It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "N" Word on Trial

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I love how all us adults, who are clearly having a non-anger driven conversation, are still calling it the "N" word.

Is this how much power we are really giving it?

Surely, talking about it doesn't call for it's childish censorship?

I've seen the word "bitch" used in this thread, so why not 'n-word'?

(Oh, look, it automatically censored the word. How insulting.)

As a word on the street, used for what it was made for, it's a terrible word, but please don't insult the language by calling it the 'N" word.

That just gives it the power it currently has.

I'm sorry if reading that word offended you, but as adults having a conversation, it shouldn't.

That's what separates us from the ignorant/arrogant.
edit on 3-9-2013 by Unrealised because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-9-2013 by Unrealised because: (Oh, look, it automatically censored the word. How insulting.)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

People are more or less just acting out concept reproduction; and because of this, we will imitate others/things (reproduce our concept of what we think is good about them). If you learn that the n-word was used friendlily and by people you see as good, then you will more likely than not, use the word as well.

The negative emphasis you're trying to assign to the word was learn by you by someone/thing you perceive as good and that is why you dislike the word.

And I do not care if you are racist, racism is natural. We group things together because we use similarities between things to identify other things we have no concept of. This is natural to the brain and you should not be afraid of it. I only mentioned it because you implied growing up without a father is the cause of the use of the n word, which it has nothing to do with it... it is only used because people find it good to use in whatever situation - concept reproduction.
edit on 9/3/2013 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I was watching a great documentary about Richard Pryors life (one crazy mofo) and he explains that after a trip to Africa he stopped using the n word to describe other black people. www.poetv.com...

The documentary was called Richard Pryor : Omit the logic. Well worth hunting down.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I see a much bigger problem looming in the future by discriminating against our Reptilian extraterrestrial friends, using slurs and derogatory words such as "demons", "pure evil", "scum", "tyrants", "baby eaters", "murderous savages", etc. Already now this Forum is filled with hate-speech against the Reptilians and they are judged before merely by their skin color and appearance, before they can even make their case. We are all one universal family, our souls all have the same source and I wonder if this anti-reptilian bigotry is because people are afraid or because they have been brainwashed by religion to consider reptiles evil and slimy.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

And who brainwashed you to believe they're friendly?

The most often mention of reptiles/serpents/dragons are as gods/fallen angels/bad aliens(only a modern term).

What evidence says they're nice and not a faux kind of nice? Abduct and probe doesn't seem nice to me.

Is it bigotry if your impressions are true and you are unlike them?
edit on 9/3/2013 by Bleeeeep because: bad aliens*

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Bleeeeep

Well, I for one welcome our Reptillian overlords.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

There was a time when TV, movies and music were censored.

Has the lack of censorship made the word a better place?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

edit on 083030p://bTuesday2013 by stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bleeeeep

And who brainwashed you to believe they're friendly?

The most often mention of reptiles/serpents/dragons are as gods/fallen angels/bad aliens(only a modern term).

What evidence says they're nice and not a faux kind of nice? Abduct and probe doesn't seem nice to me.

Is it bigotry if your impressions are true and you are unlike them?
edit on 9/3/2013 by Bleeeeep because: bad aliens*

The post was a humorous one. It has a serious core though. The questions you bring up are valid. Are Reptilians really evil or is it only my indoctrinated prejudice that they are? If they are shown to eat babies, then its not my prejudice but my post-judice that they are evil...evil from the perspective of a person who values human life.

All I know right now is that Extraterrestrials will take the racism debate to a whole new level.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by stormdancer777

There was a time when TV, movies and music were censored.

Has the lack of censorship made the word a better place?

Yes, the world is a better place without censorship!
Censorship only has negative effects, all studies done in this area show the same results. You can't censor a problem away.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

I thought maybe it was satire but you were too convincing to the contrary. "We are all one universal family, our souls all have the same source" line got me. Although, I guess God did create angels/fallen angels too so, technically, it would fit, but not if reptilian are only all good or all bad.

They're shapeshifters anyway, right?

But back to the topic, yes we're all brainwashed - everything is most like 100% deterministic and we are more akin to just watching the show than we are playing in it. (Everything you sense forms what you think of your thoughts, and what you think of your environment, causing brainwashing/determinism for all)
edit on 9/3/2013 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

We should "Unban" the "N" word. Why? Because African Americans themselves use it daily. We also have it in EVERY rap song created since ever. I mean honestly, if people want the "N" word to go away, than NO ONE SHOULD USE IT.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Hiya Heff~

Hrmm, how to respond... I was having a conversation with my soon to be in-laws, there all very Caucasion... Me, I have Olive Brown skin but a lot of Hillbilly and Polish otherwise... We somehow
ended up on a conversation talking about Racism (This took place on Friday night of last week) Though, I won't go into great detail, I will excerpt the most important ( I feel ) part.

Ok... WTH... They literally changed the definition of the " N " word in Merriam Websters Dictionary... Now it has to deal with blacks, prior I've looked this word up and in old hard cover dictionaries and the definition was to the extent of: Ignorrant Person

And that was the point of the story but now I feel bamboozled... Hoodwinked...

Anyway while our discussion progressed I stated that and I quote "If a white or brown even black displayed or portrayed Ignorrant Behavior, I have no problem calling them a " N " because that person is Ignorrant. And true to the definition"....

Apparently, it doesn't mean that anymore... Odd part is all parties knew what the definition meant but now I have to update them to the new definition...

And now the official definition is changed.... What the hell is wrong with this world....

I digress....

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Mads1987

Young people have a tendency to rebel against the establishment, and they, perhaps more than anyone else, will recognize that the "n" word, is nothing but a word.

I was in a work place situation where there were only two whites...and about 10 or so blacks working.
None were younger than 25....and a few were in their 40s.
My boss was the other white, but her husband was black.

I was the only person in the room, save one older black woman, who did NOT use the word 'n-word'. It wasn't rebellion...although I guess it was cultural.
I was appalled. If it's just a word,, why that one....why not say "my friend" if that is what you mean.

Sorry, racial epithets are racial epithets.
They're wrong.
edit on Tue Sep 3 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed tag issue

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I am not sure that the world has become a better place, and don't most civilized people censor themselves?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

I hate to tell you this, but the Hallmark channel censors words out of old sitcoms like Cheers and Frasier...I kid you not....my husband and I just look at each other

What possible "bad" words could either of those two shows have been allowed to use when they first aired back in the 80s-90s

But, censored they are....words like ass.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Hiya Heff,
I just watched the movie '42' (Jackie Robinson story) last night....and quite honestly, every time I heard someone say that word...I flinched. I usually tend to stay away from movies that dwell on racial tensions, because they hurt me deep inside.
The word was originally used as an insult. Perhaps people these days are trying to 'redefine' it...make it mean something else...so that the sting is removed. Is it working? I don't know.
I don't like words that are used to define and insult any group of people.

I hate the hate. I hate insults. I wish people would stop finding all the differences between us, and look for the common ground. I've had friends of all colours and all religions. I tell everyone that "I'm colour blind".
To hate a stranger for characteristics that they have no control over....to me that is ignorant...unacceptable...
*sigh*
jacygirl

edit on 3-9-2013 by jacygirl because: sometimes less is more

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Young people have a tendency to rebel against the establishment, and they, perhaps more than anyone else, will recognize that the "n" word, is nothing but a word.

I was the only person in the room, save one older black woman, who did NOT use the word 'n-word'. It wasn't rebellion...although I guess it was cultural.
I was appalled. If it's just a word,, why that one....why not say "my friend" if that is what you mean.

Sorry, racial epithets are racial epithets.
They're wrong.
edit on Tue Sep 3 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed tag issue

Haha - sorry.. but your personal opinions about what is acceptable or appalling have little merit in young peoples opinion - which was my point exactly.
You ask - why not say "my friend"? - instead of the "n-word".
Because "my friend" does not challenge the norms set by the establishment. You might think this has nothing to do with rebelling, but I assure you it does! Youth will always call into question the norms established by their elders.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

This is so stupid, if they want to call each other "niga" who cares?
One of my sons very best friends is black, hes literally over here 2-3 nights every week.
They stay up late and play League of Legends and about every few minutes ill hear one or the other say, "niga" this or "niga" that.. its only a big deal because a handful of people make it a big deal.. Lighten up FFS
On a side note, I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time in 20 years the other day and Samuel Jacksons character says the word "niger" at least 20 times during the 2 hours movie lol.

What possible "bad" words could either of those two shows have been allowed to use when they first aired back in the 80s-90s But, censored they are....words like ass.

I have seen the word "jesus" censored when someone says jesus christ, I have noticed "god" censored out many times.
Theyre also starting to blur out certain items, brand names, logos etc on these older shows.. its laughable.
edit on 0309amTue, 03 Sep 2013 09:13:03 -05001399am9 by Sharingan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by stormdancer777

No, I think most civilized people tent to tell the truth regardless of who might get offended, if they really think that what they are saying is the truth.
All with execute some self-censorship if deemed necessary, but it is more often a result of greed or narcissism, than it is an acknowledgement of the offensive nature of ones opinions. Which is why marketing people are usually more concerned with these issues than people who work with communication.

I would rather argue that truly civilized people do not get offended.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join