It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing photos of the universe captured by NASA’s galaxy finder

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
"In just 10 Earth years of operation, NASA’s Galactic Evolution Explorer, or GALEX, looked into more than 10 billion years of cosmic time. It saw hundreds of millions of galaxies, and it greatly expanded our understanding of the evolution of the universe. Thanks to this incredible breadth of work, it managed to give us some of the most stunning and important pictures of the cosmos despite being designed to see into areas of the spectrum that normally keep photos from being pleasing to the human eye. GALEX’s ultraviolet camera produced images and datasets that are striking all on their own, and others that could be combined with visible-spectrum images to show the shape of our universe in unprecedented detail, an accuracy no one observer could capture.

GALEX showed us galaxies in their infant, adolescent, adult, and elderly stages. It showed us some galaxies in mid-collision, and others on the brink of a natural death. Its ultraviolet eye also provided insight into fast-moving stars and black holes, letting scientists see a whole new slice of the light given off by incomprehensibly awesome events, many of which occurred before the formation of the Earth itself. It’s given insight into everything from galactic birth to the nature of dark energy."

Thought I would bring this to the attention of ATS.

www.extremetech.com... Full article.

edit on 2-7-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

ABSOLUTELY stunning pictures!! Stuff like this is as impressive as it is beautiful!!

Great find
Awesome pictures
Incredible

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
God it's so frustrating to know that I will never get to explore and view such great images like this in my lifetime. I just want to be Jodie Foster in the movie Contact for those few seconds of our time.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Pictures like these remind me of how inferior we are on the large scale of things. Such a tiny planet, its hard to grasp how we have conjured up so much hate for our own species, the inferior differences that divide us on a daily basis, its such a shame. If we used that energy to unite us, we could focus on the future of humanity and globally aim for the stars.

Living forever in the current social climate would be hellish, but if I had a chance to witness things like this picture shows, then I'd take the immortality pill just on that chance
OP, thanks for sharing, great pictures.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Isn't the universe amazing? The pictures are beautiful, and yet probably don't do justice to the subject -- would these galaxies be even more beautiful if we could see them for ourselves? Thanks for the pics - wonderful!

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Its so beautiful.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Billions of years old?

That can't be right! We all know the universe is only 6000 years old, because we can add up all the ages in the Bible. It's all written right in the book, you just have to do the math.

Kidding aside, amazing photos... thanks OP.

Khar

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
and it all stared with a big BANG

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
it all started when super massive black holes formed from gaseous regions, began sucking in the gas, and for some reason, started spitting out blobs of stuff that would become planets and stars etc.

i dunno how pretty those places would be close up, as they are incredibly dangerous.
but dang those are nice pics

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Tin foil hat on :

What if those photos are computer generated and given to the public to justfy all NASA's expenses and divert all that money to another evil purpose.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Thank you for sharing,awe-inspiring and magnificent! I'm not really one for apps except photographic,but I did get the Hubble-photo's one.That top pic garnered a weird emotional response,I actually felt tears come to my eyes when I looked at it! My alltime favorite cosmic image is the one of those massive "pillars" -i think they're also known as "star factories".Its a wellknown image,some one on this site uses it as an avatar.Those just blew me away-especially when my hubby described the size of those-just mindboggling.Thanks again,wonderful images!

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:18 AM
link   
It's amazing what an explosion of nothing can create, since all observed explosions only create chaos

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
It's amazing what an explosion of nothing can create, since all observed explosions only create chaos

True, but remember ex chaos venit ordinem or out of chaos comes order! (Nietzsche)

The vistas are remarkably beautiful, kind of puts things in perspective.

edit on 3-7-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I bet in most of those amazing images of light there is life.

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
God it's so frustrating to know that I will never get to explore and view such great images like this in my lifetime. I just want to be Jodie Foster in the movie Contact for those few seconds of our time.

I realize this is slightly off topic but you could learn meditation to induce out of body experiences. Having learnt this skill I feel it is my duty to mention it when I have the chance, it might have a bad image among the stereotypes it attracts but you can explore while fully conscious. I have not yet been in space but I have flown through the clouds.

edit on 3-7-2013 by voudon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
* double *
edit on 3-7-2013 by voudon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Maybe this can help us get better pictures of the more famous areas? Orion? Pleiades? Draco? That will be interesting.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
When you go to page 4 in the in the link for the OP click on the next story at the bottom. It has an image of the center of our galaxy that can be magnified and moved co you can center on the center.

Nice find

top topics

join