It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First ever arrest caught on Google Glass

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Chris Barrett was filming fireworks this 4th of July with his Google Glass device and happened upon a fight. He filmed the brawl and resulting arrest.
www.npr.org...

Chris said the fact that the Glass is relatively unnoticeable made a big difference.

"I think if I had a bigger camera there, the kid would probably have punched me," Barrett told me. "But I was able to capture the action with Glass and I didn't have to hold up a cell phone and press record."

Christophe Gevrey wrote in his blog;

"More notable than the video itself is the ease at which it was captured without the knowledge of those in the middle of the melee. His footage foreshadows the rapidly approaching future where everything can be filmed serendipitously by folks wearing devices like Google Glass without the knowledge of the parties involved."

Personally I think you should assume you are being filmed any time you are in public.
There are more and more municipal cameras every day. Here in New Orleans many crimes have been solved because of them and they have demonstrated a decrease in crime in certain areas.

I was talking to a couple of my cop friends the other day and asked them how they felt about being filmed.
They told me that they didn't mind but often times the person filming was pacing back and forth, talking smack and being a jerk. When that happens they respond predictably.
They said if the public would calmly back away and quietly film, it would not be a problem. They said they wished it would happen more but they also said they would prefer if all the videos were published, the good and the bad.

If more and more people get on board with Glass type devices, cops will know they are being filmed anytime they are in public.

The only thing that troubles me about this article;

(Google) is "thinking carefully" about the feedback it's getting from lawmakers.

If this tech gets shot down by lawmakers because of privacy concerns, I will see it as an indication that the police state many of you warn about is upon us.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
This technology is really cool. Two things that would make me paranoid;

1. This tech + all the surveillance going on right now.. Just makes it weird. Now they'll be able to see what I see? haha

2. I would worry someone would come up and snatch them off my head and run off.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by introV

I would worry someone would come up and snatch them off my head and run off.

iphone theft is probably the fastest growing crime problem in New Orleans. Just like you said, someone comes running by and grabs it.
It's hard for me to understand why there's not a standard, anti-theft feature on all smart devices. On the other hand, I can see how a company like iphone would benefit by having large numbers of them stolen and replaced.

edit on 9-7-2013 by tanda7 because: sp

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by introV

Now they'll be able to see what I see? haha
Good question,
I found this;
"When Someone Hacks And Roots Your Google Glass"
disinfo.com...

The only thing it doesn’t know are your thoughts.

top topics

join