It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Charged Under Health Care Law With Videotaping Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It just never stops here in America. Everywhere you turn you find a story about the police overstepping their boundaries and acting like we live in a police state. More officer education into our constitutional rights should be inforced and they should be reminded regularly of these things.

SOURCE

Andrew Henderson watched as Ramsey County sheriff’s deputies frisked a bloody-faced man outside his Little Canada apartment building. Paramedics then loaded the man, a stranger to Henderson, into an ambulance.

Henderson, 28, took out his small handheld video camera and began recording. It’s something he does regularly with law enforcement.

But what happened next was different. The deputy, Jacqueline Muellner, approached him and snatched the camera from his hand, Henderson said.

“We’ll just take this for evidence,” Muellner said. Their voices were recorded on Henderson’s cellphone as they spoke, and Henderson provided a copy of the audio file to the Pioneer Press. “If I end up on YouTube, I’m gonna be upset.”

Henderson calmly insisted he was within his rights to do what he was doing. He refused to give his name.

His is the latest in a string of cases nationwide involving citizens who record police activities.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I read this one a week or so ago.....

The headline, (which is not your fault but the one used in the article) is a tad misleading as far as the health care law bit...

It was the police officer who used that code of law to charge him with the so called crime and not the actual intention behind anything in the healthcare code.

This female officer is a total jackass and a disgrace to ANY law enforcement official who trys to do their job the right way!

She basically had nothing to charge this guy with so she was grasping at straws as to what she could charge him with! I hope he sues the hell out of the police department and this idiot cop loses her position of authority!

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I agree the articl title is a bit misleading. I believe they were trying to use HIPAA as a basis for the obstruction charge. Either way the police were in the wrong. I have a feeling things will end up going his way as he did nothing wrong.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by seeker1963

I agree the articl title is a bit misleading. I believe they were trying to use HIPAA as a basis for the obstruction charge. Either way the police were in the wrong. I have a feeling things will end up going his way as he did nothing wrong.

Correct they are invoking HIPAA and the DA so far is going along with it. A half-knowledgeable lawyer should be able to hand the DA their back-side if this case proceeds as stated.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It is my opinion that the gentleman should prefer charges against the officer immediately. Theft would be the obvious first count and secondly her contact with him can be ruled as battery, just to name a couple.

Considering how the law works in reality, (guilty until proven innocent) the two aforementioned charges should plant her posterior in a cell. One who is suspected of battery, is considered a risk to society until proven innocent of the charge.
edit on 9-1-2013 by ajay59 because: to add

I would like to further add that her comment about appearing on Youtube is a clear showing of intent and motivation.
edit on 9-1-2013 by ajay59 because: to add

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Clearly this so-called police officer has no clue on the rights of citizens. If this guy was either on his own property or on a public sidewalk, and if he in no way was obstructing the officers, he has every right to film whom he pleases.

top topics

join