It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant squid filmed- Amazing footage of monster of the deep captured for the first time in Japan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Scientists and broadcasters said Monday they have captured footage of an elusive giant squid roaming the depths of the Pacific Ocean, showing it in its natural habitat for the first time ever.

The massive invertebrate is the stuff of legend, with sightings of a huge ocean-dwelling beast reported by sailors for centuries.

The creature is thought to be the genesis of the Nordic legend of Kraken, a sea monster believed to have attacked ships in waters off Scandinavia over the last millennium.

Modern-day scientists on their own Moby Dick-style search used a submersible to descend to the dark and cold depths of the northern Pacific Ocean, where at around 630 metres (2,066 feet) they managed to film a three-metre specimen.

After around 100 missions, during which they spent 400 hours in the cramped submarine, the three-man crew tracked the creature from a spot some 15 kilometres (nine miles) east of Chichi island in the north Pacific.

Museum researcher Tsunemi Kubodera said they followed the enormous mollusc to a depth of 900 metres as it swam into the ocean abyss.

Read here for more explanations.

8 meters long!

edit on 7-1-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Hello,

Good find, thanks for sharing ( S&F )

SS

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
July, 2012. Yeah i thought i heard about it before.

Ain't no tellin what's down there man!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Amazing!!! Glad we were finally able to capture a giant squid in its natural habitat.

Thank you!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

theres not a human on earth im afraid of, ill happily walk around the 11 mile stretch of forest near where i live at all hours of the night....but giant squids man.....
terrified of them

and dont get me started on good ol' megalodon

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
very cool. of all the denizens of the deep, i think meeting a very large, very hungry squid would be one of the worst possible marine encounters for anyone lost at sea. even the relatively small humboldt squid are hugely aggressive and formidably armed.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Without anything else around to give it scale it could really be only an inch long for all we know. HOAX

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Simply amazing. I have to disagree with the infographic stating that the giant squid is "one of the last mysteries of the ocean". We know more about the surface of the moon than we know about our oceans.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Interesting find. The oceans of this world are truely just as mysterious as outer space. Hopefully the next strange creature they prove to exist is Sasquatch!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Only in Japan!

With all the radiation leaking over there I'm sure they'll have footage of a real Godzilla soon!

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The Japanese are very unforgiving when it comes to seafood. Good find, hopefully it's healthy and keeping its distance from fishing boats.
edit on 7-1-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Theres a video coming out from discover this month that will show the most recent video footage of one. I can't wait been waiting til I seen this one video. discoveries is suppose to be bigger hen this one. It's suppose to air on the 27th of this month. great find OP I love these things.

www.seattlepi.com...
www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Wait for it ... Wait for it......Release the Kraken !

Let's go diving !

edit on 7-1-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Elevenaugust, great catch mate, here's another pic showing a sperm whale eating one.

Moby Dick comes to life: The astonishing rare images of a sperm whale feasting on a giant squid

The captivating pictures show adult sperm whales feasting on a rare giant squid. Though the squid looks small beside the enormous whales, it is thought to be an incredible eight to ten metres long.

link

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mugen
July, 2012. Yeah i thought i heard about it before.

Ain't no tellin what's down there man!

I could have sworn I saw this already. Is there a time loop?

Why does it seem like this just happened?

Yahoo - The Kraken Wakes

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Judging by your Mugen avatar, you smoke alot of pot, hence why it seems like it has happened before.

Btw. Love Samurai Champloo

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
offtopic mate
edit on 1-8-13 by Mugen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Mugen

Fair enough, i suppose, perhaps you saw a similar video when they found that giant squid eyeball a few months back. Come to think of it you really do hear a lot about them in the news don't you?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

uh oh....Japan.....

F U Giant Squid!!!!( In Japanese)

So are they going to hunt and EAT it now?

LOL

J/K Japan. Love you....and hate Dolsafin along with you.....bastards...

now seriously....

WOW this is amazing!

I bet it is a left over from one of earths giant creatures/ Plants eras of the distant past...

It is hard to even grasp the sheer size of the thing. The camera does it NO justice if that scale is accurate....(and I think it is, you can see them hit it with a green laser to determine its distance and so its relative size)
Good find OP...S&F for sure....

edit on 8-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
what is the light flashing at 9 seconds in . Looks like its attached to the 'squids head ?

2nd

top topics

<<   2 >>

join