It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Char-Lee
reply to post by Aleister

Hard to see but doesn't this one look similar?

part under the large flat rock left center

What are the chances of three of them (and counting!)

Here's another spokey-thing. (from your baskety-thing image)

Quite hard to see, can only see half of the 'wheel', but it's right at the base of that light coloured rock upper right of the 3 main rocks.

Interestingly, the greyish rock on the right - actually looks like a horseshoe crab on it's back..See the legs, central body and rim of the shell?

Like this one;

And again, another weird looking rock...this time a grey-green plague with what looks a lot like symbols and letters..i can see at least a W, an italic L an A and an X;

I promise you all, i've only zoomed in and cropped this out...it's there whatever it is. (bottom edge of main image, very small)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

As you can see when you zoom in so closely the pixel distortion and photo artifacts begin to take precedence and they create images which aren't really there on Mars. I had a pretty good martian skeleton a little while back which was shown to be just photo artifact. I'm missing your spoke example, are you sure it's made of mars material or much of it is photo resolution by-product?

I like your "W" and X marks the spot. A recent American president has ruined the reputation of the letter "W", although your example is an interesting look at how nature can mimic something in human culture.
edit on 27-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Who knows Aleister...the image artifacts and moire are terrible on these images, much to my continual annoyance.

Difficult to tell what is actually on Mars proper and what is a pixel related / poor quality image artifact most of the time.

Interesting all the same though.

The 'half spoked wheel' thing...see the first image i posted, look at the 3 main, central rocks (stones really as they're quite small), the slightly upper-left one of the 3 is a light-yellow colour, the half spoke thing is laying flat, against the bottom edge of that light rock on the right.

Here, i'll crop it on it's own for you..look directly below the bottom edge of the rock (in shadow)

See it?
edit on 27-1-2014 by MysterX because: correction

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

OK, I see what you mean. There seem to be two of them side by side, or connected (perspective again) with one of them being star shaped. These are very likely photo artifacts (to my untrained nonexpertise) but this is at least a "maybe". Good eye. Buzz's spoke has set the bar, and these others are at least crawling (or rolling) somewhere under or around that bar.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

hehe..Buzz's could be the Mum or Dad, and these are the kids?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

"And again, another weird looking rock...this time a grey-green plague with what looks a lot like symbols and letters..i can see at least a W, an italic L an A and an X"

Remember the letter "C" on a rock on the Moon? It becomes clearer and clearer...either all these photographs on planets, moons and other heavenly bodies with familiar shapes are made somewhere in the Nevada/ Arizona desert or it is a fact that once in a time long forgotten there were intelligent beings in these places.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

well with you agreeing with me on the rocks baseline , and Armap disagreeing but also agreeing with me on the sun shadow casting ability's , I believe it leaves us in a bit of a pickle in ascertaining what's happening

it could be that the face of the rock is facing the camera and its shaded in two steps, according to the angle of its face in relation to the sun and our point of perspective , giving the impression of the point of contact with the ground and giving us the illusion of a shadow that couldn't be created without an over hanging object in relation to the suns angle ,thereby casting the long shadow we appear to see
if this object had a overhang that is, problem tho, such a thing would have an outline that we do not see.

it could be that the rock is facing us and , as Armap says its all one shade of a dark colored rock, the thin outline of darkness he highlighted was the shadow , which would be in line with the suns angle, as it seen in many of the other rocks around and about the picture,..
the odd thing I see about this is that if its all one rock its a very thin rock , almost like you would see if a sharks fin was there instead ,side onto our view, virtually no specular highlights on its top leaving , well me at least thinking this is one lean rock , ha , ill bet the wind blowing the sand down the trail whistles as it cuts through.. really is a shame there's no microphones, makes me want to knock heads together at nasa

there are a few other wind trails exampled on the same pic, amongst other things, ill knock something up.

quick question about irfanview to those that are using it , I noticed that zooming has options of resampling, might be an idea turning that off when zooming in , albeit it does a good job of smoothing , it might be smoothing nasa's original resampling artefacts that were generated in there first resampling? (big time guess here,x3?) this re-smoothing might be deceptive in some instances

from what ive seen in photoshop, noting where the compression artifacts are , as there are often repetitive patterns , can help in deciphering a hard edge from a shadow.. etc etc

funBox

edit on 27-1-2014 by funbox because: wolves enforced a sentence must be finished

edit on 27-1-2014 by funbox because: of an arrival of gif juice

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Char-Lee
reply to post by funbox

What did you think of that buried basket looking thing? Is it really a curved rock and I imagine seeing little squares of light inside? is it light on the outside end of it maybe?

Ah, with funbox's pic I see what you mean by this one. A very strange object, straight curved edges with definite holes which are regularly spaced (obviously letting light shine through as shown by the shadow underneath it). I'm going to post funbox's image of this again. Chari-Lee, kicking the martian sand into our faces and making us look at some interesting objects:

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

hoi Aleister

I think something dropped off the rover
time to send in johnnyfive?

350kilobiteimage

funBox

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by funbox

This one is over my head (way over, judging the direction of Mars at the moment). Seems rocky to me.

I wonder if people just reading these posts realize that things and whatnots, green and with holes, and don't get me going on the eyes (why oh why is nobody telling me what kind of rock the Little Green Martian Blobman is composed of?) have been whizzing by on page after page. If they start about eight or nine or ten - ah, just read the whole thread - and get to here they will have sufficiently earned their Mars Explorer Badge.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   

MysterX
I promise you all, i've only zoomed in and cropped this out...it's there whatever it is. (bottom edge of main image, very small)

That's what happens when you zoom in too much on an image full of JPEG artefacts, you are looking at the artefacts as if they were part of the scene.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

funbox
the odd thing I see about this is that if its all one rock its a very thin rock , almost like you would see if a sharks fin was there instead ,side onto our view, virtually no specular highlights on its top leaving , well me at least thinking this is one lean rock , ha , ill bet the wind blowing the sand down the trail whistles as it cuts through.. really is a shame there's no microphones, makes me want to knock heads together at nasa

It's not necessarily a thin rock, in the same way the fact that you don't see the other side of a hill doesn't mean it's a thin hill, it only means that it's out of your field of view.

quick question about irfanview to those that are using it , I noticed that zooming has options of resampling, might be an idea turning that off when zooming in , albeit it does a good job of smoothing , it might be smoothing nasa's original resampling artefacts that were generated in there first resampling? (big time guess here,x3?) this re-smoothing might be deceptive in some instances

That's true, the resampling creates pixels to fill what would be an empty area when zooming and keeping the pixel size the same, resulting in an image in which we are looking at the JPEG artefacts mixed with the real image.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Aleister
Ah, with funbox's pic I see what you mean by this one. A very strange object, straight curved edges with definite holes which are regularly spaced (obviously letting light shine through as shown by the shadow underneath it).

I think all of that is the result of the JPEG artefacts, these images have too much compression and the artefacts are clearly visible.

If it makes perfectly vertical or horizontal lines, it's more likely to be an artefact than something that was photographed. In this cas, if the "holes" are aligned with the edges of the image then they are probably artefacts.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

an here lies the problem, ambiguity, through lack of data , ill go see if I can get another image, maybe there is another angle that will provide some extra information.

edit couldn't find a linked picture aghh well, I could do with two heads really

link

Aleister@
whey! the blue it makes a avatar appearance, I hope its brought an obfustication undo raygun

funBox
edit on 27-1-2014 by funbox because: the ceriberi needed his gif juice back

edit on 27-1-2014 by funbox because: links made

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

Funbox could you do your thing with this photo for me? I want to see, it does not look like rock to me. There are some very weird things in this picture but i am starting to see mars as a mass of ruins and artifacts and life forms.

center of this photo mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

PUMP MOTOR

SPIKEY THINGY

edit on 27-1-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

that was like where wally/waldo/thingy

think I got em all plus...

funBox
edit on 27-1-2014 by funbox because: W

edit on 27-1-2014 by funbox because: w

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

Thank you much! :-)

I wonder, the first picture it is tube like and cracked all along the right side, (far left bottom of your blowup) wonder what size this stuff is, i imagine it is all smaller than i am thinking, maybe like the tube item would be like a chicken bone by comparison?

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

I wish i knew how big, these could be an insect type nest even.

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

the incline makes it hard for me to tell distances, tricky one , the lowest anomolie down ide say was about 5-8 metres away

o I spotted this on the same pic

odd looking

funBox

posted on Jan, 27 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by funbox

Reminds me of wood just like the hollow cracked tube.

like this one next to the mechanical looking thing, look at the top and ends of it, looks like a very worn machine part to me.

right bottom
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

long ago i saw this don't know where but these little things no one looks at because they are small, but seems interesting to me S-hook you could see it before the blow up so it is there.

and this odd rock

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join