It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My abc... (4th letter) is screwing with me

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
My abc... next... (4th letter in alphabet) key is not working. I reboot to correct, works for a little time but then it acts up again.

WTH?

Copy-paste is ok tho..."d"

Any help?

Peace

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I'm going to stand up and be the smart ass here...since someone has to be one here.

Hold down the Alt key, type 100 and there you have it. A baby d is born to face the world. (applause)

Thank goodness for ASCII Coding in a pinch, eh?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I'm going to stand up and be the smart ass here...since someone has to be one here.

Hold down the Alt key, type 100 and there you have it. A baby d is born to face the world. (applause)

Nope, nothing.

Thanks tho.

Peace

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I had a similar issue a while back, it turned out be a "hotkey" in a program that started when my computer did. Once i figured that out and disabled the hotkey all was well again.

If you can, try to use a different keyboard to see if the issue persists. If it does then you know its software causing the issue and not hardware.

If it turns out to be software related then i would try to figure out what is loading just before you start having the issue. Maybe close any running programs/process one by one until you get your D back.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDdddddddddddddd
There are some spares you can use until you get it resolved :p

DC

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I reboot to correct, works for a little time but then it acts up again.

Your d is sick with a disease. If left untreated, soon it will spread to other nearby characters until whole regions of the alphabet are winking and blinking. Then your keyboard will die.

That'll be 59.99.

Wait! I just noticed that "D" is between S&F. Maybe its jealous of all the stars and flags you have(nt) been giving?

Dirty characters

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx
reply to post by jude11

I had a similar issue a while back, it turned out be a "hotkey" in a program that started when my computer did. Once i figured that out and disabled the hotkey all was well again.

If you can, try to use a different keyboard to see if the issue persists. If it does then you know its software causing the issue and not hardware.

If it turns out to be software related then i would try to figure out what is loading just before you start having the issue. Maybe close any running programs/process one by one until you get your D back.

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDdddddddddddddd
There are some spares you can use until you get it resolved :p

DC

What program to look for?

How to cut hot key?

Peace

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
reply to post by jude11

I reboot to correct, works for a little time but then it acts up again.

Your d is sick with a disease. If left untreated, soon it will spread to other nearby characters until whole regions of the alphabet are winking and blinking. Then your keyboard will die.

That'll be 59.99.

Wait! I just noticed that "D" is between S&F. Maybe its jealous of all the stars and flags you have(nt) been giving?

Dirty characters

Not helpful but funny as hell.

Peace

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

My abc... (4th letter) is screwing with me,
You have upset the DOD's.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

It depends a lot on what program has the hotkey. A hotkey is a global shortcut to do something in a certian program. They are there so if you do something a lot you can quickly repeat the process by assigning a certian button to do the action. For example (i dont recommend doing this) you could assign the "T" key to open a new tab in your web browser.

As far as troubleshooting which program would be the culprit, i would do the following. This assumes you are running Windows as your operating system, if you are using something else like a Mac, let us know what operating system you use and we should be able to come up with specific instructions.

Open a notepad program, or something that you can use to test your keyboard, and maybe copy/paste these instructions, just make sure not to accidently close this notepad while doing the following steps

Press ctrl + shift + escape: This will bring up your "Task Manager"
Click the applications tab and right click one of the tasks and choose "End Task"
Test your keyboard, if the D key is still not working, repeat.
When you have closed all of the Applications with the exception of your notepad, click on the processes tab and do the same thing.

The trick is to close them out one by one so that if your keyboard starts working again, you know which process was causing the trouble.

If you find it, post the name here and we may be able to find info on how to disable any hotkeys.

You will likely need to reboot your computer after closing multiple applications and processes to make sure all the important ones are back up and running, but dont worry about breaking anything. any issues that come up from ending processes and applications can be resolved by a quick reboot.

DC

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by piequal3because14
reply to post by jude11

Not the first time.

Peace

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by xDeadcowx
reply to post by jude11

It depends a lot on what program has the hotkey. A hotkey is a global shortcut to do something in a certian program. They are there so if you do something a lot you can quickly repeat the process by assigning a certian button to do the action. For example (i dont recommend doing this) you could assign the "T" key to open a new tab in your web browser.

As far as troubleshooting which program would be the culprit, i would do the following. This assumes you are running Windows as your operating system, if you are using something else like a Mac, let us know what operating system you use and we should be able to come up with specific instructions.

Open a notepad program, or something that you can use to test your keyboard, and maybe copy/paste these instructions, just make sure not to accidently close this notepad while doing the following steps

Press ctrl + shift + escape: This will bring up your "Task Manager"
Click the applications tab and right click one of the tasks and choose "End Task"
Test your keyboard, if the D key is still not working, repeat.
When you have closed all of the Applications with the exception of your notepad, click on the processes tab and do the same thing.

The trick is to close them out one by one so that if your keyboard starts working again, you know which process was causing the trouble.

If you find it, post the name here and we may be able to find info on how to disable any hotkeys.

You will likely need to reboot your computer after closing multiple applications and processes to make sure all the important ones are back up and running, but dont worry about breaking anything. any issues that come up from ending processes and applications can be resolved by a quick reboot.

DC

Thanks for the time you spent to help.

But...this was the first step I took with no results whatsoever. ???

Peace

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

reply to post by jude11

Not the first time.

Peace

I really wish I could help... Just literally lolled at how you typed your post without any 'd's' though...

ETA: Every post...

edit on 8-7-2013 by JeffersonAirplane because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm somewhat reminded of this.. en.wikipedia.org...

Should probably read that some time

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JeffersonAirplane

reply to post by jude11

Not the first time.

Peace

I really wish I could help... Just literally lolled at how you typed your post without any 'd's' though...

ETA: Every post...

edit on 8-7-2013 by JeffersonAirplane because: (no reason given)

No choice.

Gotta master the English language so that I can use alternative ways of communicating.

Too much brain power tho...

Peace

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I've noticed for years that when you have a missing letter you can press the "Ctrl" key while pressing that key and it will respond. It's somehow mode-shifted. After a while it will free up and you don't need to use the "Ctrl" key; it somehow un-mode-shifts itself....

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

I've noticed for years that when you have a missing letter you can press the "Ctrl" key while pressing that key and it will respond. It's somehow mode-shifted. After a while it will free up and you don't need to use the "Ctrl" key; it somehow un-mode-shifts itself....

I just did a reboot and my D is okay again but expect it to revert to the same issue shortly.

Very strange.

Peace

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Nope, nothing.

Thanks tho.

Peace

Nothing as in it didn't work? ASCII coding should work on any machine, pretty much regardless of what is running unless directly overridden by another command in place? It's dates clear back to DOS Version 3 and before in being a core part of the operating system? Odd.... I'd get that looked at itself if the coding of holding ALT with 3 digit codes entered isn't producing characters? 100 just happened to be " d ".

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Nope, nothing.

Thanks tho.

Peace

Nothing as in it didn't work? ASCII coding should work on any machine, pretty much regardless of what is running unless directly overridden by another command in place? It's dates clear back to DOS Version 3 and before in being a core part of the operating system? Odd.... I'd get that looked at itself if the coding of holding ALT with 3 digit codes entered isn't producing characters? 100 just happened to be " d ".

Nothing at all.

I guess I might have bigger problems.

I can't even quote all of the alphabet agencies with this issue. aarrgghh....!!!

Peace

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Pssst! You might have a dirty contact. Pop the key off and spray some compressed air into it. Depress the key post a little to open it so the air can get in there. If it modifies the function at all, theres fuzz or a nit of hair in there,

Sounds like dirt and not coffee stickum because you say its intermittent. If it was goo it would be permanently out.

If you don't have air duster try a thin straw. A vacuum? Hold it over your head upside down and shake it while pushing the key and blowing thru a rubber straw and doing the rubber chicken hex dance.

Huh, nuh nuh nuh nuh, Huh nuh nuh nuh nuh.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

I just did a reboot and my D is okay again but expect it to revert to the same issue shortly.

Very strange.

Peace

Perhaps you misunderstand my meaning. After it quits working, then press "Ctrl" while pressing the "D" key. It should work each time you press both. At a certain point, it will go back to its normal function without pressing the "Ctrl" key. I'm telling you, I've done this a million times. No, that's wrong--854,011 times....

ETA: Never mind. I see that you did understand....
edit on 7/9/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join