It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Society Shortfalls

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The more I learn about how Western Society works, the more horrified I am with it. I have come to realize that people in Western society follow routines and schedules for no apparent reason, and actually having a human interaction with someone is completely out of the question, as is exploring something you are interested in, as is relaxing and taking time to do things in a non-linear manner.

In Western society, people like to connect dots and judge people based on irrelevant factors, for example, skin color as an indicator of job capabilities instead of testing the abilities directly. A lot of Americans will make things up as they go along, such as judging someone based on imagined traits or completely fabricated logic, and then be surprised when the person turns out to be someone they didn't expect!

In Western society, getting to know someone is not an option. That would mean sitting down with them and talking to them, and, heaven forbid, taking their opinion and perspective seriously or compromising, or working together.

I guess Western Society is some kind of depraved and corrupted self-centered place where even being self-centered has no purpose, because you might be earning more money, but that's just to get a bigger place and more stuff that isn't used, and to attract a wife that you don't even get to know, I guess it is what it is, at least I described it accurately.
edit on 3-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Western societies shortfall is great. What amazes me is our disconnect from spirit. We are so entranced with the physical, and yet almost all other cultures place exterme importance on the unseen. Our consciouness/spirit has been atrophied due to non-use. Recovering our ancient ways will save us. Many have this urge to discover what lies behind the veil of everyday reality. These are the truly powerfull and awakened among us.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Interesting thread and comments, be it more of a rant.

But compared to what culture? Asian? I know Asian culture is collectivist and Western individualistic.
In sociology Western people blame their own failures on outside events and other peoples failure on the person, while collectivist culture do the opposite. (In general. As always exceptions exist.)

In Western society, people like to connect dots and judge people based on irrelevant factors, for example, skin color as an indicator of job capabilities instead of testing the abilities directly. A lot of Americans will make things up as they go along, such as judging someone based on imagined traits or completely fabricated logic, and then be surprised when the person turns out to be someone they didn't expect!

You talk of stereotyping. Sociology says it's normal. I'm not aware that this is culture specific.
I think it's universal, because I think it is a survival trait. One may stereotype more extreme as the other though, but we all do it.

Western societies shortfall is great. What amazes me is our disconnect from spirit. We are so entranced with the physical, and yet almost all other cultures place exterme importance on the unseen. Our consciouness/spirit has been atrophied due to non-use. Recovering our ancient ways will save us. Many have this urge to discover what lies behind the veil of everyday reality. These are the truly powerfull and awakened among us.

I'm someone with a interest in tribal cultures. I'm also interested in Buddhism and existentialism, somewhat laughable, thanks to the movie Fight Club.

I do think we place too much value on physical (like material). In my opinion, we place too much value on what we do and what we have/want.

I believe we should but more value in how we feel about what we do, among other things I find hard to describe.
Ah, I know, I believe we should seek for self-progress and that this will result in progress of the group itself.

I seek for some sort of spiritual enlightenment in myself. Acceptance of myself, abolishment of cultural bias and certain fears and what I like to call a "higher state of consciousness". Note however that I seek it in a secular context.

I read and observe into human behavior and I read and observe into nature. I eat certain foods. I do breathing exercises. Listening to certain music. Exercising.

I find it difficult to word this I must say.

new topics

join