It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New China H7N9 Bird Flu Cases 'Signal Potential Winter Epidemic'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
China reported a new H7N9 case in a 37 year-old man from Zhejiang a week ago - he was healthy and had no contact with poultry. The latest case was found in Hong Kong in a 67 year-old farmer from Zhejiang. Flu season in the Northern Hemisphere generally runs from Fall to Spring. No one is using the "P" word so don't panic. But get prepared.

New China H7N9 Bird Flu Cases 'Signal Potential Winter Epidemic'

(Reuters) - Fresh human cases in eastern China of a deadly new strain of bird flu signal the potential for "a new epidemic wave" of the disease in coming winter months, scientists said on Thursday.

The strain, known as H7N9, emerged for the first time in humans earlier this year and killed around 45 of the some 135 people it infected before appearing to peter out in China During the summer.

...Ab Osterhaus, a leading virologist based at the Erasmus Medical Centre in the Netherlands who has been tracking the virus, told Reuters earlier this month: "We're bracing for what's going to happen next."

...The case of the 35-year-old man, plus another H7N9 infection confirmed just a day ago, suggest the virus "has apparently continued to circulate in an animal reservoir during the summer", the researchers said.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I have a natural resistance to most flues. I wonder if my resistance would cover this one. Either way, I will get sicker than a dog if I get the shot I suppose.....and I am a mouse...not a dog
edit on 25-10-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

As a crow I'm a bit worried. But I'm older and dealing with chronic illness - which means I probably have a lot more immunity to both H5N1 and H7N9 and a better chance of surviving infection than younger people with strong, healthy immune systems.

join