It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of Indian Men being Rapists

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
I am now concerned why India is being singled out as a rape-nation in the last few months, although its stats are significantly lower than so many other countries.

That is a very good question. Why indeed? Sensationalism dictates that the US should be the target of such media exaggeration, not some foreign distant country (no offence meant, OP). Sorry if I misunderstood your posts earlier.

Im not sure what you are trying to say with this post....that we should continue to single out India?

No, I'm saying that every countries has dirty hands. Saying that India is "not so bad" compared to others is like saying US CO2 emission is "not so bad" compared to China. Meaning, it's still bad. I really want to emphasize on the fact that ethical values should be absolute, not relative.

edit on 13-8-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

Hey, if it's any consolation i dont trust what gets reported on the MSM. There is good & bad going on all around the world.
If murdoch and the lords and dames who run the bbc want to highlight a certain issue there is always some ulterior motive behind it
Probably funded by the same ppl sponsoring human heart eating, beheading & rapes being carried out in syria to deflect attention from that.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by maddy21
reply to post by intrepid

Pretty low...around 25-35% on the top of my head from seeing local news....i cant find any specified data....but that has drastically increased as of the past few months ...

What are your local news? That way we could search for the source.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by intrepid

That still doesn't take away the fact that India is #2:

It is said that rape in the west is highly unreported. How much more so in India?

Hmmm....ok....Ive adjusted my viewpoint once more.

It would seem that the rights of women are generally lower than here in the West.
edit on 13-8-2013 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

The link intrepid gives rape cases purely in number of reported crimes...That is a flawed idea as the population of India is 1.2 billion people and obviously there would be more crime..... A correct figure would only be possible if the rapes where taken in terms of 100000 people ... So that there would be a balanced view on the amount of rapes happening ... thats is 22,172 per 1.2 billion people in 2010 for India , while most of the western countries population stands in around 200-300 million or even less ...
edit on 13-8-2013 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

would this help ?

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

More than enough. Thanks!

~

The sources are:

-The Wall Street Journal,

-The Ministry of Home Affairs.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

It was not known to me that rape is 27 times more common in the U.S. My view, formed by the media, was that rape was more common in India.

It is not 27 times more common, it is 27 times reported more than in India. Big difference. I would argue that because of several factors: religion, family size and customs, social norms, women's status in society, and laws would be the reason why a woman in western countries are more comfortable to report a rape or assault than in India, hence the large proportion in number differences.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

That is not true .... you cannot simply assume that it is 27 times more reported.... i would ask you to back that up with some statistical data .... As i have in my opening post.....Actually If you look at the opening post and read thorugh it , it will be very clear that the conviction rates of Rapists in India are HIGHER than United states

religion, family size and customs, social norms, women's status in society, and laws

As for all this... you don't know a thing about Indian Culture or its society, so please keep out of it for your own good

Edit: Ill provide you with statistical data myself

www.rainn.org...

COmpare that to this

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

TV taught them what Indian culture is. TV can't be wrong ya know!

I already had enough people using Middle east stereotype in the last thread to describe India.... i would not surprised if they think india is in middle east and predominantly a Muslim country.

Indiakistan!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

I'm not assuming anything your number state that rape is REPORTED 27 times more in the USA. YOU made the jump that 27 times more reports=27 times more rapes. When all we know is rapes that are reported. YOU are the one assuming not me.

I never brought up convictions so I don't know why you are.

"keep out of it for my own good" Are you making an internet threat?

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Divide and rule.....this agenda of developing hate with other countries is increasing.. Indian media going ape# on Australia blaming them for being Rascists....i have been trying to calm thigns here as well.. Its country against country people against people race against race, religion against religion ....

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

i didn't come here to fight..besides i can't threaten someone sitting 10000 miles away

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

I grew up with the understanding that most men of India are truly gentle and kind. About these rapes, I know it will sound ignorant, but my first thought was Muslims, but only because the news is reporting Muslim rapes elsewhere in the world. I have always had a fondness for the people of India.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by maddy21
I am god damn tired of people generalizing the entire Male community... Just because Rapes are being reported more in India does not mean... Rapes are common In India . We have 1.2 billion people and there are bound to be a few morons here and there....

en.wikipedia.org...

As per U.N rape statistics rapes in as per 2010 figures....

India

1.8 out of 100000 people

The United States of America...

27.3 out of 100000 people

Yes, use statistics for "number of police-recorded offenses", when the consensus is that the police is one of the biggest obstacles in getting rid of rape and in getting perpetrators convicted, that makes sense..

“That officer then came over and asked me why I wanted to file a complaint,” the 30-year-old mother of two said in a recent interview. “He said I would be ridiculed unless I agreed to settle things without an investigation.”

“If you’re a woman in distress, the last thing you want to do is go to the police,” said Vrinda Grover, a human rights lawyer based in New Delhi."

"he treatment of women by the police is such a concern that laws now forbid officers to arrest or even bring women in for questioning during nighttime hours. In case after case, the police have used their powers to deliver abused women into the hands of their abusers."

“It is an unfortunate reality that police are not trusted in this country,” said Nirmal K. Singh, a former joint director of the Central Bureau of Investigation."

“During that whole time, I lived in fear of my husband being killed or my kids being kidnapped, because I knew the police wouldn’t help if that happened,” the woman said. “I have no faith in the police. If you have money or connections, you can get justice. If you don’t, forget it.”

Just one source of many

The police in Britain and the US may not be loved by all, but it is ridiculous to equate the police force of India to those of the before mentioned. Really.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

from your wiki link,it seems molestation/sexual abuse is more prevelent then rape in india with something like 75%ish of the survey responded that they were molested ,40% of them by a family member. also of note is the fact that in some countries (not all mind you) that what would be rape in America or the Uk is not classified as rape as in some places you can rape your spouse legally,toss in a few countries prosecuting rape as adultery and then in some cases killing the female for reporting it can lead to what looks like lower numbers then actually occur(this goes on every where as rape is one of the more under reported crimes world wide)

also again in India(amongst others) spousal rape can only be addressed in civl court not criminal court meaning you can get money from your rapist but he will not do jail time if he is your husband.

another thing i found shocking researching this is that up until 1965 if you were raped in italy you were expected to marry your rapist,this carried on until Franca Viola 17 broke tradition by not marrying her rapist and kidnapper thus put a stop to the process by bringing it to national attention.also of note rapists got immunity in ititaly by marrying their rape victims(shudders).

you look hard enough every single country on this planets hands are dirty every single one.

from your link it might be more common to hear indian men blamed for rape now a days as the rape rate has doubled from 1990-2008

India Main article: Rape in India Rape in India is one of India's most common crimes against women.[49] Marital rape that occurs when spouses are living together can only be dealt under the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act 2005 which only provides civil remedies to victims (it is a form of non-criminal domestic violence). Marital rape is not a criminal offense, except when spouses are separated. Rape cases in India have doubled between 1990 and 2008[50] Penile and non-penile penetration in bodily orifices of a woman by a man, without the consent of the woman, constitutes the offense of rape under the Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, 2013.[51] Sexual violence within marriage is common, with 20% of men admitting to forcing their wives or partners to have sex, in a survey by the Centre of Research on Women, US, and Instituto Promundon in Brazil.[52][53] In a 1999 news story, BBC reported, "Close-knit family life in India masks an alarming amount of sexual abuse of children and teenage girls by family members, a new report suggests. Delhi organisation RAHI said 76% of respondents to its survey had been abused when they were children - 40% of those by a family member."[54]

of note in the past few years it seems that the overwhelming number of statutory rape cases involving students have female perpetrators when teachers are involved(had to clarify) ,so the rise of females doing sexual assaults is also on the rise.
edit on 13-8-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
You're comparing conviction rates. Western countries have high conviction rates because we have liberal societies with a decent legal system.

Lack of rape convictions in India doesn't point towards lack of rape, if anything it highlights how bad the problem is in India. The legal system/society doesn't take the crime seriously at all

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

I assume that the real number is about the same as in the US and all the other 'developed' countries. The number is that low because women there don't report rapes as much as in the US - usually rapist can't be found or police doesn't want to find them and ruin stats; like in US, sexual predators are in most cases people who know the victim. So the real number for the US, GB and India would be somewhere over 30, but still almost the same.

It just confirms that they're humans.

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

What makes you think that rapes in India are being reported. If anything, they're probably drastically under-reported.

We've only heard of the most horrific cases.

Based on everything I have read, there is a general attitude among men in India that women are some kind of second class citizen and that rape is viewed as a type of "just punishment". Punishment for what?

Apparently for being born with female reproductive organs.

edit on 13-8-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Don't ask me questions i have already given links to and answered...conviction rates, rapes reported.... links have been provided in my previous posts..its just a matter of reading it..... which some people over here are not .....

Conviction rates in US is LOWER than that of India...proof is in my posts above

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
And if one would have to go buy sexual assaults, spousal assaults ....the figures in the west are pretty much up to par or worse than anything in India.... My point is ,there is no point singling out my country . AM not saying rapes does not exists here...my point is simply put India is no specialty, its as bad or worse anywhere else... please DO NOT reply with posts saying

But the conviction rates in India are low

But rapes reported in India are low...

Those two points have been disproved very very clearly with links to back it up...

Am not in a mud slinging contest... but people singling out India in a thread where the very point was to not to do that was pretty sad for a forum which says "deny ignorance" .. Its as bad anywhere else....we have to work together, no point in pointing fingers at one another...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join