It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I eligible for the Military?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Im 16 and Will probally go to UC Chico or The Airforce Academy but I have a question and I havn't bothered telling the recruites , Can I join the military if I have had surgery on my foot due to legiment tightness? And I also have one flat foot (Why GOD
) But I can still run a mile in about 6:45 minutes. So am I eligible for the military? Yay or nay?

-Thanks

Thx 1138

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I would "forget" to metion that to the recriuter. You currently quilify for the

marines assuming you can run 1.5 miles in less the thirteen minutes.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Not sure about the polocies in the US army, but in the UK you would be eligable for the junior army, then be able to join the adult army at 17 years 4 months.

Untill you are 18 you need your parents consent to go to a war zone.

[edit on 6-11-2004 by Bikereddie]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Im In The United States, So Should I not tell my recruiter about my surgery then? They don't check past medical history or anything?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
THX 1138
You�re good to go. You�ll need to be at least 17 � years old with your parents permission to sign up. Don�t tell them about your surgery or the gimp foot. My cousin signed up with me in 1986 and he had two flat feet. And when I say flat brother I�m talking flat as pancakes!

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
The military doesn't care if you've got flat-feet these days... The Corp took me, and my ankles are shot. They curve toward the inside of my legs. I lost count of how many sprained ankles I got while in basic.

For the USMC, you need to finish a mile and a half in 13:30.
Do at least 5 pullups. (I think it's 5).
U.S. armed forces require recruits to be 17.5 years old upon entering basic training. By the time your out of basic, done with combat training and/or technical training, you'll be old enough to die for your country.
USMC basic is 13weeks, MCT is 4-8weeks depending on your 'job' while in service. Then, your off to tech school. (In my case,one year in Pensacola, FL for Airframe&Powerplant. I worked on fighter jets.)

Worried about the draft THX?
I'm not sure they can get it thru, but they might...

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by THX 1138
Im In The United States, So Should I not tell my recruiter about my surgery then? They don't check past medical history or anything?

Unless something has changed - there used to be a required physical before entering the academy. At that time they also looked at your medical history including any surgeries you had. If you fail to acknowledge a physical defect or limitation - you are violating the honor code and could be expelled. Be up front with them - your physical condition now should be the issue. If you are able to meet their requirements - would they care?

Good luck to you!
B.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
No Im not worried about the Draft , I've always wanted to join the Airforce Academy at Colorado but recently i've been thinking about becoming a Software Engineer, But really....Being a software Engineer is great and all with family and such but being a pilot would be so much funner , right?

But the Airforce has the lowest requirments for physical training dont they? And they have the shortest basic training right?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
If you want to be a pilot you�ll want to consider becoming an officer. This requires a college education. There are other ways to becoming a pilot but the most common method is as an officer. I regret not having finished college before going into the military. Life is much more rewarding in the military as an officer. I didn�t finish my education until after the military. In any case, study your options carefully and don�t walk into a recruitment office without having spoken with someone who knows the system. They live to screw you over at the recruitment office. It�s like going to a used car salesmen only the used car guy is often times more honest!

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Okay Then Machine, I think here at ATS we have some Veterans.

So should I go to Chico State for 2 years or how ever long it takes to get my degree in software programming then Join the Air Force Academy? Or do I just go straight into the Air Force and skip the Academy?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   

So should I go to Chico State for 2 years or how ever long it takes to get my degree in software programming then Join the Air Force Academy? Or do I just go straight into the Air Force and skip the Academy?

What are your goals in the military? First of all, are you up to academic air force academy standards? If so, do you want to be an officer? If not, why go to the academy? Air Force basic training is shorter than the Marines, and maybe a week or two shorter than the army which is 9 weeks right now. About medical conditions.....if you're going straight in, I would "forget" about any surgery I had, I speak on this from experience.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tripnastic

What are your goals in the military? First of all, are you up to academic air force academy standards? If so, do you want to be an officer? If not, why go to the academy? Air Force basic training is shorter than the Marines, and maybe a week or two shorter than the army which is 9 weeks right now. About medical conditions.....if you're going straight in, I would "forget" about any surgery I had, I speak on this from experience.

Well I was like 6 or 7 when I had the surgery so I guess I can "Forget" about it.

And Yes I do want to become an Officer

Well I want to be a pilot of course why else would I join?
But if not that maybe some thing dealing with computers/Communications?

And I have a 3.5 in High School right now and I know the standards for joining the academy are pretty high but how high?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My Grandfather is a U.S. Air Force veteran. My dad is a U.S. Air Force veteran. I am a U.S. Air Force veteran. If you want to go to the AFA, you had better have straight A's and participate in your schools sports program and do outside volunteer work. THEN get to know your Senator, he will be the one sending you.

If you really want to be a pilot, then I would consider the Navy. They need them more than the Air Force does. At one time they were taking people with two year degrees. I am not sure if they still are.

BUT... WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT FORGET ABOUT YOUR FOOT. Wrong wrong wrong. If you get hurt and they find out about it you will at the very least get an Article 15 Non Judicial punishment. THAT is if you are enlisted and lucky. If you are unlucky or an officer .........As an officer you must act
as an "officer and gentleman" at all times and as a pilot you will need at least a TS clearence. If you get caught and you meet those criteria, Expect a Court Martial.
'
Just a little advice, keep your head up!

AIM HIGH!

AND THAT IS A FACT.

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Sports....You serious man. hell I havn't played sports for school in over 6 years lol .

Community service....Does being an alter boy and that crap count ? lol

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
At one point I did want to join the Navy since they travel the world and all, Maybe Might consider going to them If I don't make it with the AFA.

But really Are the standards VERY VERY high like..um say Harvard to get into the AFA?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Harder, you don't need a member of congress to get into Harvard, just a lot of cash. But don't worry, AFROTC at many schools can get you flying too. Im serious though, it is not easy to get into a millitary academy. How about VMI or the Citadel?

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
THX 1138 if you want to become a AF pilot first your vision can be no worse than 20/70 (correctable with glasses to 20/20) in each eye. If your vision is not up to these standards your pretty screwed, Unless you want to pilot UAVS.

Heres a link to all the Air Force Flying Physical Medical Examination Standards

usmilitary.about.com...

About AF boot camp I think your right The Airforce is the shortest and they say the easiest out of the 3. Marines have the longest boot camp which is 12 weeks

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:15 PM
link   
ShadowXIX thanks for the link but it mentioned nothing but the feet area

And My counselor told me all I had to do was send a letter to my congress man and he will automatically give me the approval.

Does the NAVY offer anything similar to what the Air Force Does at the Academy?

The reason I don't just go into basic Air Force is becuase If Im going into the military im going to make it as a living and some day hope to work in the Pentagon when...Im older. So I guess I will talk to my counselor more often and to the Navy Recruiter to see whats up with their Fly Boys, but the thing is the Air Force recruiter is only here once a year *To My knolege* Since everyone wants to join the marines or the Army

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Assassin

For the USMC, you need to finish a mile and a half in 13:30.
Do at least 5 pullups. (I think it's 5).

OH MY GOSH! In 1982, as a woman in the army, you had to pull off 20 pull ups.

Holy cow have things gotten easier or what!?!

[edit on 11-6-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Nov, 6 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
academy

[edit on 11/6/2004 by just_a_pilot]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join