It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff's Dept. Offers Free Firearms Training For Children

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

The Sheriff's Department in Caddo Parish, Louisiana is inviting children to participate in the "Kids First Gun Program," which will teach young children how to safely operate firearms. The four hour course, which will be held this Saturday, January 12th, is recommended for children who received a new BB gun, shotgun or hunting rifle for Christmas or for those who may already have a gun. Sheriff Steve Prator told Shreveport Times, "Children who will receive a gun for Christmas can try it for the first time in front of certified law enforcement academy firearms instructors.

"Parents are wise to want their children to know basic firearms."

Children between the ages of 8 and 12 are welcome to attend the course with BB guns, pellet guns, .22 rifles, and small caliber shotguns. The course is free and is sponsored by donations from local citizens, Walmart, and local wholesalers. Children without a gun can use a gun that will be supplied by the academy, according to Shreveport Times. All children must be accompanied by an adult.

Hey ATS, I know there has been infinite amounts of gun debate going on lately, for and against. But I thought I'd bring this article to the front that demonstrates how police departments can take responsible action, and train youth on the importance of firearms, and how to use them properly.

I think teaching children early on about firearms is key in teaching children how to respect a firearm. It's good to see that the police aren't ready to just take all the guns they can get as fast as they can. Kudos to this police department for spending the time to teach these children proper firearm use.

It wouldn't hurt for people to bring this kind of topic up with their own local police.

Source
edit on 1/13/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

S&F

My father taught me and my brother from an early age how to handle firearms. I was shooting .22 rifles by age 8, knew how to dismantle and clean guns, knew responsible gun behavior.

In seventh grade, we had a mandatory class called Hunter Safety. It taught how firearms work, how to use a gun safely, the laws in your area about hunting, etc. At the end of the course, we had to shoot a couple of different guns at a gun range. I didn't do well, I've never really enjoyed shooting, but at least the shotgun recoil didn't knock me on my butt like it did so many others.

Teach kids responsible gun ownership, remove the "mystical" view of guns, show them the danger they can do...and keep your ammunition and guns separately locked up.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I for one say this is a good idea, If our kids are educated on how to handle and fire a weapon, they can see what type of damage it can cause. Maybe, just MAYBE, we won't have as many kids accidently shooting their siblings.

But, the down side, some of the younger kids need to be told, to never use a weapon on anyone, in any circumstance, unless their life is in danger.

Star and flag, I have no idea how to applause, bump a thread, but this needs to be seen by everyone.
edit on 13-1-2013 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by eXia7

S&F

My father taught me and my brother from an early age how to handle firearms. I was shooting .22 rifles by age 8, knew how to dismantle and clean guns, knew responsible gun behavior.

In seventh grade, we had a mandatory class called Hunter Safety. It taught how firearms work, how to use a gun safely, the laws in your area about hunting, etc. At the end of the course, we had to shoot a couple of different guns at a gun range. I didn't do well, I've never really enjoyed shooting, but at least the shotgun recoil didn't knock me on my butt like it did so many others.

Teach kids responsible gun ownership, remove the "mystical" view of guns, show them the danger they can do...and keep your ammunition and guns separately locked up.

I personally grew up around guns, I was a late bloomer in actually going out and shooting them, but my dad used to hunt, so I'm glad a lot of people learned responsible gun ownership and proper use at an early age.

thanks for your input

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepolish1
I for one say this is a good idea, If our kids are educated on how to handle and fire a weapon, they can see what type of damage it can cause. Maybe, just MAYBE, we won't have as many kids accidently shooting their siblings.

But, the down side, some of the younger kids need to be told, to never use a weapon on anyone, in any circumstance, unless their life is in danger.

Star and flag, I have no idea how to applause, bump a thread, but this needs to be seen by everyone.
edit on 13-1-2013 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

I agree with you on your downside, but again I believe that is the job of the parent to keep an eye on their child's mental health.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I'd see proper training as to involve the child and make them part of the moment where there's a nasty person in the house that they can clearly and calmly use it safely to protect themselves and be also able to ignore the weapon when there is no need for it

Good training was what made everyone able to bear weapons safely and with no legal crap and its only now that the trainings gone that people have to look to other ways to be safe

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Oh, how progressive. Junior Spree Killer Schools. Just what the USA wanted.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
I'd see proper training as to involve the child and make them part of the moment where there's a nasty person in the house that they can clearly and calmly use it safely to protect themselves and be also able to ignore the weapon when there is no need for it

Good training was what made everyone able to bear weapons safely and with no legal crap and its only now that the trainings gone that people have to look to other ways to be safe

Prove weapon safety has ever been a priority since the 2nd was ratified.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanAstikov

Equating responsible gun ownership with junior killers? What an asinine post.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Can you show me any instances where a mentally sane child/teen that was taught proper firearm use at an early age has gone out and committed a mass murder? Again, you have to look at the way these shooters get firearms, and the contributing factors that cause them to lose it. Which is in most cases some type of drug for mental health issues.

You can stop these problems by being better parents.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

Can you show me any instances where a mentally sane child/teen that was taught proper firearm use at an early age has gone out and committed a mass murder? Again, you have to look at the way these shooters get firearms, and the contributing factors that cause them to lose it. Which is in most cases some type of drug for mental health issues.

Exactly, and that would involve not letting any but the most well-adjusted pre-18 yr olds get involved in learning how to be competent with any firearm they can lay their hands on. It's not like the children will ever be able to take them out in the real world where they might feasibly need them. Essentially, they are being trained to be an extra gun around the house if the # ever hits the fan, and I'd have thought any caring parent would not want their children on the front line in that kind of scenario.

But, if you're training them to overthrow a tyrannical govt, ala Sarah Connor, I'm sure it's a great idea.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanAstikov

What i mean is that good weapons practices were taught to the children by default as part of holding a firearm from their parents, yep theres nothing in the 2nd that says about education but give a 100 3-4 year olds a flintlock with no training i'd hate to see the possible death toll once one takes another's teddy bear and they can take it back by force

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Exactly, and that would involve not letting any but the most well-adjusted pre-18 yr olds get involved in learning how to be competent with any firearm they can lay their hands on. It's not like the children will ever be able to take them out in the real world where they might feasibly need them. Essentially, they are being trained to be an extra gun around the house if the # ever hits the fan, and I'd have thought any caring parent would not want their children on the front line in that kind of scenario.

But, if you're training them to overthrow a tyrannical govt, ala Sarah Connor, I'm sure it's a great idea.

I don't think you're getting the point. So here, I'd like you to check this post out, it's very informative

15 Year old boy uses AR-15 to defend from burglars

It's not about teaching your kid to use a gun to fight on the front lines of a war that may never happen, It's about teaching your child how to use a firearm properly if their life is in danger.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Yes, I keep seeing this thrown up as a justification. The way I see it, if his Sheriff father hadn't been such a cheapskate on the home security, the 15 yr old would never have needed to defend a home invasion through both the front and back doors at the same time. It sounds to me like this kid just got extremely lucky that the attackers hadn't come armed to kill looking for his dad.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   

It's not about teaching your kid to use a gun to fight on the front lines of a war that may never happen, It's about teaching your child how to use a firearm properly if their life is in danger.

Okay, tell me when that's likely to happen to an 8 to 12 yr old and the parent isn't going to be around? Are you going to let your children go to the 7/11 to spend their pocket money carrying a kiddy-sized Glock?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

reply to post by eXia7

Yes, I keep seeing this thrown up as a justification. The way I see it, if his Sheriff father hadn't been such a cheapskate on the home security, the 15 yr old would never have needed to defend a home invasion through both the front and back doors at the same time. It sounds to me like this kid just got extremely lucky that the attackers hadn't come armed to kill looking for his dad.

Well, when you say security, do you mean like barricaded windows and doors? sensory turrets, booby traps? what are you talking about?

if he had some home security system, it would've alerted police to go check it out, it could take 5 - 10 minutes for them to get there, and those children could've died. Remember, it's not a 1 size fits all scenario, each situation happens on a case by case basis.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

reply to post by eXia7

Well, when you say security, do you mean like barricaded windows and doors? sensory turrets, booby traps? what are you talking about?

if he had some home security system, it would've alerted police to go check it out, it could take 5 - 10 minutes for them to get there, and those children could've died. Remember, it's not a 1 size fits all scenario, each situation happens on a case by case basis.

You'd expect a cop's home to get priority response. If it takes 5-10 minutes on average for a cop to respond to an alarm call, that's how strong the home's entry points need to be. You can't call your home your castle and have windows that any well-covered maniac could just dive through.

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Another insane thread...

Give guns to kids now

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

reply to post by eXia7

You'd expect a cop's home to get priority response. If it takes 5-10 minutes on average for a cop to respond to an alarm call, that's how strong the home's entry points need to be. You can't call your home your castle and have windows that any well-covered maniac could just dive through.

Well that is fine and dandy, but your average person isn't going to be able to afford big fancy security, and wait for police to finally respond. It just seems you like lumping everything into 1 group, and that isn't how it works.

So I assume your stance is, that it's a bad idea for children to properly operate a firearm, and that it's ok to dope them up and allow other people to take care of them, instead of teaching them responsibility?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon
Another insane thread...

Give guns to kids now

Yeah, I don't think you're seeing the point of the thread, and that is about a police department, with trained professionals teaching children how to be smart about firearms. I figured you guys would eventually make your way here.

<<   2  3 >>

join