It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low-Cost Solar Energy — New Process Utilizing Antifreeze & Inexpensive Materials Aims For Cheap So

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
[url=http://cleantechnica.com/2013/07/09/low-cost-solar-energy-new-process-utilizing-antifreeze-and-inexpensive-materials-promises-cheap-solar/]link[/ url]

It's always interesting to see how we are always innovating.

Solar cells that are cheaper to produce and contain fewer toxic compounds may be a reality in the near future, thanks to new research from Oregon State University.

By utilizing a commonly used antifreeze — ethylene glycol — and some other comparatively cheap materials to produce solar cells in a “continuous flow reactor,” the costs of solar cell manufacturing can be cut down considerably, according to the researchers. A continuous flow reactor is an approach to creating thin-film solar cells that could be easily scaled up to industrial levels.

The research has found that ethylene glycol can function effectively in a continuous flow reactor as a low-cost solvent, replacing more expensive options. The researchers also discovered that the approach will work with CZTS — copper zinc tin sulfide — a compound that had already gotten the attention of researchers in the solar energy field thanks to its notable optical properties and the reality that the compound is cheap and relatively environmentally benign.

IMO it's always a good thing to have newer cheaper ways of generating power.
Hopefully this won't be buried by oil companies.
Maybe in the 3rd world countries it will be a success.

cleantechnica.com...
edit on 9-7-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This is brilliant! Lets just hope it doesn't get buried along with all the other potential game changers..

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

What makes anyone think that CHEAP energy sources will be successful and put out into public? It won't be allowed until all other EXPENSIVE resources are utilized and they capture every dollar possible from it...

THEN once this is accomplished, the prices of these materials to make CHEAP energy sources will skyrocket, causing expensive energy yet again....And the circle will continue on and on.....As long as there is money to be made, IT WILL BE....(unfortunately)

Great find Grey! I hope I am wrong, although I never hold my breath with anything in energy
edit on 7/9/2013 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Sounds interesting, though one thing strikes me as strange. This solar technology is dependent on the petroleum production of ethylene glycol. Does that defeat the purpose in a way?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Privateinquotations

Nope because it will reduce dependence.

we just can't quit oil cold turkey.

too many of our products are oil based. Plastic.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

why did you pick el che as your avatar?
just curious

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Current Solar is not economical, unless it is subsidized. So if this new research can allow the production of solar panels at a lower cost it will make solar an economical viable.

As of right now the cost is more than the return. No if you can make the return great that or equal to the cost you have your selves an industry.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
the answer to oil is hemp; why do you think they made it illegal?

www.crrh.org...

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Very cool, S+F!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBRiddle
Current Solar is not economical, unless it is subsidized. So if this new research can allow the production of solar panels at a lower cost it will make solar an economical viable.

As of right now the cost is more than the return. No if you can make the return great that or equal to the cost you have your selves an industry.

One problem with solar is its footprint. The area required for generating significant amounts of power is high and the environmental and ecological consequences of large solar farms are not known.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

just curious

He was a really cool dude.. simply put.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
This is brilliant! Lets just hope it doesn't get buried along with all the other potential game changers..

What is the need for cliche police to come into every single alternative or new energy thread just to say the same tired old expression,

"Woap, gonna get them there free energy surpressed we is!"

Seriously...

Have of these studies and papers don't even relate to the real world, they are because universities are looking for funding. So they overstate things;

Like, "easy to scale up"

I'm not saying this one in general, but if they are talking about scaling up it could be energy production at the micron level for all people know. Or it might only work in extreme conditions etc.

Why must the cliche police always ensure that there can't be some new energy tech without thinking it's going to be swept under the rug.

Exactly how many new energy processes can you say was completely suppressed, I assume you have many examples?

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Privateinquotations
reply to post by grey580

Sounds interesting, though one thing strikes me as strange. This solar technology is dependent on the petroleum production of ethylene glycol. Does that defeat the purpose in a way?

No, because the ethylene glycol is not consumed in proportion to the energy produced.

Petroleum is fantastic raw material. Using it for fuel has been described as akin to "burning Picassos in the fireplace for heat."

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Please dazzle us with this laundry list of non-existant game changers.

posted on Jul, 11 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by qwerty12345
the answer to oil is hemp; why do you think they made it illegal?

www.crrh.org...

Hemp is not illegal.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

just curious

He was a really cool dude.. simply put.

I wasn't aware that murdering innocent people in cold blood made you cool.
You might want to read up on him some more.

top topics

join