It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Chicago Police brochure peppered with black stereotypes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

A police brochure distributed at the North Chicago Police Academy last week has raised some ire over its less-than-thoughtful racially-tinged illustrations.

www.nbcchicago.com...

On one page, comedian Dave Chappelle appears as Tyrone Biggums, the stumbling junkie with crack residue around his mouth.

On other pages of an official North Chicago police handout, a smiling African American man is handcuffed in an orange prison jumpsuit and another is portrayed as bug-eyed and slack-jawed in a mugshot. The handout — given to participants of the new North Chicago Citizen Police Academy last week — was intended to illustrate trial procedures. It had a much different effect.

newssun.suntimes.com...

Here is the link to view the brochure:

www.suntimes.com...

This was created by an African-american police officer. Not only does this portray black stereotypes, but also makes fun of the political system, and white police officers. This was handed out at the North Chicago Police Academy.

I can see how this may have been created for humor purposes, but it falls very short of humor, especially considering that it was passed out at a police academy.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Tyrone Biggums? Seriously?

Whoever made this needs to be fired....but we all know that probably won't happen.
edit on 13-3-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I'm sorry.. I can't help it. It's funny as heck and I don't care what anyone thinks to say it. Given the well intentioned meaning in creating it and the downright tragic community reaction under the circumstances, I just can't help myself.

Talk about a HUGE example of where the norms and regular standards of society with the Law Enforcement/Court world break from those outside it. This isn't quite black humor....(Not a racial term, the OTHER black humor) but..what? Tone deaf cop speak? Perhaps that's as good a way as any.

Personally, I think if people looking to assist with police work in a city as brutal and dangerous as Chicago are starting with skin that thin, they very seriously picked the WRONG idea of ways to spend their time. They're in for reality shattering truths if this is an indicator.
edit on 13-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The handout looks like it was created by a middle school student.

Racial stereotypes are evenly spread. But what did anyone learn b seeing this handout?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
show some professionalism, what a failure, i can understand something like this coming out of a dorm room in college, but a police academy?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
edit - wow.. my first dble post - Delete plz.
edit on 3/13/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/13/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Wow is this for real? Someone please tell me it isn't because I'm scared to think society has dumbed down THIS far. lol

Tyrone Bigums, Judge Judy, Lindsay Lohan, etc. It's like a farce.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
My, my! It seems that the "thought police" are out in force today!

I'm more disgusted by the "double standard" displayed in the article, and this thread. If Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, Dave Chappelle, or the cast of "Saturday Night Live", had done something similar, many of you would find it hilarious, instead of outrageous.

I'm with "Wrabbit2000" on this one!

See ya,
Milt
edit on 13-3-2013 by BenReclused because: Typo

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused

I'm more disgusted by the "double standard" displayed in the article, and this thread. If Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, Dave Chappelle, or the cast of "Saturday Night Live", had done something similar, many of you would find it hilarious, instead of outrageous.

See ya,
Milt

I agree, if it was a skit on a COMEDY SHOW, I would think it was amusing, however, seeing as it was a brochure handed out at a POLICE ACADEMY, I fail to find the humor...

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BenReclused

I'm not offended or outraged. I just think it is a bizarre strategy for something supposedly professional.

It's like using Looney Toons characters for a DOD pamphlet.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think it's fantastically funny.

That guy should write for The Onion!

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

I agree, if it was a skit on a COMEDY SHOW, I would think it was amusing, however, seeing as it was a brochure handed out at a POLICE ACADEMY, I fail to find the humor...

As I said:

I'm more disgusted by the "double standard" displayed in the article, and this thread.

Why do you feel the faculty members of a "POLICE ACADEMY" should be restricted from displaying a sense of humor?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
oh it's so funny they produce a unprofessional piece of literature and these are the guys that "serve and protect" you

I wonder what this guy thought about the North Chicago police's funny piece of paper...

Oh wait they beat him to death he can't make a response he'll have to get back to you.

Allegations of Police Brutality Dog North Chicago

His mother said his only recognizable feature was his feet.

SO FUNNY

edit on 13-3-2013 by Komonazmuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I just think it is a bizarre strategy for something supposedly professional.

I disagree! Humor is a GREAT medium, by which, to convey a message!

It's like using Looney Toons characters for a DOD pamphlet.

I'm not going to look up a source for it, but I'm fairly certain that's been done more often than you would believe. Hell, poor old Daffy was even "drafted" by the 600th Bombardment Squadron.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Alright, but as soon as 'Achmed the Dead Terrorist' becomes the public relations icon of DHS, I'm calling our nation as a full blown idiocracy.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Alright, but as soon as 'Achmed the Dead Terrorist' becomes the public relations icon of DHS, I'm calling our nation as a full blown idiocracy.

There's no need to wait for "Achmed "! We already have a "full blown idiocracy"!

See ya,
Milt

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused

See ya,
Milt

You are right. I would have found it hilarious but there is a difference. Everyone you named is a Comedian, not a law enforcement agency.

That being said, I fail to see what the so called "stereotype" is. Fact is, Blacks make up 12-13% of the population and account for 40.1% of the prison population in 2009. So showing a back man in a prison jumpsuit is not a stereotype at all... it is a reflection of reality.

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

I would have found it hilarious but there is a difference. Everyone you named is a Comedian, not a law enforcement agency.

In that case, perhaps you'd like to answer my previous question:

Why do you feel the faculty members of a "POLICE ACADEMY" should be restricted from displaying a sense of humor?

See ya,
Milt

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

No one is claiming they should be restricted from showing a sense of humor. However, they should be more mindful of how what they put out is perceived. Fact is, I couldnt make jokes like this at my job, I would be fired. I can't make black jokes, gay jokes, anything like that. So I think the better question here is, why is a Police Academy held to a different standard than your average working person?

posted on Mar, 13 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

No one is claiming they should be restricted from showing a sense of humor

I reckon that depends on one's perspective. It seems that YOU are claiming that.

However, they should be more mindful of how what they put out is perceived. Fact is, I couldnt make jokes like this at my job, I would be fired. I can't make black jokes, gay jokes, anything like that. So I think the better question here is, why is a Police Academy held to a different standard than your average working person?

The "FACT IS": The "Academy" didn't do that! And, you already said so:

I fail to see what the so called "stereotype" is. Fact is, Blacks make up 12-13% of the population and account for 40.1% of the prison population in 2009. So showing a back man in a prison jumpsuit is not a stereotype at all... it is a reflection of reality.

I appreciate the answer, but your justification wasn't valid: You used a "different standard" for your comparison.

See ya,
Milt

top topics

<<   2 >>

join