It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This May Be A Very Important Day For Gay Rights

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Fox

The Supreme Court could actually legalize same sex marriages nation wide with their ruling today. About time, in my opinion. This should not even be a government matter.

I find it strange that this has been kept so quiet until now. It also seems strange that Hillary just popped, out of the blu, with a statement supporting gay marriage a few weeks ago. This may be the day.
edit on 26-3-2013 by supertrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by supertrot

Yea and a possible slap in the face for democracy, since this case is based on challenging the majority of people that voted for Proposition 8 in California.
edit on 26-3-2013 by TriForce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Be careful of what you ask for when the other takes half are more of what you got. With marriage sometime comes the divorce guess it will change the meaning cheaper to keep her

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

You're right... it shouldn't be a government matter, but since it is, it should be at the state level and not the Federal level. The voters of California voted to not have same sex marriage in their state. That should be the end of it right there. The SCOTUS has no Constitutional authority to over rule the voters of a state on a state issue. I would make the same argument if the roles were reversed... if California voted FOR same sex marriage, and the SCOTUS were entertaining the idea of over ruling that.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce

Yea and a possible slap in the face for democracy, since this case is based on challenging the majority of people that voted for Proposition 8 in California.
edit on 26-3-2013 by TriForce because: (no reason given)

Good...since we aren't a democracy...democracy being slapped down is a good thing.

Long live the Republic.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
So less than 4% of the population is gay. Why is it such a huge issue? Why is it in the hands of SCOTUS when the people of California already voted on it and said no? If SCOTUS takes the case then it would be at least June before the results are in. If gay people just want the same rights as married people then why did they not just go through Civil Union Laws? The whole thing sounds more like a bunch of 4 year olds screaming for a toy to me.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Good for America. Any day we can support equality is a good day.

Nice to see the government give the finger to religious idiots too.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Gay rights! LoL

What about Human rights?

We are all people after all!

Political correctness gone mad IMHO!

When did a minority start wagging the majority's tail?

Democracy my left bum cheek!

link   
I could care less of this 'issue' let them marry their dogs if the wish. My problem is that with this overturn of the voted law, that a chosen lifestyle will get a bonus, supported by taxpayer funds. With a ruling of this type, g&l will have more access to adoption of children. If you choose a lifestyle, you should deal with it's limits, period, done, OVER. If your chosen life has limits as in procreation, you can not reproduce, therefore you must be given special rights to 'be a family',you should just have to learn to cope with your choice. If a forced adoption is ruled, then the indocrination process begins with this child and this is just reality, period. The child has no choice, and the enviornment IS part of the indocrination. I say let them have it, but forced family rulings should be off the table forever. Want a family? Hire a sub, don't like it? not the child's problem.

link   
I don't understand why people are so bothered about gay people marrying.

Whats the concern? Yous act like its going to cause some sort of gay apocalypse

Originally posted by teslahowitzer
I could care less of this 'issue' let them marry their dogs if the wish.

You mean 'Couldn't care less' - To say you "could care less" means you have a bit of caring left - Which is illogical given what its meant to intend

Sorry, I couldn't help my self

edit on 26-3-2013 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I don't even know why this is an issue,.... what people don't realize is, if you go against it, then they will speak even louder... just let people marry whoever they want to.... as long it is not intruding on to your lifestyle you should have no problem.

Last thing i want is someone screaming "more gay rights!" because some stupid religious person said something bad about them....

Let people live their life! whatever that is!

edit on 3/26/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Because it destroys the sanctity of marriage for those who believe in it. All for 4% of the population. It will also creates yet another great divide in America just like Roe vs Wade did. We don't need more division. The people have voted on it and said no. Go after Civil Unions. Why destroy the sanctity of marriage when you can get the same result with civil unions? Why must "marriage" enter into the equation when they obviously don't believe in God/Bible anyway? This is just more destruction heaped onto society for no reason.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by teslahowitzer
I could care less of this 'issue' let them marry their dogs if the wish. My problem is that with this overturn of the voted law, that a chosen lifestyle will get a bonus, supported by taxpayer funds. With a ruling of this type, g&l will have more access to adoption of children. If you choose a lifestyle, you should deal with it's limits, period, done, OVER. If your chosen life has limits as in procreation, you can not reproduce, therefore you must be given special rights to 'be a family',you should just have to learn to cope with your choice. If a forced adoption is ruled, then the indocrination process begins with this child and this is just reality, period. The child has no choice, and the enviornment IS part of the indocrination. I say let them have it, but forced family rulings should be off the table forever. Want a family? Hire a sub, don't like it? not the child's problem.
Ugh.

I don't know what else to put. Lots of kids need a loving home, many children are placed into care for many reasons. Having gay parents will not make you gay. That is retared thinking. Do you think also that straight couples who can't have kids should just deal with it and move on? What about all the kids in care who need loving homes, do you think they really care if it's with 2 men or 2 women? You talk of indoctrination, who indoctrinated you with hatred?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
So less than 4% of the population is gay. Why is it such a huge issue? Why is it in the hands of SCOTUS when the people of California already voted on it and said no? If SCOTUS takes the case then it would be at least June before the results are in. If gay people just want the same rights as married people then why did they not just go through Civil Union Laws? The whole thing sounds more like a bunch of 4 year olds screaming for a toy to me.

Why didn't those blacks just sit at the back of the bus, and drink from the fountain made special just for them? Why did they have to make a big deal about it? And all those Jim Crow laws were approved by the people in the states that passed them. Discrimination isn't right, even when the majority of a state votes for it. Sometimes SCOTUS has to step in and make things right.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

reply to post by n00bUK

Because it destroys the sanctity of marriage for those who believe in it. All for 4% of the population. It will also creates yet another great divide in America just like Roe vs Wade did. We don't need more division. The people have voted on it and said no. Go after Civil Unions. Why destroy the sanctity of marriage when you can get the same result with civil unions? Why must "marriage" enter into the equation when they obviously don't believe in God/Bible anyway? This is just more destruction heaped onto society for no reason.

Oh my God, the sanctity of marriage. Should we talk about the high divorce rate of HETEROSEXUAL marriages? Should we talk about abuse and abandonment that goes on in HETEROSEXUAL marriages? Should we talk about some of the non-sanctified reasons HETEROSEXUAL people get married, like for money, prestige, power? Should we talk about sugar-daddies, and trophy wives? How has all those existing issues affected the sanctity of your personal marriage?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

reply to post by n00bUK

What right is it of any percent to say who can and can't marry?

On one hand I'd agree with the civil union thing, but that's because I'm not religious, others are and have the right to choose. But....What diffference to peoples lives will this actually make? You know, actual differences which matter. Other than to gay people who will be able to get married to the one they love. What business is it of any straight person, to tell anyone else that they can't marry? Why is it their problem? It's not going to affect any of you, in any way shape or form.

Destroy the sanctity of marriage, oh purlease. Divorce exists, there is NO sanctity in marriage. All these 1 week weddings, it's oh so very sacred.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Blame he Democrats, The Civil Rights Bill was written in 1872 by 2 Republicans,passed in 1875 by a Republican Congress and ignored by Democrats for over 80 years. JFK revisited it and the Democrats filibustered it until JFK was killed. LBJ took full advantage of it and enslaved the black community to the Democrat party with entitlements ever since.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Why do "They" feel the need to turn our world into what amounts to Sodom and Gomorrah all over again?

Why cant people just do what they do to each other in the privacy of their own homes without feeling the need to scream their sexual preferences from the roof tops?

Your queer, we here, and so do my kids!

There in lies the problem im afraid!

The planet is not a gay pride march, stop screwing with the sensibilities of society!

PLEASE!

edit on 26-3-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I don't even know why this is an issue,.... what people don't realize is, if you go against it, then they will speak even louder... just let people marry whoever they want to.... as long it is not intruding on to your lifestyle you should have no problem.

Last thing i want is someone screaming "more gay rights!" because some stupid religious person said something bad about them....

But it wasnt "some stupid religious person" It was a majority vote by the people in one of the most liberal states in the United States

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce

Originally posted by luciddream

But it wasnt "some stupid religious person" It was a majority vote by the people in one of the most liberal states in the United States

Equality should never be up for a vote in the first place.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join