It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huffington Post Eliminates Anonymity to Combat Trolls

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
wow...do you people realize what control ATS has over what you can say here????..... i'm left of center, and I have to be real careful about what I say, and how I phrase my posts here, regarding the right and republicans....I have had thousands of points taken away, because certain MODS say I violated the T&C's...I'll let you guess what side of the political spectrum they hail from......and now you criticize another private website for doing the same?

That works both ways Jimmy.
I've seen what appears to be a sanitizing of a conversation here too.

Which one provides a better picture of the actual mindset of a poster?

A. Put a blank in their blank and pull the blank.
or
B. A cute T&C logo.

Sometimes, the content that was removed wasn't even that harsh.

On the surface, it looks like punishment, but when people are so p.c., that they assume we're too fragile to handle the conversation, it almost defeats taking the time to try and communicate in the first place.

I really hope the moderators try to understand this, take it into consideration, and weigh what they're about to hide.

I want to know as much as I can, and that includes knowing who I'm having a conversation with.

JMO

edit on 24-8-2013 by lernmore because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
One simple point, people are more and more rude to one another as each day goes by on this globe. The internet is the medium within mediums which goes beyond television and movie boundaries towards doing as thou wilt. We as a global society do have a responsibility towards mankinds future representation of ourselves. Unfortunately our course seems to be getting worse not better.

edit on 24-8-2013 by KristofLaw because: ... changed 'a' to 'the' medium -

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This country has no backbone anymore. If you can't take the heat, give it up. Grow a thicker skin.

You know the above is not why they are doing it. People are waking up every single day. They find out nice guys finish last and to express their anger, they don't sugar coat it anymore. What is the Huffington Post afraid of? Ask yourself that question. Try unbiased news and quit creating fear factories. The rich can never tell you the real news. They cannot relate to you. They are in it for the money. The system is rigged.

Yeah you may still have that cush employment for now, but for how long? Will they leave you by the wayside when it benefits them? You damned right they will.

Macro think upon the end result.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by KristofLaw
One simple point, people are more and more rude to one another as each day goes by on this globe. The internet is the medium within mediums which goes beyond television and movie boundaries towards doing as thou wilt. We as a global society do have a responsibility towards mankinds future representation of ourselves. Unfortunately our course seems to be getting worse not better.

edit on 24-8-2013 by KristofLaw because: ... changed 'a' to 'the' medium -

That's because they are constantly bombarded by bull#. They were conditioned to be that way from a very young age. It isn't about US anymore. It's about me. I'm special, I am owed respect. I try not to sugar coat things because I see what it is doing to society. If we do not think about other people with compassion, humanity doesn't stand a chance in hell.

People get turned off at the extremes on either side. There must be some common ground. There must be a balance.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This is all to shut up dissent and we know it. You can't get a job now if they search you on facebook or other places and don't like your views. Most people keep their personal views personal at work. This is all about pressure to conform.

Conformity is all great when your group is in power. Just remember, your group might not be in control next year.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
yeah the writing is on the wall......theres been chatter for years of creating a single identity for online use. Before too long it could be a privilege and not a 'right' to use the internet....and when that day comes....it really is all over with.

the real strength of the internet was its quasi anonymity. It allows ppl to have one place, besides the confines of their own home if theyre lucky, to just be uncensored. Is that really so wrong? like one poster said...if some website like huffington cracks down on anonymity.....leave em in the dust and let them know why.....if theres enough of a movement they will take notice and might change their mind...it happens. I honestly wouldnt feel sad to lose them or any number of mainstream news outlets.....for the most part theyre all garbage anyway.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnifiedSerenity
This is all to shut up dissent and we know it. You can't get a job now if they search you on facebook or other places and don't like your views. Most people keep their personal views personal at work. This is all about pressure to conform.

Conformity is all great when your group is in power. Just remember, your group might not be in control next year.

I agree. This is a way to keep peope tight-lipped since they can be identified.

People say it's about X and Y, but it has negative side effects.

We're losing another freedom, slowly, but surely. Soon, all of the major sites will be this way and you can throw honesyt out the window bedcause there'll be NONE on those sites. Look at China and some other places that control the internet. Outcasts can't talk if they're not anon. People, on the whole, are less likely to speak their true feelings if those feelings are outside the norm.

Ministry of truth. Eh, I forgot they already debunked 1984 as fear mongering. Worse yet, I wager the DSM will mention 1984 in connection with those who have mental disorders.

Red pill or blue pill? Take the one suggested to you by the Ministry of Truth. One of them is reasonable and correct and the other is paranoia and dysfunktion. Easy choice, eh.
edit on 24-8-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I guess it comes down to people who know how to get around things and others who think they have no choice,get angry about it and are too dumb to do anything about it.

posted on Aug, 25 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
I guess it comes down to people who know how to get around things and others who think they have no choice,get angry about it and are too dumb to do anything about it.

I'll let you take up the cause because you're doing such a great job at it so far. They already know who we are and if you don't think so, you are just fooling yourself. It doesn't matter until you're in the crosshairs and then they will use all the negative you've posted against you. Hell, they might even persecute you for what you believe in. Doesn't matter if it's true and just.

We have a thinker here! Trump up some charges and go lock that boy up. It can get that bad and I'll bet we'll see it get to that point soon.

From the Ministry of Propaganda

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LOSTinAMERICA

They already know who we are and if you don't think so, you are just fooling yourself.

Like i said, too dumb to do anything about it.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
The Huffington Post wants to combat trolling, huh? As a first step, they need to fire about 85% of the so-called 'journalists' writing their articles. If they weren't producing so much biased, one-sided garbage then they might not attract quite as many 'trolls' to their comments sections.
At least the bloggers write under their own names, as opposed to those moronic keyboard Commandos who hide in anonymity. I'm all for shining a light on the roaches to watch them scatter. Cowards.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Trolls are not cowards, its just really funny and most people don't get that.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I'm not really for nor against internet anonymity. If someone has a blog/news-site and they post rules for that site which they own, then it is on me and me alone.

"Pleased to meet you, won't you guess my name?"

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
I'm not really for nor against internet anonymity. If someone has a blog/news-site and they post rules for that site which they own, then it is on me and me alone.

That is what i was saying.
I'm for internet freedom and data

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
reply to post by LOSTinAMERICA

They already know who we are and if you don't think so, you are just fooling yourself.

Like i said, too dumb to do anything about it.

Yet, you are here arguing with me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join