It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Theory of Precognitive Dreams

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
From the Abstract: "Theory of Precognitive Dreams"
See: www.youaredreaming.org...

With some assistance from Dr. Art Funkhouser who is one of the world leading researchers into Deja Vu and precognitive dream phenomena, I have put together an abstract which breaks down precognitive dreams into different sub-types starting from lower-order precognitive dreams to higher-order precognitive dreams. You can see where your own experiences with precognition relate to these categories. If you feel there are more categories please let me know.

If you are not familiar with what precognitive dreams are, they are future events first observed in a past dream. The paper linked goes into far greater detail then the categorizations which I am presented for this thread. This paper is public-domain, with no copyright and I am the author.

On the left side of the pictures we have the dream content if remembered, on the right side what future event they relate too.

Lower Order Precognitive Dreams

Déjà Vu Considered to be the most common experience with familiarity to new settings or events, déjà vu is common in most people ( www.deja-experience-research.org... ). The question asked is, “Can some déjà vu be linked to precognitive dreams where amnesia is a factor?”

In this example Phil has Sleep Induced Amnesia and has no recollection of where the memory imprint comes from. When he meets Jane, the familiar pattern triggers a sense of déjà vu.

Déjà Rêve French for already dreamed, is a type of déjà experience sub - type described by Art Funkhouser[1] Known as déjà rêve (already dreamt), it is that form of déjà experience in which the person has the impression that he is reliving an experience he has had previously while asleep (one usually says, in a dream). This explanation for déjà vu is one of the earliest, having been put forward by St. Augustine in the 5th century (A.C.E. 416) [ 23 ] and offered among other possibilities by Sir Walter Scott (1815) [ 24 ], Funkhouser, [ 20 ] and Dr. Vernon Neppe [ 25 ] . It can bring about the same sensations associated with Déjà Vu such as the Déjà Vu aura, goose - bumps etc. however the person links the memory back to something dreamt in the past. Like the above Déjà Vu example, Phil has sleep induced amnesia but when the future event triggers memory when he meets Jane, it triggers the memory stored from past dream content.

Symbolic Precognitive Dreams Dream symbolism abstracts the precognitive information and generally is not realized up until the actual event. It can be very difficult to identify it as a type of precognitive dream ; however , certain symbols in the dream can match or greatly exaggerate the future event when it actualizes. It is here that Phil has enough memory to write a dream journal entry: March 1 st , 2013 “Last night I had this strange dream : I was at a circus and there was this attractive woman with brown hair.” He has enough memory of Jane that when he meets her he can recognize her from the symbolic precognitive dream as she is the only relevant symbol to survive when the other content has been distorted by percept ion and other psychological factors such as awareness in the dream .

Third - Person Precognitive Dream From a third - person vantage point, this type of precognitive dream can take on both symbolic and literal similarities . However , it does not suggest that the information being observed will occur from a first - person point of view. In this case, Phil isn't part of the dream's setting or location but rather observes the details from a third - person point - of - view and later sees the image on the local news.

As Phil has working memory of the dream he enters it in his journal. March 1 st , 2013 “I had this horrible dream of a plane crashing into a building. It was terrifying.”

The textual representation is easily dismissable as coincidence, what Phil saw as an image matches the same image he sees in the news. If fMRI could have extracted Phil’s dream from the left frame, and matched the future event, then the arguments become less agreeable against the reality of precognition.

Probabilistic Precognitive Dream Probability plays a role when the dream content precedes the future data and events change the future outcome slightly or even dramatically. Certain choices were made after the dream takes place cause the event to alter in some way . In this case, Jane at the last minute is deciding over what to wear and the two choices result in a 50% probability that she may wear one or the other outfit. She's decided not to wear her white dress shirt and jeans and opted to wear a gray vest and gray slacks over a whit e T - shirt. However, at the time Phil had the dream she had chosen to wear the white dress shirt and jeans.

Phil's Journal Entry, “ I met this woman on some brick road near a restaurant. She was wearing a white shirt and jeans. She said her name was Jane. ”

Although the dream had striking similarities that Phil remembered ( the road, the restaurant and Jane ), it was the change of clothes that he didn't remember so he chalked the dream up as being a very strange coincidence. As the last of the lower - order precognitive dreams, this demonstrates how the different factors of memory, awareness, perception and probability affect the resulting future event compared to what is remembered or written down in a journal .

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Higher Order Precognition

Higher order precognitive dream experiences function at a literal view - point where the memory of the dream matches the future event in uncanny detail. People who experience this level of clarity in the ir dream content will have a much more difficult time dismissing the content as coincidence. This quality of precognitive dreaming is where the relationship to the future event and the dream becomes apparent to the dreamer. These types of dreams are in first - person, that is, from the point of view of the dreamer as they would be when he or she experience s the future event. Thoughts, feelings and emotions can all match what takes place when the future event's chronological moment in time becomes realized.

Literal Precognitive Dream From a first - person point of view, this type of precognitive dream is in literal detail. What you sense, think and feel in the dream can actualize in the future - tense when the dream actualizes. This dream can bring about a strong sense of Déjà Vu. Unlike Déjà Rêve , the dreamer has working memory of the dream where they can reflect and associate the memory to the future event.

Phil's Journal Entry March 1 st , 2013 “ I was on this brick road near a restaurant that said Old Vics, there was an attractive woman who said her name was Jane. ”

A good historical example of a literal precognitive dream is from author Samuel Clemens (" Mark Twain ") who dreamt of his brother Henry's death. The night before they sailed, Sam (Mark Twain) dreamed he saw Henry as a corpse, laid out in a metal casket, dressed in one of his older brother’s suits, with a huge bouquet of white roses on his chest and a single red rose at the center.

Lucid Precognitive Dreams A lucid dream is a dream where a person is awake and realizes that they are dreaming. More uncommon, lucid dreaming can emerge within the phenomena of precognitive dreams. This type of precognitive dream can have an even more pronounced déjà vu aura than a non - lucid precognitive dream. Robert Waggoner explains there are two types of lucid precognitive dreams: Active and Ambient.[ 27 ]

Ambient Lucid Precognitive Dream The next logical progression into precognitive dream content is the application of lucid dreaming. If future data is observed in a dream, it' s not a large leap in logic to understand that lucid dreamers can also be come lucid during a precognitive dream . An ambient lucid precognitive dream is where the dreamer observes the future content and goes with the flow. This does not mean at that time, that they will know the dream is precognitive. This fact reveals itself when the future event becomes relevant in time.

Phil's Journal Entry: March 1 st , 2013 “ I had a lucid dream where I was near a restaurant named Old Vic's Fish and Chips. There was an attractive woman there who said her name was Jane. We talked and ended up going for coffee. ”

When a lucid precognitive dream actualizes, the effects of the déjà aura become significantly more intense. The working memory of the dream, combined with the lucid awareness that stems with dreaming , carries over into the future event. This type of dream often has the highest quality of memory, awareness (lucid) and perception matching the future event in uncanny detail and clarity.

Active Lucid Precognitive Dream Lucid dreaming allows a dreamer to control dream content. Precognitive dreams subject themselves to change by this same mechanism . In an active lucid precognitive dream, the dreamer changes the dream in some way. In this example, Phil reproduce s a result from real - world experimentation w here he realizes he is dreaming. He affirms that he is dreaming by changing the dream. In this case he induces a small triangle on the forehead of Jane. Phil's Journal Entry March 1 st , 2013 : “ I had this lucid d ream where I was near a restaurant named Old Vic Fish and Chips. Realizing that I was dreaming, I put a triangle on her forehead to affirm this to myself as fact. ” When the future event actualizes the dream content, the action that Phil took in the dream caused a triangle to appear on Jane's forehead in the future event . Phil's journal entry reflects a real - world example which will be presented later in this paper.

Feel free to comment as to where your experiences fit on this list. If you are a skeptic and want to derail this thread please note that I have covered this extensively on the JREF and Skeptical Community forums with not anything short of arguments and dogma from the skeptical tennants which is nothing short of a religious replacement for material idealisms which to me is like citing references to the Bible when arguing beliefs. You'll bring nothing to the table short of your arguments and beliefs. I've heard it all, it's boring and I'll have no interest in your opinions having covered this so extensively with skeptics over the past 10 years and am more interested in those who have these experiences and want to understand them from a more scientific approach.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

Hmm,very interesting.I do have alot of deja vu's.
I do usually see the future in my dreams but I only realize it when it actually happens.
But with that I can realy see a event that will happen,somtimes through my dreams.And Im aware of it ,even before it actually occurs.

Good Deja Vu analogy.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalarn

And yes,I do see symbols after my "dreams". But I cannot define what they mean.
Sometimes they look like chineese letters,and sometimes they look like a series of numbers and letters.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalarn

Ill give an example for the simbols,this is the closest I can get by using normall symbols.

))))(()/&"&"

(/" =(A(&)

They can come in patterns,Like this:

) ) )
)(((
&/_-_--__-_-_

edit on 27-9-2013 by Dalarn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This freaked me out about a year ago.

So I had a dream I was on the London Underground and I saw my ex-boyfriend on the platform so I waved at him.(end of dream).

About 3 weeks later me and my son were coming back from Covent Garden and as we got down to the platform we just missed a train so we walked down to where the front of the train would stop to give us a better chance of getting a seat. So I get on the train and my ex-boyfriend was sitting there asleep,could not believe it because I had remembered my dream before I saw him.

So I dreamt of seeing him on the train and a few weeks later I got on the train and he's sitting there asleep. Not only that what are the odds, I missed that train and managed to get on his train and his carriage.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Dalarn
reply to post by Dalarn

Ill give an example for the simbols,this is the closest I can get by using normall symbols.

))))(()/&"&"

(/" =(A(&)

They can come in patterns,Like this:

) ) )
)(((
&/_-_--__-_-_

Now those are some very specific symbols, very cryptic and code like. Dream symbology can be quite broad to include the objects we see, but having such literal symbols like you describe is interesting.

I've seen lots of hypnogogic patterns and they form fairly exotic geometric symbols. Do you program software or webpages by chance ?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

restless genius

This freaked me out about a year ago.

So I had a dream I was on the London Underground and I saw my ex-boyfriend on the platform so I waved at him.(end of dream).

About 3 weeks later me and my son were coming back from Covent Garden and as we got down to the platform we just missed a train so we walked down to where the front of the train would stop to give us a better chance of getting a seat. So I get on the train and my ex-boyfriend was sitting there asleep,could not believe it because I had remembered my dream before I saw him.

So I dreamt of seeing him on the train and a few weeks later I got on the train and he's sitting there asleep. Not only that what are the odds, I missed that train and managed to get on his train and his carriage.

They can be very literal and as shown in this thread very vague as well. Each person is different with frequency and how literal they are. Some people simply do not have them. Aside from this example have you had other experiences related to future events and your dreams?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

No I do not program softwares,etc...

But If I wanted to I could.Maybe soon enoth,I will.I would have already program games,softwares,etc...if it wasn't for the lack of time,sponsorship and money.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Dalarn

No I do not program softwares,etc...

But If I wanted to I could.Maybe soon enoth,I will.I would have already program games,softwares,etc...if it wasn't for the lack of time,sponsorship and money.

Interesting, I am trying to figure out why you have such distinct symbols thought maybe if you programmed software or HTML that might trigger those kind of characters.

How big can the symbols be, do they appear as text or can take up larger space?

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

They appear in mid air,sometimes in colors.
They are usually about the same size.
Damm I tried to apload a picture of these symbols from a paper,but it somehow doesnt want to.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalarn

The more important question is,what is the meaning of these symbols.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Thank you very much for this. As a precognitive lucid dreamer with excellent dream recall memory I have long believed that dreams were the cause of Deja vu based on my own experiences.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Yes, I had a dream I won £100 on a scratchcard and I bought one and won £100.

Also I had a dream years ago that a man came into the shop I worked in and gave me a fake note and in my dream the note looked so obviously fake. A few days later the man from my dream came into the shop and tried to give me a fake note, and it was a bad one, spotted it straight away just like in my dream.

When I first got pregnant I had a dream that I was pregnant and had a boy (at the time I didnt know I was pregnant) so I got a test and I was pregnant, I had a boy.

Had a dream of an old school friend that I had not seen for years, a few days later I was walking down the street and she got off the bus at the exact time I was walking past.

I think there's a couple more that I cant think of right now but will add them in if I remember.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Dalarn
reply to post by Dalarn

The more important question is,what is the meaning of these symbols.

You will have to try to get some diagrams up of them, no way to tell based on no information. I also support the fact we do reincarnate and introduced to a Dr. friend of mine the fact people also remember having alien lives before they became human. Anything is possible, I believe that to be plausible as I have had my own memories of past lives and not everything I remember is entirely Earth bound experiences.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

calstorm
Thank you very much for this. As a precognitive lucid dreamer with excellent dream recall memory I have long believed that dreams were the cause of Deja vu based on my own experiences.

That is excellent Calstrorm, I don't meet a lot of lucid precognitive dreamers. Have you had any success within the lucid dream changing the dream content and observing those changes take place. My kid wants you to have a happy face, and this is the emote she picked:

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

restless genius

Yes, I had a dream I won £100 on a scratchcard and I bought one and won £100.

Also I had a dream years ago that a man came into the shop I worked in and gave me a fake note and in my dream the note looked so obviously fake. A few days later the man from my dream came into the shop and tried to give me a fake note, and it was a bad one, spotted it straight away just like in my dream.

When I first got pregnant I had a dream that I was pregnant and had a boy (at the time I didnt know I was pregnant) so I got a test and I was pregnant, I had a boy.

Had a dream of an old school friend that I had not seen for years, a few days later I was walking down the street and she got off the bus at the exact time I was walking past.

I think there's a couple more that I cant think of right now but will add them in if I remember.

That's excellent! It's good to have many references to this from first-person experience. I'm glad to hear there are more than one case.

I find this topic so amazing and fascinating as there is so much more behind the veil of reality than meets the eye.

posted on Sep, 27 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

YouAreDreaming

calstorm

That is excellent Calstrorm, I don't meet a lot of lucid precognitive dreamers. Have you had any success within the lucid dream changing the dream content and observing those changes take place. My kid wants you to have a happy face, and this is the emote she picked:

That is so sweet, tell them I said thank you very much. It made me extremely happy!

As for seeing changes, only once I I have always questioned myself on it. "Was it there because that was what I wanted to see?" If that makes any sense. There is a small handful of times where I was so so caught up in the moment of recognizing the event as something that I had previously dreamed that I forgot to to pay attentions to any aspects I might have changed during the dream, if that makes sense.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

calstorm

YouAreDreaming

calstorm

That is so sweet, tell them I said thank you very much. It made me extremely happy!

As for seeing changes, only once I I have always questioned myself on it. "Was it there because that was what I wanted to see?" If that makes any sense. There is a small handful of times where I was so so caught up in the moment of recognizing the event as something that I had previously dreamed that I forgot to to pay attentions to any aspects I might have changed during the dream, if that makes sense.

That was my 4 year old daughter, she was fascinated that we could use the emoticons, of course being a child she loves the funny faces.

I have changed precognitive dreams while lucid during them, and the changes did happen here in waking reality when the dreams came true. It was absolutely amazing, mind blowing experiences. I'm very grateful for having made the choice to make those changes as it taught me a lot about the nature of reality and it's covert relationship to the dreamworld.

Keep exploring, growing and learning from these wonderful tools. Very few are even aware enough to have them let alone pioneer and explore these states. Consider yourself very lucky. It's a genuine gift.

posted on Sep, 28 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Interesting thread. I had a sort of symbolic precognitive dream once. In the dream I was at a party and someone brought a strange dog that was a grasshopper-dog hybrid. The animal had a dog's head and shoulders, but had grasshopper legs that hopped instead of walked. Everyone was ignoring the dog, but I was fascinated with it. I sort of felt sorry for the dog, so I kept going over to it to pet it.

A few months after the dream, my family and I were looking at some dogs up for adoption outside a PetSmart store. We picked a cute shepherd mix mutt. We took the dog to my in-laws ranch and let her run around outside. This was during the summer, and the grasshoppers were everywhere. All of us were out there watching our dog chasing the grasshoppers, and she was so cute as she pranced along. She looked kind of like she was hopping too! My mother-in-law said, "That dog is part grasshopper!" Immediately, that dream came to mind.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join