It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters successfully shut down California Monsanto office

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

A recent two-day protest in Northern California against genetically-modified organisms (GMOs) led to the complete shutdown of a Monsanto corporate office for an entire day, according to reports. On Friday, March 16, 2012, activists affiliated with the Global Days of Action to Shut Down Monsanto began rallying in front of the Davis, Calif., office of Monsanto, where they held up banners, gave speeches, and set up tents in front of the Monsanto building on Fifth Street, which caused the biotech giant to shutter its operations.

“In the course of the two-day event, activists held up signs, gave speeches to inform and inspire each other and solidify the movement, drafted a resolution about Monsanto with many proposed solutions to be presented to the California legislature, celebrated each other and went “freeway blogging” – displaying a large hand made banner that said, “Shut Down Monsanto” on the Pole Line Road overpass over I-80,” writes Mark Graham of Food Freedom. “Thousands of drivers were shown this message.”

Trueactivist.com

Apparently the occupy movement is still doing its thing. Although i am now on the fence about how i feel about the GMO issue, i still believe monsanto is the devil. I support this activity and hope the trend continues.
edit on 24-3-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-3-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

The activists blocked entrances to Monsanto which kept employees getting to work.

www.news10.net...

Ok. So, now what?

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I support this activity and hope the trend continues.

I second that!
Next is the Senate, Congress and the White House! Kick their butts to the curb. Put them out of business! Start over...Though Good luck with that. We're OWNED!
edit on 24-3-2013 by relocator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by relocator

Next is the Senate, Congress and the White House!

What's the point? They don't seem to be able to accomplish much of anything anyway.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Right!! Sucks being a slave!

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Not sure Phage, i'm curious to this myself. Obviously one act of shutting down one office only once wont have an impact.

The thing i notice is, is movements work off of momentum. This Occupy movement is losing momentum so we can expect it to go nowhere. What would be nice is for us to be able to continue a growing trend of opposition towards the establishment like this.

link   
reply to post by relocator

I guess it would.
But I wouldn't know.

link   
Woohoo!

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Experiencing some Normalcy Bias eh?
It's okay... I understand.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

It doesn't seem to really be part of the Occupy movement as such. At least these guys apparently have a specific goal in mind.

I don't see this being particularly effective though. What comes next, if they do it again, is arrest for trespassing or for blocking public access.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Would be great to shut them down for a day nationwide though. At least that might be more effective in sending them a message.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Maybe.
But I think Monsanto already knows the message.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The way I am thinking about it, is that sure Monsanto probably knows that a lot of the public has discontent with their products, business conduct... whatever. That alone will not motivate them to do anything, especially if their profits are the same or negligibly lower.

However, with no one being able to get to work, there is surely money to be lost. What happens if the bottom, "dispensable" workers they employ quit because they cannot work? Sure one day, two days can't do a bunch, but if it happens regularly enough, or if this group can pull together for a while then just maybe something will happen from it. Plus, it does send a message. Enough messages turn into a powerful statement.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

It doesn't seem to really be part of the Occupy movement as such. At least these guys apparently have a specific goal in mind.

I don't see this being particularly effective though. What comes next, if they do it again, is arrest for trespassing or for blocking public access.

...Or any other trumped up excuse that can be thought up to do away with the peoples right to peaceful protest about an issue that is and ultimately will be effecting every man, woman and child on this planet eh?

Curious as to whether you're in the USA or China Phage..going by some of your posts on this thread it's difficult to tell.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Twix404

However, with no one being able to get to work, there is surely money to be lost.
Absolutely.
The protestors have a right to protest.
However they do not have a right to trespass or to prevent employees from reaching their workplace. They won't be allowed to do it again.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No they don't have the right.
However, only by buying politicians does Monsanto have the right to do the nasty crap they do.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

They may not be allowed to, doesn't mean they won't. Eventually the public won't just stand by and take rules into account. Sure this time they may stand down, again it has to do with the end message. The "rules" need to be broken at some point, it's just a matter of time.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
And blocking off one office is going to achieve something? Congratulations too them, Monsato probably have a bunch of pissed off workers who didn't get their pay packet in time, well done.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
With regards to Monsanto what needs to be done, is their thugs need to be bushwhacked when they trespass onto innocent farmer's land to trump up charges against them. Everybody is looking at the protest the office angle and I think more direct and forceful action is needed. Monsanto steals innocent farmer's land by sending in thugs, provocateurs, and private dicks to search farmers land for "volunteers" that is plants growing that were not planted by the farmer, but have blown in on the wind, pooped out by birds, etc. Then they sue the farmers and steal their land. Monsanto is not run by ethical people and it does not employ ethical people. They should be fair game for any and all tactics used to eliminate them.

For those who want links, well Let me google that for you.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I honestly believe these occultish dark hats running this world like to heap on the most illegal activities to accomplish their monopolies and power over others, (their legislations are not law, they are crimes when they violated common law, the thou shalt not harm litany, and constitution) .

Then act as if they are demon judges of people trying to trump them with karma if they attempt to shut down their murdering, thieving, corruption by tresspassing or interfering with their criminal behaviors.

Basically Monsanto is committing massive crimes against humanity and there are public employees/politicians, involved and others. Their business is actually a crime front, their private property should be seized, it should all be quarantined by the courts.

What really really bothers me is, due to illegal bought off courts and police, these guys aren't dealt with properly.

When people do it, they're considered criminals by the criminals.

So people need to organize to be in every community, the majority citizen in the country becomes the first level of government and find out how to do their own arrests and investigations and justice.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join