It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby it's cold outside!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Checking in here from Toledo Ohio, -14 F, wind chill around -40. Freakin cold. I know we have a bunch of ATS ers in this neck of the woods, and in similar climates. Hope you all are making it through.

Got any cool cold weather stories?

Mine is I spent all morning digging out of 4 foot snow drifts with about a five foot wind row at the end of the driveway due to the county snowplows. Man that sucked lol. Got the water tricklin this eve to combat frozen pipes, heat is cranked, gotta get up at 5 am for work. Probably going to have to go start the car every hour or so to keep enough heat in the engine so I can get there.

Good luck to ya if you're in similar circumstances, keep warm.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by caterpillage

I'm in Texas, it's 29f but the wind chill is -40f....

According to me.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OrphanApology

That's the best indicator! If it feels cold, then it's cold!

Here in SC we aren't as bad. It's still 27° in my section of the lowcountry, but only thanks to the ocean being kinda nearby. As of some 9:45PM we hit freezing, and likely won't see it again until Wednesday! I find it refreshing, though dangerous it may be.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
NYC - went from high of 57 this a.m. to 25 now (wind chill 13) supposed to reach 9 later so wind chill below 0. Wind is howling like a....well you know.

Interestingly, I live by the water and drive on a road where water spray often washes over with strong winds - local news said to be wary of "ice spray" - never experienced that before! Could actually be pretty cool to see.

Tweet from the weather channel -

Just before 11pm ET, 85% of the country is below freezing and 24% is below zero - @twcMarkElliot

edit on 6-1-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I feel your pain. I am in Virginia the temperature is 6 degrees outside now WITHOUT the windchill. With the windchill we are expecting to see somewhere around 30 below by morning.
They said it hasn't been this cold here in over 25 years! They even called school off.

It's scary cold.

I will be bundled up in solidarity.
edit on 1/6/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Man I feel for you guys. It is a balmy 48 degrees here in Nor-Cal. I have 500 gallons of propane and the house is at a completely wasteful (but wonderful) 72 degrees.

Stay safe everyone the Polar Vortex is a rare and gnarly event.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
It's right about -20F here, with a slight breeze. We didn't get much snow out of this. It is supposed to start warming up pretty quick. The schools were closed for tomorrow already this morning.

I couldn't get the house over 69 with the wood cookstove today, it was comfortable but not cozy. I guess it is only a cookstove and I am trying to heat 2000 sq ft plus a thousand square feet of basement with it.

It works great up till about ten below zero, it gets it nice and cozy.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I can't tell you how much I want a wood burner, If I had one though all I would ever do is feed it, sit in front of it, drink beer and look at the fire. But that heat would be awesome, it's 58 in my house right now lol

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by caterpillage

The wife broke a filing last night so tonight I had to get her into the dentist. I only had to drive about 14 miles each way, but man the roads are crap, covered in ice and frozen snow to make it nice and lumpy, couldn't see the center lines and just had to follow the tire trails. The wind was blowing north to south at about 20 mph with blowing snow and the temperature was around 0 F, so wind chill around -30 F. Not pretty at all and what the hell is it with people and high beams? If you have snow/blowing snow, high beams make it harder to see, go figure.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'm just putting out a friendly warning about not bringing barbecues inside There were some fatalities in Ontario from carbon monoxide poisoning. (I believe they were new immigrants who didn't know about this danger) If you lose power, call to see if there are local heating centers, as many places offer them. Hang in there everyone! Spring has to come along some day.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

caterpillage
reply to post by rickymouse

I can't tell you how much I want a wood burner, If I had one though all I would ever do is feed it, sit in front of it, drink beer and look at the fire. But that heat would be awesome, it's 58 in my house right now lol

I feel for you. I got home from the dentist, threw in a bit of kindling and then some logs, got the fire going nice and two hours later I have a nice even 78 F. If you lived close to me in Ontario, I would give you a wood stove and a section of galvanized pipe (for the outside part of the flue). I have the spare stove (double folding door, takes 20 inch logs) and the pipe outside the house.

You should check out the homemade wood stoves on youtube. Some of them are really nice designs and they can be made for as little as $10.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Cincinnati current weather conditions: -5 feels like -25, record low. Some people's windows are frozen on the inside.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

abe froman
Cincinnati current weather conditions: -5 feels like -25, record low. Some people's windows are frozen on the inside.

So much for Global Warming, huh? J/K

BTW - I love your username... One of my favorite movies from my childhood!!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

caterpillage
Checking in here from Toledo Ohio, -14 F, wind chill around -40. Freakin cold. I know we have a bunch of ATS ers in this neck of the woods, and in similar climates. Hope you all are making it through.

Got any cool cold weather stories?

Mine is I spent all morning digging out of 4 foot snow drifts with about a five foot wind row at the end of the driveway due to the county snowplows. Man that sucked lol. Got the water tricklin this eve to combat frozen pipes, heat is cranked, gotta get up at 5 am for work. Probably going to have to go start the car every hour or so to keep enough heat in the engine so I can get there.

Good luck to ya if you're in similar circumstances, keep warm.

I live in Indy. It snowed 12 inches yesterday. Anything more than 3 is an emergency here. We have the worst snow removal in North America. It is -14 and -45 wind chill. My 13 old yellow lab almost froze to the ground. It is scary cold.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
3 degrees in northeast PA right now. I don't know the windchill, but I went out to bring in my 6 pack from last night i forgot in the car, and all my beer and potato chips were frozen! Good thing I won't be needing either till tonight!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
School was cancelled today, which they did at the last moment (As usual).

I am caught between going into work in an hour (Which I don't have to do, I'm off today) or building a snowman for my younger sister to play with.

Where I am at it is well below zero, and the windchill is making it worse. I don't even want to start my car, let alone brave the country roads.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
-10 according to my porch therm. -20 windchill so says the weather site. And I got to get out and mess with the cows......no fun at all.

new topics

top topics

join