It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Sending 'Fat Letters' To Parents About Overweight Children

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Hollie
reply to post by stormdancer777

Gay people don't have to buy 2 seats on an airplane. Gay people also don't have to have walls torn down to get them out of the house. They also don't typically break the backs of the EMT's to lift into a vehicle that does not fit them.
edit on 5-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

WOW you really have issues with overweight people don't you?

These are children.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   

stormdancer777
reply to post by Hollie

Children are so easily hurt, can you imagine the embarrassment?

I think there are many reason for the obesity problem in America and throughout the world.

Can you imagine if the schools sent home notes informing parents their child was gay?

Being gay isn't a medical issue. This is. It makes perfect sense to inform parents that are clearly not doing a good job of parenting. If someone is so oblivious as to let their child become obese, they need a note.

If parents actually step up and curb these bad habits we will have a healthier society, and save billions in health costs in the long run.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

sk0rpi0n
IMO, there is nothing wrong with schools reminding parents to get their kids in shape. Might seem harsh, but its for the better.

Unless of course, the parents prefer that their overweight kids learn later, the hard way.

I think all people who have eyes in their heads in the family already know, and are dealing with the isssues and low self esteem.

The school is there to teach, end of issue.

Not to bully, not to bring up someone's conditions or physical attributes whatsoever.

That is extreme abuse.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Domo1
Cringe every time I see a fat kid in the grocery store watching their Mom load the cart with liters and liters of coke, cookies and other nonsense.

Hi Domo1.
That's why I object to these "Fat letters".
I know parents who just cant understand why they and their kids are overweight, and they do try to control how much they eat! The problem is the stores are FILLED with unhealthy food, and many people on low wages cant afford the high priced healthy food thats hidden at the back of the store.
I'd rather see those responsible for the fat letters sending them to the stores demanding they stock better food at a more reasonable price.
Healthy food is deliberately overpriced too! That means they make high profit from those who can afford the good stuff, and force everyone else to buy the very profitable low grade garbage that half the time isn't even REAL food.

Half a dozen real sausages in the uk will cost about £3 yet in the cheap stores you can buy 30 for £1. With that price difference most parents are forced to opt for the 30 that cost £1. The problem is they are mostly skin and fat with added flavor to make them taste nice. The kids like them and mums happy because she thinks the kids are getting their recommended daily meat. Then they wonder why they're overweight!

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
People use to actually have to work for their food. bend over and pull out the potato, and they ate seasonally. Today they do not have to do that. There are over 75,000 species in a grocery store. It only makes sense that humans have to accommodate their physical activities in place of not actively harvesting/growing their own food. Not to mention all of the stuff in food today. hell, they do not even have to cook it anymore. Click a button and it's done.

What's sad is that the medical industry is not prepared to deal with the obese. especially the EMT's and their gurneys, the hospital equipment, etc.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

The point I am trying to make is heavy set people are discriminated against.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Unity_99

Not to bully, not to bring up someone's conditions or physical attributes whatsoever.

That is extreme abuse.

Well said, star for that.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Yes I take great issue with overweight people. Especially children, because they do not know any better. And it is heart breaking.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Unity_99

sk0rpi0n
IMO, there is nothing wrong with schools reminding parents to get their kids in shape. Might seem harsh, but its for the better.

Unless of course, the parents prefer that their overweight kids learn later, the hard way.

I think all people who have eyes in their heads in the family already know, and are dealing with the isssues and low self esteem.

That is extreme abuse.

I don't know man... it's not to embarrass the kids, it's to shame the parents into a bit of awareness of what they might be doing to their children.

Honestly, when I see a couple of obese kids with their parents with a cart full of Hot Pockets and soda, I cringe almost as bad as if they had black eyes or cigar burns.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

I don't think it is always what they eat but what is put into our food.

I know thin kids that eat just as much junk as heavy set kids.

Yeah I'm not going to disagree with you there. I think we all know one of those weirdos that eats 5 big macs a day, drinks like a fish and looks like a health nut.

That being said, there is nothing good about being fat. It's really all bad, and it's easily to identify. It's a problem that can be addressed with relative ease, especially at a young age. Good habits can last a lifetime.

Don't take this as me being a smartass or challenging, but what do you think would be more appropriate? Obviously we don't want to just ignore the issue. I was thinking maybe an innocuous letter that got sent home with everyone, but that wouldn't have the same weight (sorry) in my opinion. For the record I really feel for overweight people, especially young people. It must be awful. But then that's also why I agree with this measure.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Stormdancer, even peoples pets are FAT. If 33% of the residents are fat, it won't be long until they are the majority. Fat people don't seem to care that they are fat because 1 in 3 people are that way. They always cry discrimination too. When a building, or say a booth doesn't fit them, or a plastic chair has to be pulled away from the table because it will only support up to 200lbs. Yes, often I have to pull out our outside chairs to accommodate fat diners because we don't want them to crush it and hurt themselves. They get so offended.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I am just saying there are so many factors that need to be taken into consideration as to why there is an obesity problem in the world, it is not always the persons fault, you cannot lump everyone into the same category.

One example
health.yahoo.net...

and I am outta here.

www.infoplease.com...

edit on 103030p://bThursday2013 by stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Embarrassing to kids.

Embarrassing to parents.

It's intimidating and insulting.

This is amateurish.

Good to see we have a lot of Doctors and social scientists here

The school systems have been drilling and drilling all kinds of social issues into everybody's heads for decades.

Where's the results ?

Commies love all that stuff.

Live and Let Live.

It's not your business.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I get ya Void. I agree too for the most part. But taking issue with crapy food in the stores doesn't mean we have to take issue with a school for trying to educate parents.

I have read that it's cheaper to eat bad food, though I've had a different experience after basically cuttin the microwave cord recently. I spend WAY less on groceries than I used to. I think it just takes not being a lazy bum and actually cooking.

It's not a fun thing to bring up, and no doubt feelings will be hurt. I think some hurt feelings are worth the potential gains in this case though.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Ok... I have a feeling that many here don't understand how weight is gained and lost. You burn a certain amount of calories and you consume a certain amount. If you consume more than you burn, you gain weight. If you burn more than you consume, you lose weight.

It doesn't matter what the source of the calories are. There are no exceptions for this, not even thyroid issues. Certain conditions may make it harder for you burn calories but you MUST burn a certain amount just to live and eating under that amount isn't that hard. People have food addictions, plain and simple.

Any nutritionist will tell you that they've had people tell them that they've tried this and it doesn't work. 100% of the time, when they have to resort to monitored meals, it works and the weight is lost.

I sympathize as sugars and flours are addictive as are many of the other additives. That doesn't mean it's not your fault. It's hard to quit smoking but, if you die from it, it's still your fault.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

xuenchen

And you did not agree with the dietician in your OP either. What do you want from a forum? Every 3rd poster is likely fat. Seriously, what do you want? Go door to door with a dietician or personal trainer? Free fat camp for the kids? What?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
As a father.. if I got a letter from my sons school telling me he was fat.. I would go down to that school, find whoever sent the letter, and give them 5 across the eyes.

Worry about teaching my son an education. I'll worry about his heath.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Cuervo

Ok... I have a feeling that many here don't understand how weight is gained and lost. You burn a certain amount of calories and you consume a certain amount. If you consume more than you burn, you gain weight. If you burn more than you consume, you lose weight.

It doesn't matter what the source of the calories are. There are no exceptions for this, not even thyroid issues. Certain conditions may make it harder for you burn calories but you MUST burn a certain amount just to live and eating under that amount isn't that hard. People have food addictions, plain and simple.

Any nutritionist will tell you that they've had people tell them that they've tried this and it doesn't work. 100% of the time, when they have to resort to monitored meals, it works and the weight is lost.

I sympathize as sugars and flours are addictive as are many of the other additives. That doesn't mean it's not your fault. It's hard to quit smoking but, if you die from it, it's still your fault.

The parents who have lost their jobs and been forced to take minimum wage jobs (which is most parents) cant afford the low fat, low sugar food, they have no choice but to buy the cheap stuff. If they are forced to buy the expensive food they may not have enough money to supply their families with enough of it, then we'll see complaints of malnourished kids!

We need healthy food in the stores at a healthy price.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

I suppose nutrition isn't part of education? Okay. I dare you to slap an educator for teaching your child that obesity is a problem, and for letting you know that your child isn't healthy. What would you do if they told you that your child has bugs in his head? Smack them for that?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Hollie

xuenchen

And you did not agree with the dietician in your OP either. What do you want from a forum? Every 3rd poster is likely fat. Seriously, what do you want? Go door to door with a dietician or personal trainer? Free fat camp for the kids? What?

How 'bout this:

No Interference From Fake Experts !!

"Don't tread On Me".......

Hear the bells yet ?

Keep the commies out. Period.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join