It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scale Of Universe Revealed In New Ultraprecise Galaxy Map

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

spav5

Why field? How do I know when I am in that field? Or not n that field?

I don't know you are the one saying that it is not contained in anything...please tell me one other thing that fits this property?

Peace
edit on 10-1-2014 by spav5 because: (no reason given)

Here is some information about the term "field" used in physics and what it entails.

en.wikipedia.org...(physics)

Space is literally all that exists.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Haxsaw

don't compare any number to infinity, it is UNKNOWN

By saying it's unknown you have actually compared it to normal numbers by insinuating that it has an exact value like any normal number. You can easily imagine infinity by thinking about our number system... it goes on forever, there is no such thing as the largest number because you can always add one to get a larger number. So one can say that the amount of numbers in our number system is infinite. They go on forever, there is no end to them, and that is a much better definition of infinity than the definition you supplied.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

paradox

spav5

Why field? How do I know when I am in that field? Or not n that field?

I don't know you are the one saying that it is not contained in anything...please tell me one other thing that fits this property?

Peace

Here is some information about the term "field" used in physics and what it entails.

en.wikipedia.org...(physics)

Space is literally all that exists.

If you can't explain it to me then you obviously do not understand it. Just field..just define field..does it not have an edge..does not field imply that it stops at some point? If it stops..and when you use the word field it does have an end or why even place that parameter on it.. otherwise it would just be energy..not energy field correct?.

Now what is on the other side of that (energy)field?

That is what I want you to answer now.

If you say nothing..then I want to know how you came to that conclusion.

Peace

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

DeadSeraph

neo96
Seems to me when the universe is constantly expanding 'infinite' seems to be correct.

When everything is constantly in motion rather hard to 'quantify' it.

Right ?

But if it's expanding then it has to have an "end" to expand into, doesn't it?
Infinitely expanding?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Can you add something to everything? no it already has EVERYTHING for crying out loud

Infinity does not necessarily contain everything, it contains an endless amount of something.

We can sometimes use infinity like it is a number, but infinity does not behave like a real number.

To help you understand, think "endless" whenever you see the infinity symbol "∞":

For example: ∞ + 1 = ∞

Which says that infinity plus one is still equal to infinity.

If something is already endless, you can add 1 and it will still be endless.

www.mathsisfun.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

rubbish, if we are talking about infinity in regards to numbers, then yes it already has every number, you cant add a number to it, doing so would be pointless, and proven by your pointless exercise of attempting to add 1 to infinity, did it change its value after you attempted to add this number to it? no, because you simply cannot add 1 to infinity, don't tell me what your calculator told you lol, use your brain.

I don't see how you cant get your head around the fact that you CANNOT add anything to infinity, trying to add anything to infinity would imply that you believe that it is finite and has 'room' for more. Pretty simple really
edit on 10-1-2014 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2014 by Haxsaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   

ChaoticOrder

Can you add something to everything? no it already has EVERYTHING for crying out loud

Infinity does not necessarily contain everything, it contains an endless amount of something.

We can sometimes use infinity like it is a number, but infinity does not behave like a real number.

To help you understand, think "endless" whenever you see the infinity symbol "∞":

For example: ∞ + 1 = ∞

Which says that infinity plus one is still equal to infinity.

If something is already endless, you can add 1 and it will still be endless.

www.mathsisfun.com...

if infinity meant endless then they would just say endless..but endless implies a beginning and infinity does not.

If I use a compass (geometry compass
) and turn one revolution we can all think of it as a circle..but we know that it is not really a circle.

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Haxsaw

did it change its value after you attempted to add this number to it? no, because you simply cannot add 1 to infinity, don't tell me what your calculator told you lol, use your brain.

Dude, this is solid mathematics with a long history of theory and proofs behind it. This is not what my calculator says, this is what mathematicians say. If you tried using your brain you would see that it's completely valid. Just because it's a weird and unintuitive concept, doesn't mean it isn't true.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   

neo96
reply to post by spav5

Whatever.

I really have to laugh at people saying space is finite, or has an 'end'.

Sounds like people of yesteryear saying the Earth is flat.

ETA:

The universe was around long,long,long before people.
edit on 10-1-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

dude, I don't care what a mathematician says if they are wrong, I try to use my own brain to think not someone else's. And when "infinity" is defined by the Oxford dictionary as "Mathematics: a number greater than any assignable quantity or countable number", then to add any number to this would be an oxymoron. Like I said you cant add something to everything.

If you chose to ignore the definition of infinity and twist its definition to meaning: "a number greater than any assignable quantity, but a number that you can add to for no reason whatsoever, except to try and erroneously prove that I can add something to it", and not see the error in this all because some mathematician told you this was correct, then you're beyond repair, sorry about that.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Haxsaw

I try to use my own brain to think not someone else's

And I would encourage that, but in this case your own conclusions are wrong.

And when "infinity" is defined by the Oxford dictionary as

If that definition was from the Oxford dictionary then they really need to consult a professional mathematician for their next update. Instead of learning about math from a dictionary, go to an actual professional mathematics website and read about infinity. It is most correctly defined not as a number, but as an idea or concept which means an "endless" quantity. Infinity is not a normal number and it doesn't have an exact value as the Oxford definition would imply.

Like I said you cant add something to everything.

Infinity does not mean "everything", it simply means something which is endless. If you have a pool and it has an endless amount of water in it, then adding more water to that pool is not going to change the fact it has an endless amount of water in it. It's as simple as that.
edit on 10/1/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

there is no "other side" to space. It is stretching evenly in all directions. How could anything but space possibly exist? Can you give me an example of "not space?"
edit on 1-10-14 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

paradox
reply to post by spav5

there is no "other side" to space. It is stretching evenly in all directions. How could anything but space possibly exist? Can you give me an example of "not space?"

I am not the one claiming to know..you are.

JAK

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Here's a little something which may be of interest:

The Infinite Monkey Cage

Snippet: 'Infinity is not a number. It's a concept'

Duration: 01:29

Comedy producer John Lloyd, writer Simon Singh and presenter Brian Cox debate the meaning of infinity. And Robin Ince makes a joke.

Full programme:

To Infinity and Beyond

This week on the Infinite Monkey Cage, Brian Cox and Robin Ince are joined by comedy producer John Lloyd, mathematician Colva Roney Dougal and writer Simon Singh, to explore the universality of mathematics, the nature of infinity and the role of numbers in everyday life.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

I am simply stating the current understanding of our universe. If you are disagreeing with the standard theories of cosmology and physics then you have bigger fish to fry than me!

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   

paradox
reply to post by spav5

I am simply stating the current understanding of our universe. If you are disagreeing with the standard theories of cosmology and physics then you have bigger fish to fry than me!

And what are those standard theories of cosmology? You say it is expanding but not into anything. That is a concept that I cannot understand and you have not explained it to me. Perhaps you do not understand either?

Peace

I am not trying to be a smart ass...I wrote my beliefs that I cannot support. The Universe is one dimensional. How ever it appears I cannot explain either. But a point is the only way I can bring my brain to wrap around either the concept of a finite universe that has an end(but what causes it to end/what is then there/how do I know where it ends etc.) or the concept that it is infinite..which if you even think that your brain can wrap around that one then you are delusional. So many paradoxes with that I can't even deal them..lol.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by paradox

The ironic part of all this is that not too long ago spav5 would have been the one arguing mainstream concepts, because we used to think that space-time was finite and that it was created during the big bang. For a long time people were taught that the universe was like some sort of finite bubble of space-time floating within some sort of "void", and it was a bubble which was expanding. Now that has completely reversed and the most popular theories say that space-time is actually infinite, and that has caused and endless amount of confusion among people, especially when it comes to understanding how infinite space could expand. I admit I had a very hard time accepting the idea that something infinite could expand, but there really isn't much of a way around it. We know without a doubt that space between the galaxies is expanding, and we are now quite certain that space-time is flat and infinite, so some how those two observations must be compatible with each other.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

ChaoticOrder
This is not the only research which suggests the universe is flat and infinite. There are many good reasons for why it must be infinite and many different lines of research which have reached this exact same conclusion:

Although the shape of the universe is still a matter of debate in physical cosmology, based on the recent Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) measurements "We now know that the universe is flat with only a 0.4% margin of error", according to NASA scientists.
---
The model most theorists currently use is the so-called Friedmann–Lemaître–Robertson–Walker (FLRW) model. According to cosmologists, on this model the observational data best fit with the conclusion that the shape of the universe is infinite and flat

en.wikipedia.org...

Very interesting yet funny observation.

Our own galaxy 'milky way' has most stars in its 'spiral' or disk shape, but actually it is egg shape, and the rest of the space is also filled with star clusters.

The egg is a very common occurrence in nature, and the Sanskrit word for Universe is "Brahmand" or 'egg of God'.

Since galaxies appear in every direction in the space surrounding earth, and span considerable depth, it is unlikely that Universe is flat.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

Since galaxies appear in every direction in the space surrounding earth, and span considerable depth, it is unlikely that Universe is flat.

They don't mean flat in a 2D sense, it means that space-time is not curved. In a finite universe space-time must be curved because it will eventually loop back in on its self to form a closed finite space-time, so if you looked far enough you would eventually see the back of your own head because light would follow the curvature of space-time and come back to where it started. In infinite space it just goes on for infinity in all directions and so it has no curvature (on average), so we say that it is "flat".
edit on 10/1/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by spav5

I definitely see what you're saying and it is extremely hard to attempt to comprehend these theories, most likely impossible even, even down to the quantum level with understanding things like superposition. But this is what all the data has pointed to, and so it is what it is. With every answer comes 10 more questions. A very strange universe indeed.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join