It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts shun obese members as controversy continues

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

Originally posted by benrl
Growing up I used to struggle with my weight, I was a chunky kid.

You know what I wish, I wish back than as a child some adults had taken a #ing stance and instead of telling me as a child "it was okay"

Had instead said "Hey put the candy and micky D's down"

It took until my college years for me to take my own health seriously, took the matter into my own hand and fixed it, would of been nice though if someone say with authority or with whom I respected had took me aside and explained Gently but firmly that the live choices I was making (AND THAT ADULTS ALLOWED) where going to lead me to an early grave as an adult.

Kids are just that KIDS, and they needs ADULTS to make sensible life choices for them and show them the way to live and grow up to be a successful adult.

The boyscouts are trying to address the issue, it maybe heavy handed and perhaps wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if its the first time someone told these OBESE kids NO.

Don't blame others for your fatness.

Didn't you realize that you ate too much?

Didn't you ever get full?

Didn't you feel your pants were getting too tight?

Didn't you sweat like a pig?

Didn't you see yourself in the mirror?

Didn't anyone tell you you were fat?

Lol,

1.Now I don't, as an adult that #s on me, hell it was in my teen years I started to try and do something and successfully did.

2. Wasn't about too much, it was about eating CRAP a 900 cal happy meal vs say a 500-700 cal home cook meal. The home cooking will fill you where the happy meal youd still be hungry after.

3. Pants, why no, why would they when everyone caters to fat people and carries their over sized #?

4. Sweat? as a child, pfft, You have to move to do that, and as a child I had tv, video games, and permissive parents so no I didn't.

5. Saw myself everyday, Had parents and family, who would pinch my cheeks tell me how cute I was, and how special I was. (Biggest load of horse # but people love to coddle children)

6.Sure they did, but with all the above, I was so confident that it didn't bother me, I was a special, cute, well loved child whose parents did everything to shelter and coddle that behaviors.

So yea from k-9 grade Did nothing, HS tried and bumped up against the household was raised in, and like I said, in College I locked that # down.

AT any point I could of handled that # with my Adult mentality now, as an elementary aged school child? NO.

Sounds like you had a wonderful childhood.

There was this one kid I knew whose parents were heroin addicts.

He even peed in the corner of the living room.

He prolly never ate a happy meal in his life.

link   
reply to post by beezzer

Awesome post. I hope you get lots of positive family time.
You won't have to worry about indoctrination or problem people spewing on your child.

link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Just in case someone missed it, I'm a little steamed.

My son, my child was born with a vision problem. He can't effing see too well. I suppose he should get kicked out of scouts also!

Birth defect > Obese.

They are not the same thing beezzer, strongly disagree on this one.

As a former Obese child, my parents could of helped me not be.

The thought that Curable sickness (obesity is clearly a health issue) is the same as being disabled and a birth defect is part of whats wrong with this Country.

Hold people accountable for their life choices, Parents should be held accountable for it.

I wouldn't want to place my child in harms way, SIMPLY because I as a parent couldn't tell him "No" when he cries for his favorite fast food.

More so after making the above choice to let my child continue to be unhealthy I wouldn't than throw him at a triathlon and bitch when people said that wasn't wise.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Nope. God forbid they don't allow him to participate because he's partially blind!

. . . . First they came for the fatties fats. . . but we all hated the tubbo, lard-butts so that was okay. . .

Then they came for the . . . . . .

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I'm not sure if everyone understands that boys with a BMI of 40.0 or higher are still allowed to be Scouts, and are able and encouraged to attend the vast majority of Scout events, camps and Jamborees. Just not THIS Jamboree or other High Adventure camp. Because of it's LOCATION.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Bull poop.

Now it's "qualifying" a condition.

If he's "born": with it, then we'll let him in.

But if he ate too much, then slam the door!

link   

beezzer

My son, my child was born with a vision problem. He can't effing see too well. I suppose he should get kicked out of scouts also!

I don't understand your frustration beezzer. The two are totally different.

I'm sorry, but I'd like to stand up for Obese kids too, and try and their lives better, but treating them like they don't have a problem, isn't the solution.

What if you denied your child's vision problem? Would he be safer or more at risk of injury?

The same thing is present with Obese children. Somebody, eventually has to tell them that they are fat, too much so and need to drastically change their lives if they don't want to spend it with a pile of diseases.

I'm sorry, obesity is an epidemic, and harsh measure need to be taken.

link   
As a former boyscout i see no issues with this. A lot of the activities at jamborees require a level of fitness that the an obese child wouldn't be able to accomplish, and the organization would be wasting time/money by allowing them to come.

link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

In your below straw man, using MY logic, Some adults should of probably locked that situation down and helped that kid out...

Sounds like you had a wonderful childhood. There was this one kid I knew whose parents were heroin addicts. He even peed in the corner of the living room. He prolly never ate a happy meal in his life.

SO by your logic, WTF was the kids problems? didn't he see that his parents where heroin addicts, hell didn't someone tell him peeing in the corner was bad?

Geez your right he should of got his # together and handled his life choices.

At-least try to troll consistently with your ideological choices here...

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Those who ever look sideways and comment on another appearance, and think they can boss parents or kids about their weight should be charged with bullying. Its ugly and mean and doesnt progress your soul.

PERIOD.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So you would be happy with placing your son in a place of vastly increased danger of injury specifically because of his impaired vision and with no ready access to medical services.

Why?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

reply to post by benrl

Bull poop.

Now it's "qualifying" a condition.

If he's "born": with it, then we'll let him in.

But if he ate too much, then slam the door!

It absolutely is qualifying, The world is Not Black or white.

Your sick, okay than you get a pass.

Never-mind said sickness was caused by horrendous life choices by everyone involved.

Yes the child is innocent, but an OBESE child, requires adult intervention to help his life, not adult appeasement and a pat on the head telling them its okay to be the way they are.

They need kind gentle guidence that firmly says, NO its not okay, but YES we as the adult will guide you to being better.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

beezzer

I don't understand your frustration beezzer. The two are totally different.

I'm sorry, but I'd like to stand up for Obese kids too, and try and their lives better, but treating them like they don't have a problem, isn't the solution.

What if you denied your child's vision problem? Would he be safer or more at risk of injury?

The same thing is present with Obese children. Somebody, eventually has to tell them that they are fat, too much so and need to drastically change their lives if they don't want to spend it with a pile of diseases.

I'm sorry, obesity is an epidemic, and harsh measure need to be taken.

How about. . .oh, I don't know. . . treating them like kids? Expose them to camping and activities that they may have not been exposed to ever before.
Take into account their conditions. But no special treatment! My son got his kickball/soccer/athletics badge. He fell all the time. My beautiful child smashed his little face into the dirt more times than I could count. Skinned knees, face, hands, arms, it was something he wanted to do though.
And we let him, the scout master and I.
He achieved it all by himself.

But let someone who is fat try the same thing?

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Those who ever look sideways and comment on another appearance, and think they can boss parents or kids about their weight should be charged with bullying. Its ugly and mean and doesnt progress your soul.

PERIOD.

I agree that bullying is not the answer to solve the obesity epidemic, however here's a list of activities at the jamboree that the children would be engaging in.

rock climbing: An obese child doesn't have the same range of motion as a non-obese person, and would be putting themselves at risk - as well as their belay.

whitewater rafting: The weight distribution would be a safety concern, as well as the possibility that they can't paddle hard enough to carry their own weight (no pun intended).

mountain biking: No issues with this.

rappelling: Same issues as rock climbing

skateboarding: overweight + balancing = fail

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

PERIOD.

Those that think its not okay to tell a child that bad behavior can cause harm have no business being anywhere near children.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
Just not THIS Jamboree or other High Adventure camp. Because of it's LOCATION.

This is a camp that is physically more demanding and so they have a health cut off.
Not for everything. But just for the more physically demanding camp that this is.
Makes sense to me. Sorry .... but it does.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Are they renaming Boy Scouts to Vain Scouts
I thought Boy Scouts was about teaching boys to work together as a team. I'm glad I am not a troupe leader anymore. That is what happens when Gays are allowed in it now I guess, they want to have all cute guys there now.

I remember when Boy Scouts was about being out in Nature.
edit on 16-7-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You ever see a fat kid go into shock because of strain? Ever see them loose breath, have a heart attack? Or the variety of other conditions that obese folk have to watch out for, because, wait for it, they are obese?

Your child's disability doesn't put him at risk of killing himself if he goes for a jog, or exerts himself physically.

Obese people have an actual medical risk. It's not the kind of thing they can just start doing, it must be a routine that is closely monitored by themselves and hopefully a professional, to get their eating and weight in a good place.

I know sometimes our emotions want to dictate facts, but this is science here and it's not moral to encourage obesity and treat it like it isn't a disease. It plainly is.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Fat < Obese.

Not chunky, not pleasantly plump, not some baby fat, not big boned, OBESE.

Obesity is a medical condition in which excess body fat has accumulated to the extent that it may have an adverse effect on health, leading to reduced life expectancy and/or increased health problems.[1][2] People are considered obese when their body mass index (BMI), a measurement obtained by dividing a person's weight in kilograms by the square of the person's height in metres, exceeds 30 kg/m2.[3] Obesity increases the likelihood of various diseases, particularly heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, certain types of cancer, and osteoarthritis.[2] Obesity is most commonly caused by a combination of excessive food energy intake

This is a very specific type of being fat, its dangerous and harmful to the child, so much so that climbing a hill could cause injury, from joints and muscle fatigue, to actual deadly conditions as stroke and heart disease.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

How about. . .oh, I don't know. . . treating them like kids? Expose them to camping and activities that they may have not been exposed to ever before.
Take into account their conditions. But no special treatment! My son got his kickball/soccer/athletics badge. He fell all the time. My beautiful child smashed his little face into the dirt more times than I could count. Skinned knees, face, hands, arms, it was something he wanted to do though.
And we let him, the scout master and I.
He achieved it all by himself.

Again.....

I'm not sure if everyone understands that boys with a BMI of 40.0 or higher are still allowed to be Scouts, and are able and encouraged to attend the vast majority of Scout events, camps and Jamborees. Just not THIS Jamboree or other High Adventure camp. Because of it's LOCATION.

Obese children are involved in all things scouting. They go camping, bike riding, fishing, hiking, canoeing, snowshoeing, skiing, etc etc etc. We have an obese boy or two in my son's troop all the time and they participate just as fully as anyone else!

But they can't go to High Adventure events. Because of the location of those events.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join