It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Crime records; Maybe the news is not telling what is going on?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I was listening to Coast to Coast and John B. Wells 01/08/2013 who mentioned the crime statistics out of England so I thought I would go to his source and see if I heard the broadcast correctly.

www.thesun.co.uk...

[QUOTE] The true picture emerges from police records. They show:

Violent crime UP 14 per cent in a year, from 1,016,700 offences in 2003 to 1,159,400 in 2004, with the most serious, such as wounding and homicide, UP 16 per cent to 12,000 offences.

Gun crime UP three per cent to 10,590 — more than one an hour.

Injuries in firearm attacks UP 19 per cent from 1,810 to 2,150.

Use of imitation weapons UP by 35 per cent to 2,560 offences.

Sex offences UP nine per cent, from 49,700 offences in 2003 to 54,400 offences in 2004.

The use of “other firearms” — machine guns, CS gas, disguised firearms, paintball guns and stun guns — UP by 38 per cent.

And even these figures are seen by experts as the tip of the iceberg.

Professor Jonathan Shepherd, of the independent Crime and Society Foundation, warned numbers could be four times as high, with many stabbings and minor gunshot wounds going unreported.

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk... [END QUOTE]

[QUOTE] Ministers claim the number of offences is falling. But Autoglass researchers say there were 2.5million attacks on vehicles last year.

Motorists say they have given up the battle.

Seven in ten say nothing can be done to stop thieves and two thirds believe their chances of becoming a victim have increased in the last five years.

Stereos still top the crooks’ most-wanted list, with 574,910 going last year.

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk... [END QUOTE]

www.thesun.co.uk...

[QUOTE] SHOCKING new figures have revealed that one offence involving a knife is committed every 24 minutes of the day.

Figures from 37 police forces, released to a national newspaper under the Freedom of Information Act, showed there were 5,500 serious crimes involving knives in just three months this year.

The statistic is equal to one every 24 minutes, around the clock, and includes 55 knife-related murders, more than 2,000 stabbings and almost 2,500 muggings at knifepoint.

The Tories immediately criticised the Government for ignoring the true extent of the knife crime problem on Britain’s streets and claimed their denial was adding to the issue.

Campaigners also criticised the Government for failing to implement tougher measures against offenders, and insisted they needed to take the issue far more seriously.

The newspaper claimed the figures, which listed different areas according to the number of knife attacks, were the first-ever meaningful representation of knife crime on British streets.mpu

They revealed London, Manchester and Birmingham to be the worst-affected areas, while West Yorkshire, Merseyside and Northumbria police forces were also in the top 10.

During just April, May and June this year, the Metropolitan Police in London recorded 1,580 offences - more than quarter of the national total.

A breakdown reveals 17 people are stabbed or robbed at knifepoint in the capital every day. [END QUOTE]

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

In many threads I have refrained from passing on what some British X-pat has told me when I am at the farm overseas. A couple of guys complaining about their birth country and the reason they left does not a statistic make...only an opinion by a few guys who have chosen to leave.

I wonder if those who do not lock their doors and feel so safe and secure with no firearms actually know what is going on in their country? Are your news services reporting crime or are they doing selective crime reporting like the states?

A couple of the articles really ripped the government's stated statistics but I do not live in the UK so I really do not know...only what I have been told and read.......

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
No this can't be.... this information must all be fabricated. The UK is a utopia where no crimes are ever committed!

So based on this information the UK is clearly just as bad as the US when it comes to violent crimes.......interesting. That's too bad I was hoping to move there one day because I heard it was one of the last countries that still had unicorns that frolicked in fields of lollipops and rainbows.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Are you really getting all your info from The Sun??

I would delete this thread while you still can.

Edit: i just saw you're not from the UK, so not your bad!
FYI: the Sun is the equivalent to a child's comic in the UK

edit on 9/1/13 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Sounds like a very violent place to live!!! I would be scared to death to live in a place like that..can't they do something? Tougher laws maybe? Or maybe a curfew to control when people are out at night or something? And that many knife attacks? Are these people not smart enough to keep knives under control?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Could you please start again and show actual real links for the claims instead of using the Sun newspaper.......seriously?!

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenEars123

Just to add it is a Murdoch rag, he helps spread fear and TBH all his papers have lost any credibility after the hacking scandal.
I think crime may have increased but seeing that unemployment is high the crime rates are bound to go up.
I feel safe as houses in West Yorkshire, I see the odd fight after the pubs shut but that is it.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by OpenEars123

Just to add it is a Murdoch rag, he helps spread fear and TBH all his papers have lost any credibility after the hacking scandal.
I think crime may have increased but seeing that unemployment is high the crime rates are bound to go up.
I feel safe as houses in West Yorkshire, I see the odd fight after the pubs shut but that is it.

Thanks for the info not being a Brit I do not know what is going on there anymore other than what I hear or read. Used to have a British girl friend from St. Anns by the Sea many years ago so I have spent a little time there, but that was a long time ago. Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
it all depends on the area you live.
you walk in a bad area at night and you will be luck to get out alive.

the police dont let the press or the public know about a lot of crimes.
like gay race hate from Muslims. the police keep this very quiet.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

Red top newspapers and especially Murdoch's The Sun really aren't good barometers of crime in the UK. We are a violent nation – no argument, but your source material needs to improve beyond a newspaper that sells on sensationalism.

There are some very serious issues revolving around crime in the UK, but people who use the equivalent of The National Enquirer in the UK as a 'source' annoy me. We are a little waring nation with big problems, but you would get a better idea of things by touring statistical sites – even the government has some quite revealing information on crime in the UK.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpenEars123
Edit: i just saw you're not from the UK, so not your bad!
FYI: the Sun is the equivalent to a child's comic in the UK

edit on 9/1/13 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

Or toilet paper

top topics

join