about that isn't a 'baiting' thread, it's just a fact thread. The whole point of ATS is to bring out facts that debunk conspiracies and false information.

I've said it before but I'll say it again .. I've participated at perhaps 3 or 4 other chat sites. The Off Topic Religion forum always causes problems. It's better not to have them. People just get into scripture spitting contests and name calling. They always bring out the worst in people.

The 'Conspiracy in Religion' forum should stay. It fits the theme of this site. But the other one should end - IMHO.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   

DISRAELI
It could be argued that the common use of baiting tactics in reigious discussion is a conspiracy.

edit on 11-1-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

While it's true that baiting tactics can be very annoying, this is still the "Conspiracies in Religions" section.

This is the probably the best place to find people who are hostile to the idea of religions.

I'm just blessed that my set of beliefs isn't so radically different from cutting-edge science so it's nearly impossible to be baited.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join