It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What topics do you want to see, ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I like Beezer's idea of a think tank, specifically one that deals with utopian concepts. We should have an entire forum dedicated to making the world a better place.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

beezzer

WhiteAlice
reply to post by beezzer

Ooooo, a think tank/brainstorming forum would be awesome. "No idea is stupid or to be called stupid, devil's advocacy encouraged, rapid fire creative idea generation, no judging until idea generation is over" type of thing. I like it.

I was thinking something very non partisan. A look at Point A, and Point B. And how to get there.

Yep. That would be critical. An active watching for the presence of cognitive bias in oneself would be absolutely fundamental, especially in regards to political issues. Frequently those are the threads that tend to get really bogged down with finger pointing at who did what instead of problem identification/solving.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The past few days there have been image threads that have been enjoyable enough that I have shared them with others. The rainbow mountains, the glass microbes, and the most dangerous path...all were outstanding to see.

Real life hacks. That is something everyone can use. Like, on a soda can....the tab, when turned, becomes a straw holder. Mundane? yes....but interesting nonetheless.

A movement to dig out news stories when we have big old fake fluff ups like the Duck Dynasty thing. What gets buried?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Or maybe even a sub forum for celebrity related news that one has to visit instead of it being on the front page the moment that one logs in? One of my biggest complaints about major media is the urgency and import given to celebrity news. When I first arrived on ATS, I was so relieved because there wasn't any of that and people actually dug up great stories. ATS was my favorite news aggregator. Now I might as well hit up facebook or CNN because I'll see similar content.

Some people might find what a celeb does or thinks important and I'm a 1st Amendment kind of girl. However, it seems to me that there have been a lot of complaints about the quality deteriorating, which frequently do seem to reference those kind of threads. The above idea would contain it for those that want to get their digs on the latest celeb dumb-dumb move while restoring ATS to what its previous incarnation.

Just a thought. Don't hurt me.

edit on 7/1/14 by WhiteAlice because: i'll just blame my keyboard. curse you, keyboard, for failing me!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Personally I'd like to see a forum for old conspiracies. Ones that have obviously been discussed in the past but may warrant new discussion as maybe some of us just discovered them.

I see a great deal of threads start with "did a search, found nothing"....
This isnt the one in particular I was looking for but good examples of things I'm sure have been discussed

mysteriousuniverse.org...

I was thinking more of a story of a mobster, interned in a vatican cemetery, with a girls body

I like the social aspects of the site, the religious not so much, but new members may not know of the datslov (sp) pass incident and shutting down a new thread of any real life incident because it has been discussed???

just my 2 cents

Oh and if I had my way, I'd keep it to real incidents, not hypotheticals...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

Or maybe even a sub forum for celebrity related news that one has to visit instead of it being on the front page the moment that one logs in? One of my biggest complaints about major media is the urgency and import given to celebrity news. When I first arrived on ATS, I was so relieved because there wasn't any of that and people actually dug up great stories. ATS was my favorite news aggregator. Now I might as well hit up facebook or CNN because I'll see similar content.

Some people might find what a celeb does or thinks important and I'm a 1st Amendment kind of girl. However, it seems to me that there have been a lot of complaints about the quality deteriorating, which frequently do seem to reference those kind of threads. The above idea would contain it for those that want to get their digs on the latest celeb dumb-dumb move while restoring ATS to what its previous incarnation.

edit on 7/1/14 by WhiteAlice because: i'll just blame my keyboard. curse you, keyboard, for failing me!

This is actually a good idea. Not sure how you would parse a news article posted in Chit Chat from one posted in BAN (which should be pushed to the front page....BAN is a big part of the ATS persona).

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Have you looked at the new page recently?
They obviously have not read this thread...Shhhh!
As we can see, the poster put it in People subcategory (makes sense) and it's now on the "new" page--for better or worse. It's almost cognitive dissonance generating sometimes to see some thread titles on some really serious subjects like right now United Prison States of America, 160 year old documents being destroyed and two headed whales and Honey Boo Boo smack in the middle of them.

I miss the prevalence of BAN, too.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

intrepid
I can tell you what I DON'T want. Any more guns, gay rights, abortion and religion.

I still wish ATS would close the off topic religion forum.
No good ever comes from religious sections in on-line chat forums.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

WhiteAlice

I quite agree. Anything celebrity should be banned...unless it has to do with aliens of course.

Duck Dynasty, Honey Boo-Boo, the Kardasions (need I say more), etc. etc, can all burn for all I care. Those mindless topics and those that follow them have no place here as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

A good show could be Honey Nirubu!

Sheriff Bunny, always on patrol.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Like everyone else here, I want to know about things that I am not supposed to know about.

Since ATS has just about everything covered, the things that interest me the most are UFOlogy, the paranormal and anything that casts light on the Banksters grip on global power. I also like those little golden nuggets that slip through the ATS cracks before they are quickly 404'd

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
And in keep with Intrepids very cool post...........

I'd really love to see more threads about Obama and how awesome the American Government is / is not - especially in the lead up to US elections.

There is just not enough media attention and coverage discussion about Democrats and Republicans and which party is better at saving America from the evils of the other party.

/sarc.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I enjoy browsing through the headlines. I don't have time to research and write deep, provocative content, whether 2 or 2000 would read it. Not lazy, just no time really. I write for a living so writing gets tiresome for me sometimes.

Anyhoo, I find Search to be impossible. I also find the organization of content, while it kind of makes sense, means that really good threads can get lost.

Anyone can make a thread about anything almost, at any time. So many seem like "look at me!" or "I'm first with 'breaking' news from the mainstream media!" or "I'm sitting in my basement at my mother's house thinking weird thoughts and just had to share."

I do enjoy some of the fun, light, fluffy stuff. If people on ATS want to talk amongst themselves about food, relationships, pets, pretty pics, jokes, etc. -- that's cool. But it feels as if they are weighted the same as very serious topics and researched ideas/theories.

It almost feels like some threads could have a "time limit" on them, so they are either "archived" or disappear. Like the Honey Boo Boo thread. Does it really need to be searchable five years from now?

As for topics, I really like hearing people's real life "encounters" with the paranormal, time shifts/jumps, just weird stuff that happens that you can't tell your coworkers or neighbors about because they'll think you are mad as a hatter, so you bring them to the ATS family and get some support, questions, similar anecdotes, some healthy skepticism, and maybe some who believe you and shore you up.

I also like to read about the very real state of the world. Healthy, respective discussion and dialogue would be nice...rather than silly what if posts that seem to be someone's late night beer musings...rather than posts that are "here's my opinion which is by the way the gospel truth." Dialogue is constructive, inclusive, and by the end, those who participated and those who "observed on the sidelines" have grown, expanded, and learned some things.

Respectful dialogue. Agree to disagree, but don't belabor the point of your differences. Add something of value to the "discussion" as a whole, vs. argue and resort to name calling and jeering.

Alas, I guess it's easier for me to post a reply to a thread about "my favorite tv show this season" (which I'm sure I have done), because usually no one will argue with me mercilessly about my post.

It probably wouldn't be allowed, but I'd really love it if there were "Links" pages for each forum that gave folks safe and ATS approved links to legit sites that would allow readers to research, learn more about that topic. Like a static "library" of links to places to research. But that would take people out of ATS and wouldn't fly I guess.

Many here know the world isn't as it seems, and that musing on a site like this isn't really going to change anything in the world other than allow us to have a place to hopefully feel we aren't alone in our differing thoughts about the world's goings on that we don't feel we can discuss with others in our "real" lives. (sorry, loooonnnggg sentence there)

Having dialogue around solutions, as Beezzer suggested, that might lead to actionable items that we can do in our own lives that in some small way help make the world a better place, well that would be grand.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
One more thought - not a topic necessarily, but it would be so refreshing to have, say once a quarter, an opportunity to discuss topics that are highly controversial without getting a thread derailed and the opinions/perspectives belittled, and the thread writer and posters slammed and bullied.

For example, once a quarter, a mod perhaps opens a thread that is for "those who believe or think perhaps there is more to 'contrails' than meets they eye" and that all those who are interested in sharing their learnings, thoughts, experiences, etc. can freely, deeply and safely dialogue with no fear of getting derailed/bullied etc. The thread is closely monitored by the mod who opened it -- and it is open for a limited period of time (like a week or a weekend) for those who want to participate who share the same viewpoint. Some other time, there could be a "there's no such thing as chemtrails" thread that only those who align with that can chat amongst themselves, under mod scrutiny, for a limited time.

That way, people can dialogue freely without feeling bullied on either side, or ridiculed, and maybe they can actually create deep threads with lots of great input without getting derailed.

Chemtrails is just an example btw. There are other very polarizing topics that might warrant an occasional "moderated" thread that allows those who have a strong affinity for one belief to be able to share amongst other like-minded ATSers, undisturbed and without fear of backlash. But only a mod could start and end such a thread, only once a quarter or so.

Okay, it's late, and there's work in a few hours, so I'm done.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Id' very much like to read more threads addressing the problem of emotional and spiritual hygiene.
Lately there seems to be a number of members suffering from this incapacitating malady. If we could offer
them some suggestions on therapy and or treatment; I'm sure they would be grateful to be lead into the realms of "decent folk"

sadly most of the suffering members don't even know they are infected.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

I'd really love to see more threads about Obama and how awesome the American Government is / is not - especially in the lead up to US elections.

I caught your sarcasm tag as my little teapot was building steam...

Something tells me that by Nov of this year, we'll all know more about every in and out of the parties than we ever wanted or needed to know. Obama publicly states he wants Pelosi back as Speaker following midterm. That pretty well set the stakes it's all about and it can't get too much higher for the dedicated politicals.

I'll tell you the truth on this though... I DO intend to run a few series of very politically oriented articles as we approach midterm and much more detail in the following General cycle to 2016. However, you won't see a bit of partisanship, and if you do...call me on it because it won't have been intentional. I figure some basic 'This is how the system works at the nuts and bolts level for using it vs. being used by it' would be helpful at the right time.

Beyond that? Hmm... When the politics heat up? Well..that's part of why I thought to ask what I am in this thread. What *ELSE* can we writing folk find to share, so we can have something other than all pol all the time. lol.....

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

emotional and spiritual hygiene

Okay, I'll bite... What is that? I can't say I've heard that precise term before and I'm curious.... Perhaps something I can keep an eye out for material on as I hop around the net scouting for story material?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   

I would like to see more survival topics like .......................How to cook a good rabbit stew.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

beezzer

intrepid
I can tell you what I DON'T want. Any more guns, gay rights, abortion and religion.

I DID find this interesting today though:

www.thedailybeast.com...

Well there goes my thread about the Wiccan-gay-abortionist who likes guns.

Dang!

Actually, I'd like to see an ATS Think Tank.

We whine about the problems, yes I'm a big whiner, but just an area for SOLUTIONS would be just peachy!

Solutions forum....man that is a great idea! That has my vote!

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Galadriel

Galadriel,
That was a thought I was working with, a forum with the rule don't criticize, condemn or complain .
A friendly forum ?
Have read many people leave thinking they were unjustly attacked.
Sure all of ATS could be that way but.....

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Think tank is great idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join