It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vet defies city ordinance banning display of military flags

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Can you believe that this proud (wounded) U.S> military veteran, flying the flags of the various services of the U.S. is being forced to remove them or go to jail (if he does not pay the $300.00/day fines). The town is comparing the flags for the armed services to beer signs! More reason to drop this zero-tolerance, banning insanity that has gripped this nation.

Vet defies city ordinance banning display of military flags

Colosimo, a wounded Marine Corps vet, is passionate about United States Armed Forces. His granddaughter, grandson, and son-in-law are all serving in different branches of the military. So, Colosimo decided to fly military flags representing all our servicemen and women in front of his the restaurant.

The town passed a new law in March that has caused this issue:

These flags have been here every weekend for two years, but just this week, Colosimo received a letter from the city informing him that flying the flags violates a new city code passed in March.

I applaud this man for standing and fighting unjust and stupid laws passed by short-sighted men and women only interested in staying in power by cow-towing to the most vocal (but usually minority) voices.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Krakatoa

Sad indeed!

I read this, this morning and have been in a state of depression comparable to what some might think as hell itself!

Why???

I wish people could only see, that by their selfishness and beliefs in corrupt political criminals, that we are ALL suffering!

The longer we allow them to separate us by race, politics, religion and wealth and we are so idiotic and stupid to support the rights of one individual having their rights taken away from them just because it doesn't apply to our beliefs,,,,,,,then the United States of America is DEAD!

BRAVO!!!! I hope looking in the mirror and feeling the pride that "YOUR TEAM" won, is worth it! Soon you will see how those you support are going to turn their backs on you and your families!

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Why do you advocate not following rules laid down by society?

If he and others do not like the law than why not take steps to change it legally?

Can you imagine the trouble our country would be in if everyone just picked and choose which laws they want to follow?

I agree that its a stupid ordinance but it still should be followed until it is changed.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Because, stupid and unjust laws that tarnish the sacrifices for that free speech should be defied. It is the basis of our entire country (as history shows). There are times when standing up, defying those laws are the only thing that will get them changed.

Too many atrocities and wrongs have been perpetrated upon a countries citizenry by people blindly following laws. Taking a stand, for a noble cause, is never the easy path. It takes intestinal fortitude, honor, and character. More than I see most people here spouting off about "follow that stupid law because they say so".

Not for me....I repeat. I applaud his taking a stand. It is people like him and his family that provide that freedom of speech that allows people to complain by the way. Don;t you think that honoring them by simply flying a flag (not advertisements) is a small cost for that freedom???

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

u r wrong. we not only have to abide by the constitution,we r suppose to defend it including against our own government. not doing so we will lose this country.just becuse someone makes a law doesnt mean they r right nor that u should do it.;lets say the law says obama'S DHS HAS THE POWER to throw u in guantanamo just because u dont like muslims or u dont go to the "right" church, would u give up your fredom n go quietly??????????? hell no. once we were a great nation with the ideal that we could get along by overlooking our differences.now we r a country where if i dont like u or what u stand for or what u do i just make a law against u.n then u must conform to my ideals. is that the country we want to b part of???? that is what just do as u told because i made a law will get u.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krakatoa

Because, stupid and unjust laws that tarnish the sacrifices for that free speech should be defied. It is the basis of our entire country (as history shows). There are times when standing up, defying those laws are the only thing that will get them changed.

Too many atrocities and wrongs have been perpetrated upon a countries citizenry by people blindly following laws. Taking a stand, for a noble cause, is never the easy path. It takes intestinal fortitude, honor, and character. More than I see most people here spouting off about "follow that stupid law because they say so".

Not for me....I repeat. I applaud his taking a stand. It is people like him and his family that provide that freedom of speech that allows people to complain by the way. Don;t you think that honoring them by simply flying a flag (not advertisements) is a small cost for that freedom???

How is there no way to change this law other than defying it? How about telling the council members they won't get elected again if they don't change it?

And who is following it blindly? Simply following a law is what is expected, whether you agree with it or not. As I've stated, if you don't agree with it then change it. We do not get to pick and choose which laws we want to follow.

And one person's noble cause does not mean everyone agrees that it is noble. Perhaps many people do not want to look at the flags for whatever reason. Is their cause any less noble than this man's is?
edit on 13-4-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

seems that worked in history just ask women about voting or better yet the indians or blacks.u forgot to read what was stated. the dude had the flags for 2, Two yrs, THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THEY MADE UP A LAW.wasnt like he went out n robbed u when he knew it was wrong. do u realize how many laws there are?? do u know everyone of them??? do u not realize if they just make up a law then tomorrow u could b in jail also??
hows that go: they came for the catholics ,i aint catholic so i iggnored it n did nothing. they came for the jews,i aint jewish so i did nothin,..... in the end they came for YOU n who was / will b left to save YOU????

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

tell me something : who woul;d b offended by our armed service men and women?? who wwould b upset???? the terrorist??? seriously when u tell me who wouyld care thaqt had this law made u have solved why it matters.
would u want that type of person living with u???

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

How is there no way to change this law other than defying it? How about telling the council members they won't get elected again if they don't change it?

And who is following it blindly? Simply following a law is what is expected, whether you agree with it or not. As I've stated, if you don't agree with it then change it. We do not get to pick and choose which laws we want to follow.

And one person's noble cause does not mean everyone agrees that it is noble. Perhaps many people do not want to look at the flags for whatever reason. Is their cause any less noble than this man's is?

We can defy laws when they are over reaching and step on our rights. This is not HoA where you give up your rights to certain things, this is a local government denying a person the right to make a public show of support on their property. A show of support that does not harm nor infringe upon the rights of others. Their is the little thing called freedom of speech in this country the case could easly be made he is be denied it. Of course going to court can be expensive, so a simple act of defiance with a phone call to the local press with create enough public outrage that the law with quickly be struck down.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz3

tell me something : who woul;d b offended by our armed service men and women?? who wwould b upset???? the terrorist??? seriously when u tell me who wouyld care thaqt had this law made u have solved why it matters.
would u want that type of person living with u???

Well people that are anti-war may become upset, people who do not like flags would be upset, there are many reasons why people wouldn't want to see flags just as some may not like to see a certain color of paint on a house or a lawn filled up with non-running vehicles.

I don't know the specifics of why this ordinance was passed so can't comment on it.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad

We can defy laws when they are over reaching and step on our rights. This is not HoA where you give up your rights to certain things, this is a local government denying a person the right to make a public show of support on their property. A show of support that does not harm nor infringe upon the rights of others. Their is the little thing called freedom of speech in this country the case could easly be made he is be denied it. Of course going to court can be expensive, so a simple act of defiance with a phone call to the local press with create enough public outrage that the law with quickly be struck down.

Well you are wrong that a city cannot say what you may place on your property.

In fact, they can in many instances. In a town near where I live every house must be painted a certain color because it is a theme the city is trying to create for tourism. So what the city is doing is not necessarily infringing on your freedom of speech rights.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
In this case it would seem perfectly reasonable in the next election to bring their local government down and implement one that will abolish that silly by-law.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
In this case it would seem perfectly reasonable in the next election to bring their local government down and implement one that will abolish that silly by-law.

Exactly my point.

This is how you implement change legally and correctly.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
A man running a bar with "Americans for First Amendment Rights" right in the name and on the road sign?

They sure picked the wrong fight with the wrong man if they didn't want to run this one all the way to the top. Now he just needs to wait for true enforcement action to be taken before he has standing for an actionable case. This ought to be one to follow. I have a feeling the average for costs will go FAR beyond $300/Day for the city by the time they've lost this little fight over a real bad idea.

Everything is "legal" until someone says it isn't and takes it to Court to prove the point. They sure found the guy who sounds like he'll do it.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

"Well people that are anti-war may become upset, people who do not like flags would be upset, there are many reasons why people wouldn't want to see flags just as some may not like to see a certain color of paint on a house or a lawn filled up with non-running vehicles."

Boo Freaking HOO. Its HIS buisness. He can decorate it anyway he sees fit.

God what is happening to this country? Theres all sorts of stuff I dont like seeing,CRIMINAL THINGS that continue to this day such as millions of illegal immigrants running around our streets. You know- REAL LAWS that NEED TO BE enforced to the max but never do.

Yet we have time to go after a citizens form of free speech to honor his families contributions to his own country?

This isnt a criminal offence, and until the day that all of our freedoms are suppressed by people who want to control others citizens rights, then I say to that man... FLY THE FLAG...and FLY IT HIGH.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

So you would have no issue with people flying Nazi flags in your neighborhood?

Or how about art that depicts things such as deaths of children proudly hanging from some building in your city?

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Or how about art that depicts things such as deaths of children proudly hanging from some building in your city?

Both straw man arguments, and you know that. Blatant attempt to derail and deflect...and I'm not biting.

To stay on topic, and not to be deflected from the topic at hand, this story is in regard to flying the flags of the American Armed Forces, by a man that was a member of those forces, that was wounded in the performance of his duties in those forces, and whose family is currently engaged overseas in defense of this nation. This expression is in honor of Americans, performing a dangerous duty, FOR the American people, in defense OF the American people. IT is not any advertisement for marketing or recruiting purposes, of for any other non-American institutional purposes that Americans risk their lives performing.

posted on Apr, 13 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

well if they did that in this counjtry- they nor their buisness would survive very long now would they?

free speech is free speech.

black panthers fly their flags and intimidate voters at the polls....yet its allowed.

free speech is free speech.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Why do you advocate not following rules laid down by society?

If he and others do not like the law than why not take steps to change it legally?

Can you imagine the trouble our country would be in if everyone just picked and choose which laws they want to follow?

I agree that its a stupid ordinance but it still should be followed until it is changed.
mostly because "rules" are for children.

ordinances are NOT 'law' ... and should not be honored as such.

sure, look around you ... neighbors, LEOs, Congress, POTUS ... pick one, they all choose to follow whatever law they feel appropriate or create a new one if the mood is right.

i disagree.
even 'laws' were made to be broken, hence, ordinances don't stand a chance

this particular ordinance has 1st Amendment infringement written all over it.

posted on Apr, 14 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

how and when did the Nazis defend the US or any American for that matter ??

btw, a large Rebel flag is displayed near a major Interstate here in FL ... it is part of our heritage, why shouldn't we be 'permitted' to fly it ??
(yes, it's controversial but that isn't the point)

do you mean like the murals in the Denver airport ??
or maybe the miles of graffitti in TX/CA/NY/NJ/FL and a host of others ?

why would you even consider following any 'directive' that goes against exercising freedom ??

new topics

<<   2 >>

join