It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wealthy using disabled guides to skip lines at Disney World?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Wealthy using disabled guides to skip lines at Disney World?

NEW YORK --

Some wealthy families have found a way to skip to the front of the line at Disney World: They hire disabled tour guides. That's according to social researcher Wednesday Martin, who says she found out about the "underground network" while working on a book about New York City's Park Avenue elite.

Walt Disney World allows handicapped guests who need a wheelchair or motorized scooter to bring up to six guests to a more accessible ride entrance, effectively skipping to the front of the line.

"It is unacceptable to abuse accommodations that were designed for guests with disabilities," Disney spokesman Bryan Malenius told us Wednesday. "We are thoroughly reviewing the situation and will take appropriate steps to deter this type of activity."

Full Article

I can't pin down which part annoys me the most about this article. The fact that these "wealthy" people are exploiting a service employed by handicapped individuals or that they think they're too good to wait in the regular line with the common folks.

Of course the companies offering these tours probably aren't going to question the reason behind why they want to hire a handicapped person. If someone has the dime I am quite sure they will have the time, it's a business.

I really would love to be able to see a graph of all the times my faith in humanity has been damaged as well as restored. This story would definitely cause the graph to take a significant dip...

edit on 5/15/2013 by UberL33t because: GPS

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Waste of space entitled elitist human trash...

I had a friend growing up who was disabled, he was always ashamed when we would go to parks and have him brought to the front, even though waiting in line was hard he'd often refuse to go to the front, at some point it became required as him waiting in line with his crutches was considered a hazard, he always felt humiliated.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The last time I went to Disney we took my mother in law. She has an open wound on her leg and circulation issues.
So she couldn't walk for very long. We rented a wheelchair for her.
We bypassed all the lines for all the rides we went on.
I can certainly see why people would want to do this and pay well to do it.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

It's pretty crappy that people would take advantage in this way but I have to look at the bright side of the situation: Disabled people who might otherwise not be able to find a job have found a way to make a paycheck without having to rely on the government to support them, and they get free trips to Disney to boot. Maybe not fair but it's a win/win for the disabled folks who have a job!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

According to the New York Post, the so-called "black-market Disney guides" run $130 an hour. That's $1,040 for an eight-hour day.

Sheeesh!......$1,000 per day!

Not saying that I agree with it, but if I was disabled and had a chance to make an easy grand a day.....that's tempting to say the least.

Makes you wonder.........who is exploiting who?
edit on 15/5/2013 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
There those wealthy people go again... All thinking they are better than everyone else again. What did you expect OP? A wealthy person who was willing to wait in line like the rest of the cattle? We all know they are better than us anyway. We should probably bow our heads when the uber rich come within sight of us.

MOTF!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Maybe not fair but it's a win/win for the disabled folks who have a job!

You know, that is a very positive point of view...with that post, you just caused my "faith in humanity" graph to head up

It's still wrong from an exploitation and fairness point of view...but your post just goes to show, that there is indeed a positive in any event, should one choose to find it.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

It seems someone has figured out how to take advantage of the 1 percent!!!! The only problem I see with it, is that they should charge them 10k a day!!!!!

Bravo for Entrepreneurship!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

*snip*

Your calling disabled people "gimps"

disgraceful.
edit on 5/16/2013 by maria_stardust because: Edited out quote of a removed post.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The other thin about this is Disney offers this service as a VIP thing, they just have to pay a bit more than the 1000, this is how they are bypassing that fee, getting the disabled on the cheep.

Ads another level to the scummyness of it when that are not only taking advantage but they had a slightly more expensive option...

People for this have never watched a love one have their disability singled out and shamed by the whole thing.
edit on 15-5-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Just noticed this thread, I posted another one because searched the term 'Disneyland' so this one did'nt show up prior to my posting. sorry.

Anyhoo yeah, money really can buy you everything. Makes me sick

link   

link   

I dont see what the big deal is, the disabled kid gets to get paid to go to disney land, it beats getting a hand out job at walmart or mcdonalds

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

You are proposing that they make money based solely on the fact that they are crippled. THAT is disgraceful. Don't get caught up on words I use because you don't know me.

Why is it disgraceful?

If a disabled person has the opportunity to earn a fantastic wage walking a wealthy family around Disneyland....you think that's disgraceful?.....why?

I'm not "getting caught up on words".....you called disabled people "gimps".....I don't really want to know you if that's your views

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

I dont see what the big deal is, the disabled kid gets to get paid to go to disney land, it beats getting a hand out job at walmart or mcdonalds

My biggest problem with this is in order to do this you need a physical disability, not mental...

These people are not defined by their disability they are mentally as capable of doing complex jobs that require intelligence.

This type of exploitive thing reduces them to being only their disability, even the assumption that they couldn't get work otherwise is distasteful.

Sorry if that's harsh but I've done a ton of work with disabled individuals both volunteer work and later through rehab when I had a stroke. Some of the most intelligent and capable people I have ever known are those that went through the adversity of having a physical disability.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

My biggest problem with this is in order to do this you need a physical disability, not mental...

These people are not defined by their disability they are mentally as capable of doing complex jobs that require intelligence.

This type of exploitive thing reduces them to being only their disability, even the assumption that they couldn't get work otherwise is distasteful.

Sorry if that's harsh but I've done a ton of work with disabled individuals both volunteer work and later through rehab when I had a stroke. Some of the most intelligent and capable people I have ever known are those that went through the adversity of having a physical disability.

I understand where you are coming from! I wrote a post on this yesterday and just decided not to even bother posting it because I didn't want to maintain the arguments that would have come up!

When I first read this article I got disgusted! THEN, I sat back and digested it for a few minutes and I actually busted up laughing at the pure genius behind it!!!!

Here is the kicker!!!! The article that the OP posted to doesn't say what I read yesterday, but a mother said in the article I read, "This is a benefit of being in the 1 percent!"!

The nerve of this bitch right? So if the 1 percent is so comfortable with paying 1k for this "privilege" then I think they should pay 10k for the same service? Screw em!

It is time for people to quit being victims to these scum and use em just as they use us!!!!

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I would really like to hear from the (disabled tour guides) that were hired; what they think about all of this. Perhaps for some...this does not bother them...and they are glad to have a job and get paid; they may know what is going on...but still enjoy their job.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Not a bad job. How much do they pay? And I get to hang out and a theme park and go on rides all day?

Beats what I'm doing now. Especially if I'm already getting benefits for my disability.

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

Originally posted by DocHolidaze

like i said though they get paid to go to disney land, once you cut through all the political correctness. i do understand were your comming from though

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join