It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will be the outcome for the 4 people who take the one way trip to mars?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by flipflop

I afraid that their death will set back future manned missions for a long time, alas. Until AI (HAL-9000)) is online.
2nd line, folks)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   

JadeStar

As for Enceladus, the only way to get there fast would be a nuclear or fusion plasma rocket.

Fusion pusle? That if you got working it would get you anywere pretty fast.

But yeah chems wont get you there that for sure

edit on 10-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

link   
Mars One might not happen but humans will eventually make it to Mars. You can bank on it.
edit on 10-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

link   

darkorange

I afraid that their death will set back future manned missions for a long time, alas. Until AI (HAL-9000)) is online.
2nd line, folks)

I doubt it.

We've already had a bunch of people die since the beginning of the Space Age. The Apollo fire, two shuttle tragedies, the Soviet/Russian deaths.

It hasn't stopped us has it? There are still plans for human deep space exploration.

People forget that many people NEVER made it across the Atlantic Ocean. Ships lost at sea. Attacked by pirates, etc.

Same with early air travel. How many plane crashes happened in the early years of aviation? Do you know? Nope. You hear only of the successes now, not the failures.

Space will be the same way. But we won't stop.

Can't stop. Won't stop.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

crazyewok

JadeStar

As for Enceladus, the only way to get there fast would be a nuclear or fusion plasma rocket.

Fusion pusle? That if you got working it would get you anywere pretty fast.

But yeah chems wont get you there that for sure

edit on 10-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

Yes. Fusion rockets are easier to make than fusion as an energy source but slightly harder to make than a fusion bomb (h-bomb).

And there are people working on them:

Space.com: Quick Fusion-Powered Trips to Mars No Fantasy, Scientists Say

Space.com NASA Eyeing Nuclear Fusion Rockets for Future Space Exploration

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Yeah without the fission stage you need to think of another big energy source to get it going. But yeah seeing as people are able to ignite deuterium with laser in there garage I cant see a major problem to pulse fusion, being pulse your not sustaining the fusion like the energy researchers are. More of a pain than fission nuclear pulse propulsion but not impossible.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
One waty trip means .... just that. One Way.
They will all die on Mars...period.

What was the question?

Did you mean what will they die of/from?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

JadeStar

darkorange

2nd line, folks)

I doubt it.

We've already had a bunch of people die since the beginning of the Space Age. The Apollo fire, two shuttle tragedies, the Soviet/Russian deaths.

It hasn't stopped us has it? There are still plans for human deep space exploration.

People forget that many people NEVER made it across the Atlantic Ocean. Ships lost at sea. Attacked by pirates, etc.

Same with early air travel. How many plane crashes happened in the early years of aviation? Do you know? Nope. You hear only of the successes now, not the failures.

Can't stop. Won't stop.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Every man takes the limits of his field of vision for the limits of the world
-- Arthur Schopenhauer

What I see here is a lack of vision, a lack of enthusiasm, a lack of will, and a pessimism that is truly stifling to the human spirit. I want to shake these people by the shoulders and ask, "WTF is WRONG with you? WTF is your problem?" If you are 'too frightened of your own shadow,' then stay home, but at least let those with the enthusiasm and drive pursue their dreams.

You remind of the people left on shore when Columbus sailed. "It's a fool's errand!" they yelled. "You'll run out of food!" they proclaimed. "You'll fall off the edge!" they stated with the sure knowledge of a flat Earth.

Or to bring it to more contemporary times, when the two Steves (Jobs and Wozniak) attempted to build the Apple computer, they were told that there was no market, that people were too stupid to use one, and that investment in such a scheme was foolhardy.

Don't you people ever learn? Your objections are most often downright silly and yes, they show you don't know what you are talking about. But moreover, they draw from the irrelevant past. Just because the Space Shuttle was expensive to build and maintain does not mean that free from the shackles of a bloated government that private enterprise can't do better. Indeed, it's a given that they can.

And as far as death is concerned, what would you rather do? Die in an attempt to get to Mars, or die while you're there, or die nodding off in a nursing home surrounded by hospice care, and leaving behind a geriatric cat?

You pessimists here are the kind of people you never want to have in a forward-thinking company. You simply do not have the entrepreneurial spirit. You are content moving through the ranges and steps of civil service employment for forty years assuming that nice fat pension will be at the end to see you to your grave. About the only thing you can say about that approach is that you have served as a useful example to others on how not to model their lives.

Either lead, or follow, or get out of the way.

edit on 1/10/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

darkorange

JadeStar

darkorange

2nd line, folks)

I doubt it.

Can't stop. Won't stop.

I did not say it will stop manned missions. I said it will set them back. Can you imagine public outcry when bad news comes soon after wards and reasons named?

Of course, if fatal case reason is getting close to the riff edge or neglecting to put helmet before getting out of the habitat is one thing, getting radiation poisoning mid fly is another. Which one will put set back?

Sure we will get there but one way trip is like bad reality show, or they have everything planned out to the detail and its simply a public stunt to get everyone involved.

Thank you.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I would soooo go on this, except they wont take me for legal reasons.
BUT if they would, all I'd want is a flyer or something to glide over to Cydonia and check it out

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   

HomerinNC
BUT if they would, all I'd want is a flyer or something to glide over to Cydonia and check it out

Then what?

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

simple: dig up the ruins

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

HomerinNC
reply to post by Blue Shift

simple: dig up the ruins

I'm thinking explore the caves in the Mariner Valley. If life has retreated from the harsh surface conditions, that's where it is at. I trust they will take a set of locksmith's tools. An explorer with imagination does not have to ask, "Then what?" There are too many possibilities as it is.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

crazyewok
reply to post by JadeStar

Yeah without the fission stage you need to think of another big energy source to get it going. But yeah seeing as people are able to ignite deuterium with laser in there garage I cant see a major problem to pulse fusion, being pulse your not sustaining the fusion like the energy researchers are. More of a pain than fission nuclear pulse propulsion but not impossible.

Exactly. Fusion pulse is a now technology where as fusion energy is a future technology. I don't know anyone who is igniting deuterium with lasers in their garage but if they are, more power to them!

I do know people with homemade wet labs in their kitchens doing their own genetic engineering/sequencing.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

HomerinNC

Something like this perhaps?

NASA's Ares
marsairplane.larc.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

JadeStar

Like I said, these problems have been studied relentlessly for ages. A lot of study goes on at NASA Ames, who by the way.....

*shrug* We designed the STS ground imaging server under a contract to MSFC. The Russians got two of them and wanted to use it for the Mir main computer but the State Department had a kitty.

It's not my first rodeo either.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Blue Shift

HomerinNC

Then what?

One could spend the rest of their life exploring Valles Marineris. It's a canyon 2,500 miles (4,000 kilometers) long whose beauty is beyond belief. It makes the Grand Canyon look 'meh' in comparison. At some points, the canyon is 125 miles (200 km) wide. Regions can reach depths of 6 miles (10 km). If the system were located on Earth, it would stretch across the United States, from Los Angeles to the Atlantic coast.

Like the Grand Canyon it was carved by rushing water.

If one wants to go fossil hunting, that's a great place. We will probably never send a robotic rover or lander there because the terrain is too dangerous.

It awaits only human explorers.

But you know.... according to you Exopalentology can wait i guess.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Bedlam

JadeStar

Like I said, these problems have been studied relentlessly for ages. A lot of study goes on at NASA Ames, who by the way.....

*shrug* We designed the STS ground imaging server under a contract to MSFC. The Russians got two of them and wanted to use it for the Mir main computer but the State Department had a kitty.

It's not my first rodeo either.

Cool. I'm just a student. An undergrad at that. That's awesome.

indeed.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

JadeStar

Blue Shift

HomerinNC

Then what?

One could spend the rest of their life exploring Valles Marineris. It's a canyon 2,500 miles (4,000 kilometers) long whose beauty is beyond belief. It makes the Grand Canyon look 'meh' in comparison. [...]

I like to think I have a typical reaction to seeing the Grand Canyon.
"Sure is big and colorful! Time to go!"

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join