It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mongolian Death Worm

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Yes Estragon, New Zealand was originally inhabitated with only Birds, Lizards, Couple species of bats, and the insects. All mammals (except the bats) where introduced.

We did have about 11 species of Moa, a large flightless bird ranging in height (measured to the top of the head in an upright standing position) from 0.8 m to 3.0 m tall.
The largest Moa is estimated to weigh 240 kg.

Often hunters in the New Zealand bush mistake the introduced Red Deer for a Moa, usually after a heavy session of Dope smoking.

As for worms, we do have a native bush worm (I,ll try find the scientific name later) that when fully grow will have a dia. 1.5 cm and an overall length of 1.0m, When fried on the Barby and lightly salted they taste bl##dy good, mate.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maddas
But these sightings are still waiting to be verified.

Everyone knows that the "Sober Aussie" is nothing more than a myth.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Sounds like the Aussie witchetty grub! Out here it's silkworms that fit the bill - and they're rather fond of deep fried insects -cockroaches are very popular.
I imagine that's why the Death Worm stayed north of the border - Sasquatch would be a bar snack ten seconds after he set foot in China: they eat anything on four legs except the table!

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Hence the tired joke in the USA about stray cats and dogs disappearing when a chinese restaurant opens up. That is standard urban legend in the USA. Estragon or anyone else, has there been any reports of this creature by what might be called a reliable witness. In the USA, we keep getting reports of Big Foot sightings from what could be called reliable witnesses (i. e., park rangers, exprienced hunters, etc.).
These people know a bear when they see one and when they report they saw a man-like creature that was not a bear, I would tend to listen to them.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 09:51 AM
link   
There's a chap called Ivan Mackerle who's big on the Death Worm, j-flieger.
As for urban legends -we're a bit conservative in the North of China but I can assure you: name the creature and I'll take you to the right market. They're most omnivorous in Guangdong (Canton).

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I'm going to check for New Zealand cryptids in my cryptozoology book and get back to you, I know they had a section on them.

XAOS

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
2 poisonus spiders? um i can think of 3 off the top of my head, daddy long legs, katipo, white tail. nasty lil barsteds those white tails jump like an olyimpic athlete and you have to smear them with the sole of your shoe to kill them, they just wont squash!

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The Daddy long legs, a bl##dy scary spider, Housewifes have to be on the look out all the time for them. You only have less than 1/4 hour to get the antiserum into ya if they can bite ya.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 07:42 PM
link   
How can a creature be called a worm when it can be up to 4 feet long? That's no worm to me.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I agree, Illmatic: you'd catch a helluva fish with one!
However, it's worth remembering just how much worms can stretch and, apparently, genuine 24ct worms of 7-8 feet are known in Australia.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Wormfans (and they are the strangest beasties) can find out more about worms, sex and the meaning of life here: www.nmnh.si.edu...

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maddas
The Daddy long legs, a bl##dy scary spider, Housewifes have to be on the look out all the time for them. You only have less than 1/4 hour to get the antiserum into ya if they can bite ya.

you're kidding right ?
The daddy long legs may be poisonous however it is impossible for it to inject venom into you, as it's fangs are too small. So it is harmless to humans.

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I was intrigued to learn, once more, how names and meanings change: in England, a Daddy Longlegs is a singularly harmless little beastie.
However, some claim the other Daddy-L has been grossly misrepresented!
Daddy-facts here: spiders.ucr.edu...

posted on May, 11 2003 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Illmatic67 haven't you ever been to Arakis?

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hi people... just trawling the web there and came across your forum... You might like to know that as far as im aware we're only the 2nd set of people to go in search of the allghoi khorkhoi... Check out our website if you get time at www.extreme-expeditions.net we've written a piece as well for fortean times magazine which hopefully will go in in the next few months... cheers!

ID

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I am in no way disputing that the creature may exist as it is very possible, however how would one witness such a deadly creature and live to tell the tale? If it can shoot acid several feet and produce electrical charges I have a hard time believing that someone saw it and ran. Also, I agree with several people who theorized that it is not in fact a worm but a subspecies of snake.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
Illmatic67 haven't you ever been to Arakis?

stay away from the spice I'm warning you

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
there has been this theory that ancient civilizations have fought a nuclear war with one another and have created large desert areas like the gobi desert maybe the death worm was a regular worm until it was mutated...
or should I take my medication?

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The Golden Palace in my town is located right behind the vet's office. I mean right behind it. It'd be easy for Fido and Felix to find their way on the Restaurant side of the fence!

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Ah this old chesnut, I've known about this legend since the early 90's when an expidition went in looking for it. Not long after the ban was lifted. But if anyone wants to see one (if they exist) then sponsor me and i'll go bring one back.

<< 1    3 >>

join